SAU Community

Nur Engine Pistons & Rod

Hey guys,

I've had a mate offer to sell me his R34 GTR NUR spec pistons and rods.

Now these parts have had about 3000km of use as he bought a brand new crate motor but has now decided to build a nitto bottom end.

I wanted to know a few things to see if it would be beneficial for me to buy them or not.

It'd be going in my R33 gtst so can I still use the same crank?

How much boost would I be able to run with these?

What other things would I need to run these I'm thinking new bearings, new piston rings, upgraded oil pump, do timing belt while I'm at it, water pump, head gasket.

Also I'd need my block and/or head to be machined?

And finally I have 660cc injector and a 3037s turbo and run a max of 18psi, at what stage would I have to also upgrade these if doing all this work.

Thanks in advanced for the help

Cheers jonny

You will need a RB26 crank to go with the Pistons as the RB25 and RB26 have differing Compression heights

As for benifical....RB26 rods are Stronger than RB25 rods...but the cast pistons are much of a muchness

Hey guys,

I've had a mate offer to sell me his R34 GTR NUR spec pistons and rods.

Now these parts have had about 3000km of use as he bought a brand new crate motor but has now decided to build a nitto bottom end.

I wanted to know a few things to see if it would be beneficial for me to buy them or not.

It'd be going in my R33 gtst so can I still use the same crank? you will need the 26 crank as piston have a different comp hieght, though you can deck the block 1.5mm to suit

How much boost would I be able to run with these? depends on tune but 20-22psi should be safe

What other things would I need to run these I'm thinking new bearings, new piston rings, upgraded oil pump, do timing belt while I'm at it, water pump, head gasket. these are all a good idea

Also I'd need my block and/or head to be machined? not block, if stock size pistons then a quick hone and clean and use a stock head gasket, heads upto you if you want to get a higher comp ratio then yes

And finally I have 660cc injector and a 3037s turbo and run a max of 18psi, at what stage would I have to also upgrade these if doing all this work. not they are fine as even if you get the 26 crank you will only gain 70cc

Thanks in advanced for the help

Cheers jonny

if going to this effort just get fordged

Thanks for the help...

The main thing I didn't want to do is spend all this money then only be able to run 4 psi more than I do now..

I'll be saving up for forgies then

Realistically if your motor isn't dead now.

Just wait.

Then rebuild, use your crank and GTR rods (they are all same) and get pistons to suit.

Changing the bottom end won't magically mean you can run more boost either.

It not dead but it's passed 200,000km so I've always got that in the back of my mind...

And if I went down the path of building a motor then I'd want it to run more boost so I can make the most of my current set up because I think it has more left in it but dont want to push it to much.