SAU Community

Apple Game Console

EeLeYe

RUMOUR CONTROL

Apple could be getting back into the console game market with a helping hand from Valve, according to a report on Cult of Mac.

apple_logo_23631_embed.jpg

Is the console market big enough for Apple, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo?

The Apple-focused news site followed up reports that Apple CEO Tim Cook visited the Bellevue, Washington, headquarters of Valve last week with an explanation for the executive's trip. According to Cult of Mac sources, Apple is preparing a TV set for release later this year that "will come with an Apple-branded, Kinect-like video game console." According to the site, the system will rely on motion and touch controls, possibly through a touch screen remote that will come with the TV.

Linky

I think it's a crazy idea that the Apple fan-boys will be jizzing their pants about. I mean, I've got an iPhone but a console???

The first line, "Apple could be GETTING BACK INTO the console market" means that at some point they had a console...

This would not be Apple's first attempt at cracking the game console space. The company teamed with Bandai in 1995 to launch Pippin, a multimedia console based on the Macintosh operating system that also allowed users to access the Internet. The system flopped, selling just 12,000 units in the US before Bandai pulled the plug on it.

And by going with the general Apple trend, does this also mean it'll have "previous-gen" hardware??

It would want to have some major points of difference to have any chance against the established players. I cant see many gamers willing to go past the next gen playstation or xbox for an apple device, maybe nintendo might feel some pressure in the casual gamer/budget market.

Apple has gotten where it is through clever marketing and making devices more accessible/less intimidating for the average end user. I doubt most gamers need apple to come in and dumb things down.

apple fanbois will all have epic jizz parties if it comes out. general gamers will probably think it sucks. like all apple products i think it will suck donkey balls until it is jail broken.

Don't forget it will need iTunes for games....then Apple will try and sue Microsoft for patent vioaltion because they created the kinect type controller first and Microsoft copied the look and feel...LOL

Honestly...I don't know why Apple would want to get into the console market (again)....as it cost so much to develop a console these days

Don't forget it will need iTunes for games....then Apple will try and sue Microsoft for patent vioaltion because they created the kinect type controller first and Microsoft copied the look and feel...LOL

Honestly...I don't know why Apple would want to get into the console market (again)....as it cost so much to develop a console these days

sif apple will spend too much money on it, at least to start with. they will just release some half arsed version with half the features of every other console on the market, sell it to the masses of apple fanbois, then in 12 months time release an upgraded version, which all of the fanbois will also go out and buy. pretty much like what they did with the iphone.......

it was all a terrible rumour; no one from valve has met up with anyone from Apple, shows how bad the reality distortion field is these days lol

to my thinking, Valve and Apple are mutually exclusive, as Steam is an app ecosystem of the same style as Itunes.

That is a valid point although I don't think an iPad really compares to the current generation of games consoles available. Having said that the versatility of the iPad can not be disputed. Not only the fact that it can do the job of other products but it does them much better. Consider these examples:

If you own an RC car and are doing some work on it you can use the iPad to chock wheels. That is not a typing error - a conventional wheel chock prevents one wheel from moving however the vastly superior iPad will chock TWO wheels of your RC car AT ONE TIME!!

Then let us consider the iPad as a practice hockey puck - a traditional hockey puck is fine for tournaments but for practice the iPad is vastly superior. It has a rectangular shape which necessitates excellent technique when attempting to attain the desired direction of movement. In addition the greater weight of the iPad will build upper body strength.

Finally let us consider another use of the iPad. Conventional toilet paper is limited to a single use. The iPad once again demonstrates it's superior versatility. Wipe, hose off and reuse.

I am sure other people will be able to list many other uses fo the iPad.