SAU Community

Experience With Tmu

Buraz

Last night coming back home through Chapel street, my mate gets pulled over by a tmu for apparently running a red light! We get told that the incident is being recorded and asked what the reason for running the light was.

Some clowns jumped infront of the car as we were entering the intersection so had to break and then go again causing us to go through a yellow light. He didn't believe us and said it was a clear red light and that he didn't see anyone crossing infront of us. Even tho we were respectful and polite without any arguments, he still issued the fine of $305 and 3 points, but said he'd review his recording and call back if we were telling the truth and withdraw the fine.

We thought he was talking shit and wouldn't review anything. We went home pissed off swearing and cursing as both of us were 100% convinced that we didn't run the light or do anything wrong.

What do you know, my friend received a call today from the officer saying that the fine would be withdrawn as we were right about everything and he saw those clowns jumping infront of us as well as going through a yellow light. He withdrew the fine and was nice about everything.

Is this a new thing or has it been around for a while? Apparently all tmu cars have this now. This was the first time i'v heard of it and I reckon it's a good thing. Obviously they made a mistake and could have cost my mate a lot of money if there wasn't for any recording or proof. Back in the day in a situation like this anyone would have copped the fine regardless if you were right or wrong.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

I had a similar issue.

Cop coming head on got me at 105km/h in 100 zone. Did u turn and pulled me over.

It was in a rural area near train line crossing which is 80km/h zone.

I was about 200m out of 80 and into 100 zone and he said I was still in 80 zone.

Did me for 22 over and was rude as he obviously thought he was right.

He said he will head back and if I am right will drop the fine.

He showed up to my work later that day and apologized and dropped the fine.

Good on em for doing their job properly, I imagine there would be more than a few who wouldn't bother looking at the footage especially if the person they pulled over gave them stick over it.

The cynic in me thinks that they might get audited/reviewed every now and then, so maybe they take extra caution with the camera in place?

Other than that, good on him. There are some good cops out and about. I was let off once when I was clearly speeding 10-15km/hr over the limit. I won't compare the good with the bad though lol, we'll be here all day.

Yeah definitely good on them!! I mean this particular one was still fairly arrogant and rude in a way but we didn't argue or anything cause there's no point either way and to his credit at the end he was fair and did the right thing.

My brother had a fine a few years back for his car being unregistered - was pulled up by the HWP, given a $550 (or so) fine and told to pay the rego by the end of the day or fine would stand. Ended up paying the rego the same day, sent in a proof of payment to the cop and the fine was withdrawn in the next week. Thought it was pretty good of them. Brother genuinely went overseas for a few months, didn't realise his rego expired and just got the fine literally 2 days after coming back. Thought that was nice of them.

Also had a cop let me off for speeding before (was doing 100k in 80k zone) years back when I was late for work one morning, then he noticed the car had bald tyres on the front. Was let off on the speeding fine, gave me a defect (just stating to fix tyres, no fine), let me drive the car home that night and I cleared the defect next morning with new tyres. Only paid for the new rubber in the end, no fines. That was the best cop I've ever met, went out of his way for me. Sure learned my lesson then though.

Another time had a cop spot me going a bit fast in the opposite direction in Kew (down Yarra Blvd), about 60k in 50 zone, ended up with him doing a u-turn and noticed them flying to catch up and follow me. Lights on and straight away I indicated to pull over. Asked me if I was speeding, told him "a little". Did his usual checks on the car, just told me "take it easy it's a bit dangerous around these bends, have a good night". Thought I was going to get a canary for sure there, had brand new shiny intercooler installed, side-mounted plates, new exhaust.

But I've had one genuinely bad experience with police. Main reason I don't drive the R34 much anymore, unfortunately one bad experience is enough to put you off.

Okayyyyyyyyyy.... GO!

Well, long story short, got canaried for something ridiculous because the copper is a known wank. Read this post I made in another thread in 2008, explains some of what happened. A few other people have dealt with this guy before on SAU, so he clearly has it in for imports (and he admitted it to me with my brief encounter) - he is a genuine douche this guy. Worst cop I've ever met, hands down.

I've only had bad experience even since before I was driving. Each time I have been confronted by a policeman I have never been doing anything wrong and I have always been polite and respectful to them and got nothing back in return. Hopefully one day I will come across I nice one.

TMU coppers are well equipped with cameras. I did something stupid a while ago and when the copper ended up finding me he basically said take this fine for 25kmph over or ill pull up distance per second on my camera.... i took the fine ofcourse lol

Was in Tasminia few weeks ago, was driving a hired Barina on the country roads, it was an 80 zone, but the roads were so open and quiet, ended up doing 100.

An on-coming officer saw me and flashed me to stop, and I did, he did a u turn and came up to my window. Of course I was being polite and all, asked if I know the speed limit on this road and I told him yes, 80. Then asked if I knew how fast I was going, I said around 90? then he told me he snapped me at 102.

So I gave him my drivers license and all, and he went back into his car to do the usuals. Ended up coming back to me with a written up ticket but all crossed out, saying "conditional warning" and just said don't speed again or I'll fine you next time..

I didn't bother reading all posts, but it should be known that there is an FOI (freedom of information) Act and anyone can obtain information that is documented or recorded, file and stored but nothing strictly confidental of course at a cost. This is one of the first thing lawyers do if you do hire one to defend you, oh and also sting you with a massive bill, LOL!

Edited by 81gSKy

• 2 months later...

Last night coming back home through Chapel street, my mate gets pulled over by a tmu for apparently running a red light! We get told that the incident is being recorded and asked what the reason for running the light was.

Some clowns jumped infront of the car as we were entering the intersection so had to break and then go again causing us to go through a yellow light. He didn't believe us and said it was a clear red light and that he didn't see anyone crossing infront of us. Even tho we were respectful and polite without any arguments, he still issued the fine of $305 and 3 points, but said he'd review his recording and call back if we were telling the truth and withdraw the fine.

We thought he was talking shit and wouldn't review anything. We went home pissed off swearing and cursing as both of us were 100% convinced that we didn't run the light or do anything wrong.

What do you know, my friend received a call today from the officer saying that the fine would be withdrawn as we were right about everything and he saw those clowns jumping infront of us as well as going through a yellow light. He withdrew the fine and was nice about everything.

Is this a new thing or has it been around for a while? Apparently all tmu cars have this now. This was the first time i'v heard of it and I reckon it's a good thing. Obviously they made a mistake and could have cost my mate a lot of money if there wasn't for any recording or proof. Back in the day in a situation like this anyone would have copped the fine regardless if you were right or wrong.

Anyone else had similar experiences?