SAU Community

Ford XR6Turbo v Skyline

:headspin:

I found this interesting discussion of the Ford XR6Turbo Forums Today...

I never realised that Ford Fans are that arrogant!

Logged in as: rob19

Log Out My Controls · 0 New Messages · View New Posts · My Assistant

What's Going On?, XR6T v R34 rear-wheel drive turbo

Attach New Poll | Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic

rob19 Posted: May 6 2004, 05:42 AM

I was lent a just released DVD called Serious Performance 7. It featured a track (Oran Park) test between a 300+ kw XR6T and a 220 kw Nissan R34 GTT. The R34 turned out to be the better car...Why?

Honestly...let's come up with some figures:

XR6T 1700 kg 300+kw rear-wheel drive tiptronic

R34 1400 kg 220kw rear-wheel drive tiptronic

XR6T 176kw per tonne

R34 157kw per tonne

Also, both cars were driven by professionals - Warren Luff (XR6T); Ric Shaw (R34)

Warren commented that the skyline seemed to have more power than the XR6T.

Any comments. Has the T just been out-classed by a similar (non 4WD) car with much less power?

ktford Posted: May 6 2004, 07:21 AM

Put your spoon between your legs & say bi bi. Picking on the boss's ride 1st up you must have for brains. Hope you weren't expecting a serious reply as you certainly don't deserve one!

Scotty CCC

--------------------

I'm just wondering who's got for brains.

300 plus kilowatts beaten by 220kw ricer. What gives?

ktford Posted: May 6 2004, 07:35 AM

I know which car is more popular on this website

Scotty CCC

--------------------

rob19 Posted: May 6 2004, 08:05 AM

I am not trying to put you down with the comments made.

I love the XR6T.

My post was a legitimate query on what everyone thinks on how to improve the performance of the XR6T not just in terms of power output but as an overall package.

True, it's still early days but the progress being made is terrific.

Scotty CCC...you don't have to react in such a defensive manner. It makes the Ford community look bad!

ktford Posted: May 6 2004, 08:21 AM

Well Rob,

you come here with a 1st post dumping on a car that's very special to us all here, wether you knew it or not. The performance of the XR6T doesn't need improving at all. You must take another look at the cars & ask yourself a question of why they're of different performance levels. Then you might make a decision to think about what you say before you just try to envoke abuse (which I believe is your ambition) from people who'd obviously take it to heart any criticism of their choice of ride.

By the way, I love my XR6T

Scotty CCC

--------------------

cvanxr Posted: May 6 2004, 08:55 AM

I watched the same clip via a link on this site. I remember the drivers also praising various aspects of the T. I think some of the comments could be taken with a grain of salt. I think as proved by some members that the T has a huge performance modification potential.

And yes Chris's car looked great.

--------------------

plonky Posted: May 6 2004, 08:57 AM

How is the Datsun a better car?

For starters the DVD is in that Series targeted towards the Performance Stickers and Bodykits brigade.

What was the criteria for judging the difference between the cars.

Is it straight line acceleration ( I think the APS Ph2 XR6T has already shown it's merit at Eastern Creek - into the 10's already)

Is it handling? (The BA has already shown it's merit in Targa Tasmania and GTP)

Is it Performance Stickers and Bodykits factor ( The Datsun wins hands down with the "Doof doof" brigade - The Falcon is too 'Skippy' for these people)

The basic fact still remains that the Falcon has a larger base engine (4 litre as opposed to 2.6 litre) which makes it a bigger air pump, thus a bigger explosion in the cylinder, thus more torque generated, thus more 'twist' or pulling power.

The comparison falls apart on the fact that you are comparing a 4 door family sports sedan with a pseudo sports two door car which is a poor man's version of it's GTR sibling.

--------------------

ducatijb Posted: May 6 2004, 09:04 AM

Ahh Plonky ...youv'e still got it

Rob19 enjoy the forums

--------------------

one gripe Luffy had, and he mentioned it a few times, was the suspension of the T. But he does point out that the T is a road car and not a track car though.

I too grabbed the clip from the link on the forum!

--------------------

[email protected]

Benny Posted: May 6 2004, 09:33 AM

I'm not saying that the skyline should have won over the T seeing the T has so many more features but what everyone needs to remember is that both cars are of quality build and have quite good performance.

Why is it that people critisize all jap import cars just because there are a heap of jabbers out there that wack stickers on them with over the top body kits. If you take the time to look over some of these smartly engineered cars you'll see that not all of them are jabbing pieces of crap.

Ok now I prepare for the onslaught of replys.

I do love my BA

Falchoon Posted: May 6 2004, 09:45 AM

Why are you shooting the messenger Scotty? Rob19 is just reporting the facts. He didn't say he personally preferred the R34, just that the people on the DVD did.

Why did they say R34 was a better car? Was it based purely on performance around OP? Maybe a lighter car is just easier to through around on a race track, the XR is rather porky as we all well know.

--------------------

hoon only because it was his entrance to the site & 1st ever post. Bit to co-incidental for my liking.

Scotty CCC

--------------------

rob19 Posted: May 6 2004, 12:30 PM

"The comparison falls apart on the fact that you are comparing a 4 door family sports sedan with a pseudo sports two door car which is a poor man's version of it's GTR sibling." ...plonky

Precisely my point...how could a poor man's "pseudo-sports", two door car that belongs to the Datsun doof doof brigade - and with 36% less power beat a prestige-brand, high-class four door genuine sports sedan?

Maybe both Warren Luff and Ric Shaw belong to the "Performance Stickers and Bodykits" Professionals Association and they wanted to do their own kind a favour.

plonky Posted: May 6 2004, 12:50 PM

QUOTE (rob19 @ May 6 2004, 12:30 PM)

"The comparison falls apart on the fact that you are comparing a 4 door family sports sedan with a pseudo sports two door car which is a poor man's version of it's GTR sibling." ...plonky

Precisely my point...how could a poor man's "pseudo-sports", two door car that belongs to the Datsun doof doof brigade - and with 36% less power beat a prestige-brand, high-class four door genuine sports sedan?

Maybe both Warren Luff and Ric Shaw belong to the "Performance Stickers and Bodykits" Professionals Association and they wanted to do their own kind a favour.

Very tongue in cheek

--------------------

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im a member there, and you gotto realize that its a ford xr6t site, dedicated, so ofcourse they are gonna want to have the xr6t to be the top

this here is a skyline dedicated site, so you guys will be more onto the skyline side

my dad owns a BA XR8, and i visit the xr6t forums cause they have some information for me to show my old man, and even tho my whole family are ford men, im only interested in gettin a skyline

im lookin at both sides, and ive been in an xr8 and xr6t, i tell ya the 6t is the better car there, but nothin beats a v8 grunt. im yet to be in a skyline, but the specs, the things you hear about them, and the looks, (and video's on the net and stuff) make me want a skyline soo bad.

just expressing my views to this, cause i did see the thread mentioned, and thought it was ludacris (there is another thread there about a gtr vs xr6t...

here is the link to that, and it shows that they arent as arrogent as you might think

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.ph...0388&hl=skyline

i'm glad they aren't trying to compare the xr6t to the GTR...

the xr6t is a nice car, it could possibly be my pick if i was made to get a falcadore... coming from a holden background i find it hard to pick a ford, but i guess from an unbiased view the xr6t is a better car....

The XR6 was quicker than I realised. I have driven a few for work and cos of all the new technology and soft suspension it doesnt have that RAW speed feeling.

I ended up getting beaten by one in a 165rwkw R32 tho... my best launch I was about 50cm behind him at 120km... so it shows that they do have some guts. They still have that australian family car feel tho where u sit in the drivers seat and thikn u should be 100kg fatter to fit the seat properly.

I know this is Nissan forum, and some of the people here are fanatical. That applies the same when you're in Ford forum, thus that discussion comes up. However Ford fan or not, the BA XR6T is a great car. I think with the BA series Ford is definitely done something very good. If in the future Ford never returns to the ugly AU shape... My next car would likely to be XR6T.... Otherwise perhaps the next generation of Liberty GT.

I've raced a stock BA XR6T at the drags in my R33. Well, Gary1 was driving my car cos I was strapping the bike that night, (11.209 @ 129.27mph, woohoo :D) but anyway, on with the story :(

Terminal speeds at the end of the track were XR6T: 94.52mph, R33: 101.53mph. Gary's absolutely bloody terrible (but entertaining) 3.295 sec 60' time meant that the 'line lost the race, but gives an indication of power:weight of each car. My car had 3" exhaust dropped under the front seats, 12 psi, and pod... I reckon give the XR6T similar mods and it'd be making good power, assuming that damn tricky ECU doesn't take over, but I'm unsure how it'd fare then given that it has to haul 200-300kg extra around. It would be an interesting race. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of them for a week... :D

Does the ECU on XR6T playing "tricks" because the car is a triptronic? Maybe get a manual one, but motor magazine reviews mentioned that the manual box is not as easy to shift as most other japanese car. A little bit too notchy.

What do they say about Ford and Holden owners?

All a bit one eyed?

On the whole, that XR6 forum isn't too bad but of course you're always gonna get brainless clowns who think their car is the one and only.

You can see it there where one guy says the C&V Falcon did a 10.9 therefore the XR6T is such a fast car with unlimited performance and that reflects on all our Falcons.

It's as ridiculous as saying that Mario's GTR700 has any sort of association with the cars we drive.

Of course an R34 GTt sedan with some carefully selected mods would have the potential to better the XR6T in almost every area be it track or drag.

They are just different cars and some of their owners just can't see past their own bucket of bolts. But at least it's not N/A Silvia owners thinking they can beat GT-R's...

T.

im suprised the r34 beat the xr6t, when you compare power vs power the xr6t has heaps

but then yeah when you consider weight and pure handling the skyline has more background as a performance / track / sports car i guess, call my view anyway

we all know stock xr6t vs stock r34

1/4 the xr6t would win

would it not?

im suprised the r34 beat the xr6t, when you compare power vs power the xr6t has heaps

but then yeah when you consider weight and pure handling the skyline has more background as a performance / track / sports car i guess, call my view anyway

On a pure power basis, 4.0 litres and a GT40 sized unit is always gonna see off a little 2.5 or 2.6 - you'll always have to run the little RB sixes up to the redline to keep up.

But a 1,400kg vs. 1,750kg car is always going to make some people unhappy and it's not going to help on the track.

T.

granted the ford xr6t is a fast car and looks the part. but think about this for a second, a 4litre straight 6 with a resonable turbo+decent front mounted cooler does 14.1 on its best day, while a 3.5litre v6 NA does the same time(350Z). i know which car i think is the better engineering feat

sounds fair enough to me. i guess the ford guys were just flat out expecting the ba to win

i guess 1700kgs on a track a big difference, i know the handling of say my car vs a vt commodore with the same power output is a huge difference, unsure how the xr6t or non turbo would handle cornering and stuff

SamC,

Being a member of both xr6turbo and this forum, I was a bit ashamed by the way your inital post was treated. There are some people who are very defensive, but the way your post was treated was uncalled for.

Each car has its merrits and I know that if I could have found a 4 door GTR, I would own one over a xr6t anyday.:headspin:

Ford has done a great job with this car giving us a aussie straight 6 turbo.

I also know that you people respect this car and will not give me grief when I come out on criuzes or Driftdays..:( ..If Ford ever deliver the f...ing thing...10 weeks wait so far, be quicker getting RAWS and importing a R34 GTR:spcartman

well last night at the drags up here.. there were a few fords and holdens. Nothing too crazy, i assume they had various chip upgrades and exhaust upgrades. I think there was an XR6T or two there.

At best they were pulling mid to lower 13's for the better ones. Others just mid 14's. Older guys mainly. There were a couple of the guys/gals on here getting 13.7 in their "fairly" stock R33 gts-t (e.g. stock turbos), and probably capable of better.

For cars that cost $40k + i know I wouldn't be that impressed with "just a 13", and the few $k ontop they spend on their chip upgrades or exhausts. Sure its a newish car, but still...

Sure there are the very quick ones that do 12's and 11's but they have had quite a bit of money thrown at them to get them that far. Not very common though.

The new XR6t looks quite impressive at 290kw factory. Easily highest ever figure for a factory 6cylinder in Australia and you get to keep the warranty. I give them koudas for that.