SAU Community

Xenon Replacements

Midnight-Runner

hi guys I have a blown xenon bulb it the stagea and was wondering where would be a good place to pick them up in adelaide?

I'm guessing auto barn sell them but I don't want to cut my arm off to pay fir them lol

and are they a H4 globe?

cheers

You probably already have done this but have you unscrewed the back cover and popped the bulb out to be certain its a xenon?? I had a "blown" bulb in a Stag, turned out it wasnt the HID but a normal Narva type bulb, this gets changed for compliancing in most cases. All of the wiring for the bulb and the ballast remain in place, they just cut and splice the power wire, add a female spade connector and a little adapter washer thingy. Check if this is the case. My "blown" bulb turned out to be the spade connector had burned out. Total repair cost: a fraction of a cent for a spade connector i had sitting in my toolbox.

Sounds harsh Jeremy, Yeah that fix was easy, now I have a HID kit. (so i guess i have spare ballasts) My next challenge is the projector type high beams. Maybe you should consider customising yours, since theyre already "compliant".

But seriously, with the Stag for working out what the original bulb type is you just look on the top black bit of the headlamp under the bonnet and the type and wattage is right there. Good luck with your fix Midnight.

But seriously, with the Stag for working out what the original bulb type is you just look on the top black bit of the headlamp under the bonnet and the type and wattage is right there. Good luck with your fix Midnight.

^^This

luckily I found someone on the forum selling them so I reckon from now on I'll just order them off ebay I couldn't find them anywhere in adelaide but apparently sinergy charge 100 a globe :/ so if anyone is that desperate you can go there

If you have the original Xenon globes still in place with the original control gear (ballasts), they are D2R, 35w replacements, as stated on the top headlight cover housing.

They are now on eBay from china for less than $15 a pair and genuine Philips ones (in Australia) for about $80 a pair, again on ebay. They are fairly common fitment for European cars, eg BMW. Don't want to know what Bursons, Repco, Autobarn, SCrap charge for them!

I think i'd rather pay $80 for Philips ones than $15 for something that may or may not last. Id be interested if the cheap ones last more than two years. I bought Philips lights for my R31 about 8 years ago, still going. I've also got cheap ones in the past from Supercheap think they lasted 1 or 2 months, this was about 8 years ago though, so quality might be better these days.

On a similar topic My S2 Stagea headlights stopped working last night. Parkers and High beams still work. I think it may have been running on one bulb for a while (lights weren't great for a while). So probably up for two new bulbs.

I think it has the factory lights still in but maybe unplugged or wiring chopped for compliance. Is it just a matter of plugging these back in. Anyone had similar experience?

I think it has the factory lights still in but maybe unplugged or wiring chopped for compliance. Is it just a matter of plugging these back in. Anyone had similar experience?

I am about to try this tomorrow. My xenon plugs where left in place at compliance, just had the H1 plugs spliced in( i asked nicely ) . I did find this thread which I will use for reference.

Depends on how they did your lights. they are suposed to chop the plugs out , not just splice in the H1 connectors

I think i'd rather pay $80 for Philips ones than $15 for something that may or may not last. Id be interested if the cheap ones last more than two years. I bought Philips lights for my R31 about 8 years ago, still going. I've also got cheap ones in the past from Supercheap think they lasted 1 or 2 months, this was about 8 years ago though, so quality might be better these days.

On a similar topic My S2 Stagea headlights stopped working last night. Parkers and High beams still work. I think it may have been running on one bulb for a while (lights weren't great for a while). So probably up for two new bulbs.

The last chinese made D2r Xenons I bought from eBay lasted me about 4 years, they are just starting to blink now and are not as bright as I remember them. I would go the genuine Philips globes over the Chinese as well but some others may not have the budget nor desire for it if they are planning on moving the car on soon. The cheapies did work for me however, now time for the genuine.

I think the halogen series (H1, H3, H4 etc) have totally different characteristics to the D2R Xenon globes, the Xenons are far superior including lamp life and light output, and don't have a filament like the Halogens.

I am about to try this tomorrow. My xenon plugs where left in place at compliance, just had the H1 plugs spliced in( i asked nicely ) . I did find this thread which I will use for reference.

Depends on how they did your lights. they are suposed to chop the plugs out , not just splice in the H1 connectors

Yes, that was my original thread I wrote back in 2008, hope it helps.

Thats sounds pretty good then.

Yeah looks like for compliance my car got the xenons butchered. Connector filled with glue and cables chopped. Probably easier to get another set if I wanted to go that way.

Stagea_Headlight5.jpg