SAU Community

Catch Can Issues, Urgent Help Requested!

Hey guys, so I got myself a gtst and joined the team. The engine has had a bit of work done to it. It's running a Garrett M24 and I have some serious pressure issues with the catch can. I have asked a few local mechanics and have gotten different responses.

From - its rooted to its fine it's just not tuned correctly.

One guy basically screamed at me firmly telling me "no engine should have blow by" yet my mate who is the PDM at Toyota/Nissan told me even brand new cars do it which even is backed up on what I have read online. He further went on to show me his turbo hilux, that thing chugged like a steam train from the oil filler. He placed the oil cap over the top and the damn thing started dancing over the rocket cover.

The car doesn't blow any smoke except occasionally a very brief puff when changing gears (first drive of day) there was water in the oil but minimal amounts. I have confirmation the car has only done 1000km in the last 18 months. My mate from Toyota said that he would expect a car sitting that long to have that amount of water in it anyway (condensation) considering the doozy of the problem it has. I had a compression test done and it's a fairly even 120 across the board. However when the car is kicked in the guts oil splatters out of the catch can. I have been told - rebuild it! Suspected ring lans. However when I decided to start pulling the engine out this weekend we found the boost controller had a blown fuse and here is where I'd LOVE the advice, seems like the catch can system is plumbed wrong. (please remember I am a complete noob with these) from what we are assuming, is the Pcv tube isn't connected to the catch can rather it is plumbed back into the boost side of the intake. I will post pics soon as I can.

We are under the assumption that the Pcv is trying to boost 20psi through the top end of the engine and going straight into the tubes that run from the rocket cover into the catch can and blasting it out the filter on the top. When the valve is connected the filter on the catch can blows bubbles when idling, yet when u disconnect it, it stop. Any help much appreciated!!

f3a2e4f7.jpg

c3880b75.jpg

Top tube goes to pcv shown on first pic

80d7a892.jpg

8d9b7530.jpg

Edited by Spooger

If the car is new to you change oil and filter. Take it for a long drive so that everything comes up to full temp. get a compression test and leak down test. Go from there. Good engines can "breathe" quite a bit but broken ring lands are also common - test don't guess and don't pull the engine out unless you have to.

No, no, no, no, no.

Starting at the PCV fitting, you should have:

PCV to intake rocker cover (as per factory fittings)

Intake rocker cover to exhaust rocker cover (as per factory fittings)

exhaust rocker cover to catch can

catch can to intake side of turbo.

Ditch the stupid filter on the can (and plug the hole).

So basically, the catch can replaces the hose that goes from the exhaust rocker cover down to the intake of the turbo. And the whole system remains sealed and does not vent to atmosphere. And you don't have problems with EPA.

Awesome!! Thanks for advice will rebook tomorrow and post pics (hopefully a nod of approval with what is done) would this cause the oil to splatter out the catch can when the turbo boosts? That along with the boost controller not connected.

yea the rocker cover lines are the two ontop of your engine. im not gunna enter into the atmo/plumb back catch can argument but i can also see in the second pic that your turbo intake pipe has a bung so that you could plumb it back in if you wanted. that looks like a lot of oil on the catch can, i would definantly do a leak down test, my guess being that you have a damaged ring or ring land

Thanks ahhbee. Yeah I've been told by a few ppl ring lands. I have only driven the car about 30km since owning it, it's done about 1000km in 18 months, I have my dear little fingers crossed its just because it's plumbed wrong and been sitting so long.

Yeah it's a fair bit of oil that is sprayed out. The catch can is full after 30km. I did give it a few boosts during that period (I know prob a bad idea but I couldn't resist :-P) it also used about 60% of the 4 liters I put into it (after draining it)

From the looks of that you have more issues than a catch can plumbed wrong.

Boost should not go past the PVC because under positive pressure it's closed.

Forget the service just warm it up and comp test it if it's low then leak down test it.

Ok no problem. What is considered low? It's got 120,000km on it. Prob had a semi rough life too (drift car)

The actual figure is not so important - you are looking for one or two cylinders with more than say 5% less compression than the rest. e.g. mine range from 130 psi to 135 psi which is low but ok. I got a leakdown test and they were all fine.

Cut the hose and jam a bolt in there. Temp fix.

Its a shame im not in NZ, i have a plug that replaces the valve itself sitting in the center console of my R33 i dont use anymore. Id have sent it to you otherwise.

Just go into a metal shop with the rubber seal and ask them to make a bung to fit it.