SAU Community

Airpod Install Making The Car Lack In Boost.

Shmee33

• 5 months later...

when the pod is on it it makes the sucking noise till It hits boost then it's good.

Til the boost comes on it just has a lack of pull like a vacuum leak.

The pod is bigger then the afm.

Will a 3" pod stuff the afm sensor around?

Thanks Alex

The AFM'c calibration expects to see the air flowing in from the airbox. If you mess about with the air flow patterns, you could quite easily change the reading that the AFM is giving you for any given amount of air. Hence you could end up running richer or leaner than you should, and also the timing would be off as well. Put the airbox back and report if it gets better. If it does, then do not put the pod back on unless you are getting the ECU tuned at the same time.

Also, if there are any nasty step changes in size from the AFM inlet to the pod, then the flow could be made ugly. Inspect and decide if the air flow (in the direction of flow of course) looks like it might be made untidy by any big steps.

Thank you, yeah as soon as the air box goes on its perfect again.

My problem was that the intercooler piping bloked my snorkel off that sits under the bonnet so my airbox is just sucking warm motor air.

I just want an airpod that won't make my car run like crap.

They have cai setups on eBay for $149 but I don't want it to do the same.

My problem was that the intercooler piping bloked my snorkel off that sits under the bonnet so my airbox is just sucking warm motor air.

A pod filter will also be sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

The stock air box is a well designed Cold Air Intake, and when combined with a high flow panel air filter like a K&N or a BNC is completely fine for cars with over 300rwkw (yours will currently be about 130rwkw)...

If your intercooler piping is blocking the snorkle, find another way to route cold air into the stock airbox, perhaps slightly modifying the snorkle by cutting it and resealing it with tape or whatever...

Sounds to me like you've got a FMIC which returns to the engine bay on the drivers side.... Bad boy.