SAU Community

Gtr Car Cover

cul8er

I had a car cover on my custom painted rx7 outside all the time in LA cali and denver for 11 years , it wasnt a custom cover but flannel soft on one side slightly water proof but breathable on the other 1 layer of fabric , had some elestic around the bottom corners and lock with cable on middle of it , as you know acid rain is in both towns , snow a foot deep or more , salted roads in winter , criminals , windy as hell around 200kph sometimes in denver front range , sand , salty air in LA lived on a large boat ,batteship so car was parked on the marina all the time , truck soot the docks in fast and furious is where it was parked

Car cover issues

Wind will wind it up only the cable lock will keep it on and not in outerspace took about 60-70km winds to fling it loose

Snow when it melts it left the acid dirt sitting on the paint like a big filter of crap not likely here

Rain , it must breath or it will rot the paint and the cover , it has to be able to dry itself pretty quickly not sit soaking for days unless its still raining

Also leaves crap but not as bad

Car must be spotless on rub points if its tight

Has to be able to clear hot tailpipes

Mirrors must fit

Must be locked on always , it will fly off or be stolen

Overall it saved my paint job once it tore that was it the paint was stuffed from uv acid etc

Cant put on fresh paint either

bonus of cover

Theft deterent the crips tried to steal my car a thousand times but the cable lock setoff. The alarm easy it can be tied into alarm trigger they never got it !! stops people stealing tunes , out o sight out of mind

Car stays cleaner cause your careful more ,

Car is much cooler

Saved my car from hail a few times when other cars had windows knocked out and dings galore

Saves on dings and nicks a lot

Saves the bird poo

Mark it with your rego or the ticket police will love you , rego must be visible

Drawbacks

Cost up front 300+ for non custom one

Takes about 4-5 min to install if its not windy and put away properly thats a average you can do it faster if needed

If you dont like making beds forget it its very close to that haha

A soggy cover stinks in the boot / bag

Must be scotchgaurded often it looses it fast in the extremes

Can attract crims - curious buggers

Can attract graffiti artists

Must be used often and can be a pain to be so padantic about a car ( ladys hate to come second haha)

can scratch if your not careful

Catch fire on tailpipes

Yet another bulky item to take to laundry mat to wash ! Its heavy as fark wet home laundry will die

can mold and cause car inside to mold if your not careful in drying it

Now days microfiber ones would be great but hard to find unless you shop usa and they never had skylines so a custom one will be hard to find

Dont buy a plastic based waterproof one they kill the paint they dont breathe enough , only good if your not moving the car for months outside

in australia i think it would attract idiots ( vandals)

So i opted to not cover my car , maybe in the garage but out in the open i think it would be a week tops before it was molested Like a naked virgin by some wankers

Edited by Carbon 34

• 3 weeks later...

I had a car cover made by chief car covers in perth. I gave them my car details and thinks like height of wing. The indoor cover i got is awesome really soft and i am really fastidious with my paintwork (also if good quality car covers are good enough for show cars then good enough for mine). but still strong enough it will last for many,many years. At least give them a call or email and talk to them.

there is no car cover that won't scratch. period.

see how imperfect the paint is on show cars next time and tell me covers are great... the covers are there more for branding/"the reveal"/exclusivity than anything else.

i suppose next we should all use paraffin dusters because that's what they use on show cars...

having a car cover for indoors is a waste of time. Outside... maybe, if it's a really harsh environment - But you're still better off having a good few layers of a very durable sealant on a car IMO, and then use a sun-shade reflective thing to give the interior a bit of protection.

• 4 weeks later...

I find car covers are good for cars being kept outdoors as it minimises the wear and heat hitting the paint, plastics and rubber lining in the sun - particularly if you drive the car say once a week on the weekends

i had a dodge supercheap auto special for about a week before i decided it was both rubbish and abrasive on soft paint - i ended up going with a Kenco Tyvek car cover, the inner lining is developed with paint manufacturer DuPont meaning it will minimize damage to your clear coat

the best thing about it however is that even thought it is weatherproof and UV resistant, it is the lightest car cover i have come across meaning you can put on and take off the thing by yourself without letting it touch the ground - also comes with repair patches incase you manage to rip or tear a hole in it

Fit-wise i went with the large size which covered my R34 with the big trolley wing perfectly

can be had for around $100 when there are sales

http://www.superchea...258#Description

pic of it on my car;

cover_zps169f0808.jpg

cover%20close_zps0a49cb8a.jpg

Edited by squareznboxez

• 3 weeks later...

the flannel king size sheet sounds good. mines inside the garage but gets dusty as hell after 2 days

might buy a few wheels and screw it on the roof and string and have like a window blind type cover lol

• 4 weeks later...