SAU Community

what happens when petrol gets to $1.15 or 1.23 per liter premium

meggala

i usually get around the 470 mark on mine. My 180 used to do about 400 on a full tank (AND it was a 1.8L too... all those mods probably made the amount pretty shit, larger injectors didn't help)

I was in switzerland a couple of years ago and the fuel price there was fluctuating between $1.70 and $2.10 Australian. So anything that i've seen here is cheap.

What would I do for fuel economy? hehehe easy... keep my car... finally my N/A is good for sumthing :)

what happens when petrol gets to $1.15 or 1.23 per liter premium
hahaha well, we payed around $1.10 for Optimax here in the ACT when the prices were heaps high a while ago...

it sucked, but i still payed it...

i dunno, I think the price would have to get VERY high for me to consider going back to a cheaper runaround, I'm spoiled now - I could never go back to a car like my 4cyl Laser :)

Whats the problem? just earn more money:lol:

Even if the US do go crazy and start bombing iraq u kow its only gonna incread byy around 20c perlitre and then when the place is completely flaty it should drop dramatically to even cheaper than it is now. Thats the whole point after all..... cheap fuel.

Why dont we just urge the govt to up our domestic production and it wouldnt be a problem. It would be cheaper if anything.

Hey and whatever happend to the distilled water car? i heard some guy did it like 30-40 years ago and an oil company burnt it to the ground and killed the guy:eek: gulp. ahh maybe i shouldnt have said that.

Just tune our cars to run on Low Octane fuel.......

They'll be a hell of a lot slower, but at least we'll still be able to drive........

Or hopefully they'll start drilling the Trillions of litres of oils that's in the east timor sea (You don't think Johnny Howard offered all that help to East Timor out of the goodness of his heart do you?). Apparently the amount of oil they're sitting on rivals the Middle East......I've also heard rumours that Siberia is sitting on a bit of an oil goldmine too.......

yeah but even though aus produces most of its own oil it still charges at rates provided by opec which is where the government is make a very healthy profit and there not gonna want to give that up.

plus you all could not drive like hoons as i get 600-650 out of a tank :D with boost up drop it back to 7psi and i should hit 700km easy.

I was only kidding Cereal.................really.

One viable fuel alternative is Compressed Natural Gas (CNG). This is not the same as LPG (butane/propane). It is the gas that comes out of your gas pipe at home compressed and stored, still as a gas at very high pressure.

The authorities do not like CNG because you can compress it yourself at home with suitable equipment, and they cannot tax it. Also the insurance companies are not too thrilled about the potential for fires and explosions occuring in home garages all over the place.

There is information on the net on this subject, and there was a company in NZ that manufactured all the bits you need to compress the gas and convert an engine. I think this company went out of buisiness a year or two ago however.

I was really interested in this subject a couple of years ago, at that time Sydney Council were running a pilot program, and some of the diesel busses were converted to CNG back then.

If petrol prices go out of control, it may be a way to get around it, and give the finger to both the oil companies and the government. If it becomes popular it will almost certainly be made illegal though.

Do a search on the net, there is probably more information around now then there was a couple of years back. From the engineering perspective, as a fuel the calorific value and octane are important. I cannot give figures off the top of my head, but the information should be available somewhere.

The gas itself is so cheap it is almost free, however the catch is that because the required storage pressure is very high, the electrical power required to drive the compressor is not so cheap.

Happy motoring Tony.

Lets face some facts here. If fuel hits $1.80 Australia is screwed. Everything we do involves covering large distances and with virtually no public transport in cities such as Perth the country comes to a grinding holt.

And then there's the whole arguement about trucking costs!

I think once this crap is over in the Mid East unleaded will hit the high 80's per litre us non Queenslanders are used to.

Another thing I noticed in Europe is Fuel Cell cars are cool and just as fast as conventional petrol cars.

A couple of points. Base petrol prices are basically set by the Govt.

The whole thing is pretty complex,but,forgetting the excise,which most people know about,the other influence used to be known as the 'Import Parity Pricing'policy. They call it something different now,and I've forgotten the new name,but the effect is the same.

Say the daily 'spot price' of a barrel of [i think it's Singapore crude ] is $130,and Australian crude that day is $90 a barrel,then the Govt imposes what they now call a 'super tax' of $50 a barrel to bring the price up to 'Import Parity Price'. This has been happening since about 1979 or 1980,and was introduced to "protect our scarce resource", but we 'protect it by exporting it !!! It was,at that time called a 'Crude Oil Levy'

I used to be Operations Manager of the Service Station Association.I'm not up to date on exactly how it works now,but believe me ,that's the general way it works.

On using lower octane fuel. I don't know how you would do this on to-day's cars,but it should'nt be difficult. It's called WATER INJECTION. I've got a R32 GTS t,but I've also got a 1972 GTR Torana,and I made a unit for that some years ago,as I knew leaded would disappear at some time.

Before the 'water injector',you could'nt even move off without violent 'pinging'if you put unleaded in it,but with the 'injector' it runs at least as well,if not better,and gets another 2 or 3 MILES per gallon.

Injector is a misnomer as all you have to do is introduce a small amount of water into the air,entering the cylinders,metered to the varying air flow.This atomises into the fuel/air mixture and slows down the burning rate [imitating higher octane fuel].

It also adds power,as it effectively 'burns'.That is,it turns into superheated steam,and expands rapidly.

There's a very simple way to do it on a carburetted engine ---without even any moving parts.

It' quite a small amount of water. I seem to remember that when I measured what I was using on the GTR,it was about 1 litre per about 600 klms.