SAU Community

Tax On Overseas Purchases

GTR-N1

Saw that article on smh this morning as well. But it also mentioned the trade off is the abolition of Stamp Duty and other bs taxes.

Then again, I'll believe it when I see it, most likely they'll just keep the 2 taxes together and make us lowly citizens even more poor.

Just another massive cash grab by the federal government - like reducing the duty free cigs to 2 packets.

Last time this was contemplated they worked out it would take more money to implement and collect the money than the revenue it would raise.

Read the article, it's just the NSW Tresurer. That makes it 100% not going to happen, because when was the last time the states and Feds agreed on anything to do with gst.

Get the vendor to send you the product from a residential address as a gift. Late/Early Birthday/xmas presents :P

If you mention to them that the Tax is the issue, they don't seem to have a problem doing that.

They are just having a sook, australia asks a lot of money for many things.

Now if they make everything taxable from overseas then we are forced to buy locally at ass rape prices. :(

Part of the reason for the local ass rape prices is because they already have to pay tax on those same parts ;) I get your point though.

For those of you who think we get taxed too much, the UK's GST is set at 20% and they also pay 10% stamp duty, basically double what we pay.

Edited by Iron Chef

From what I have "heard", it's a bit of a hit and miss

I have "heard" of items coming from China/HK/Japan and going straight through customs. I have also "heard" of products coming from the US getting flagged for taxes most of the time.

These were all roughly the same value

^ Sounds good.

However could implement risk if you need to lodge a claim for postal insurance services. (Lost / damaged goods - etc).

I believe the value of the damaged goods are still covered with or without the total transaction cost. Sender buys a gift, say $1500, buys additional insurance, sends it as a gift, declare $0 Value on customs because gifts aren't taxable, gets damaged in transit, courier company must pay for goods damaged since the sender DID pay for the item.

I stand to be corrected but I think customs declaration value is separate from the courier insured value.

I believe the value of the damaged goods are still covered with or without the total transaction cost. Sender buys a gift, say $1500, buys additional insurance, sends it as a gift, declare $0 Value on customs because gifts aren't taxable, gets damaged in transit, courier company must pay for goods damaged since the sender DID pay for the item.

I stand to be corrected but I think customs declaration value is separate from the courier insured value.

Would be interesting to get a definitive answer on this!

Customs aren't dumb - just understaffed!

** Remember:- Any SAUer who's going for a short trip to Japan will be your bestest friend

**And - and - and:- If you're the SAUer going for a holiday to Japan, you risk getting pinged for XS (overweight) baggage on your return trip to Oz

Hehe...

Customs aren't dumb - just understaffed!

** Remember:- Any SAUer who's going for a short trip to Japan will be your bestest friend

**And - and - and:- If you're the SAUer going for a holiday to Japan, you risk getting pinged for XS (overweight) baggage on your return trip to Oz

Hehe...

Go Japan using Jetstar economy and for $70 you can upgrade luggage to 40kg but no 1 bag can be more than 32kg.

Business and its a 30kg bag and 20kg carry on. Post most of clothes back via Japan sea post and fill up on parts...but...... you run a real risk of getting smashed by customs for non duty free items.

As Terry said customs are understaffed but not stupid. Takes them as long as you to look up true value of a part.

Personally I don't think this will get through for quite awhile as while it will possibly help the local retailer, the business importer will be hurt on the flip side..bit of catch 22.

Maybe the smart move by any Australian government would be to lower the import duty and customs fees but would the business pass that discount on ?????

Bit more info here http://www.smartcomp...tm_medium=email

Go Japan using Jetstar economy and for $70 you can upgrade luggage to 40kg but no 1 bag can be more than 32kg.

Business and its a 30kg bag and 20kg carry on. Post most of clothes back via Japan sea post and fill up on parts...but...... you run a real risk of getting smashed by customs for non duty free items.

As Terry said customs are understaffed but not stupid. Takes them as long as you to look up true value of a part.

Personally I don't think this will get through for quite awhile as while it will possibly help the local retailer, the business importer will be hurt on the flip side..bit of catch 22.

Maybe the smart move by any Australian government would be to lower the import duty and customs fees but would the business pass that discount on ?????

Bit more info here http://www.smartcomp...tm_medium=email

some wouldn't, but most would. it's not like retailers are rolling in cash at the moment, so any chance to be more competitive compared to online would be beneficial.

Would be interesting to get a definitive answer on this!

Quoted response from DHL:

For all products that come into Australia even if they are of no commercial value the supplier will still need to have a value for customs purpose only.

Australian customs will hold all items that arrive with a nil value on the invoice.

We will cover under insurance if the shipper selects this on the AWB but will need to put the insured value.

Anything under $1000 will go through an informal entry and no duties and taxes will apply.

So to my understanding, a value must be declared to Customs for them to clear items as all items would have a value of some sort. As for insurance for the goods being shipped, another value may be declared separately to the courier company.

Send a gift of a 24 carat diamond ring, pay for extra insurance, declare $20 value to customs, win maybe?

We're one of the lowest taxed nations in the world.

Stop complaining.

Also, this is far from a tax grab. It's slated to cost more to administer than revenue it generates and for that reason it won't happen.