SAU Community

Skyline One-Make Racing?

simpletool

Forgive me if this idea has already been floated but now that Skylines are stupidly cheap do you think it would be possible to have a one make series?

Obviously you'd need rules based around the obvious 4WD/2WD split plus the RB20/RB25 in-balance.

Now I'm NOT saying I am in any position to get this happening, but has this been mooted before? I was just thinking there are a LOT of R32, R33 and R34 sitting around doing almost nothing. It would be nice to have many of them go out in style.

Edited by simpletool

Yeah got bucklies!!

Not people cage and track their skylines.

Better off buying something to compete in an established series like super TT, MX5, ipra etc

Wait, tere is talk of a nsw excel cup next year running with MRA.

Parts costs will kill it, good idea

But would need to be 1 make/model of skyline

And any of them would be massively expensive to run.

This is coming from someone who gave up the idea of circuit racing a r33 and having quite a few mates who have circuit skylines

We can't even fill a club trackday, what makes you think we could fill a grid.

This is a potential problem but people who come to club days and people who race cars are different people I would assume. The track day people have road registered cars, racing would mean unregistered so they have lots less to worry about and the cars are even cheaper. Anyway I just thought I'd throw it out there.

I like the idea, but changed directions and prefer to keep mine a street car with occasional track use and not the other way around.... I assume you mean track only cars which would be cool! But dunno what sort of following you would get!

This is a potential problem but people who come to club days and people who race cars are different people I would assume. The track day people have road registered cars, racing would mean unregistered so they have lots less to worry about and the cars are even cheaper. Anyway I just thought I'd throw it out there.

yes the cars are cheaper to buy, but then getting them up to race spec would cost a reasonable amount, as they would probably need to meet CAMS regulations regarding cages, etc. plus you would then need regulations regarding turbos, ecu's, etc, to stop it becoming a race between someone with a large budget and 700hp (such as a workshop) being up against someone doing it as a hobby with a 320hp car who can't compete in every race. and you need some way or policing said regulations, so you don't get someone sneaking through a bored and stroked engine, etc. unless you simply had different categories

yes the cars are cheaper to buy, but then getting them up to race spec would cost a reasonable amount, as they would probably need to meet CAMS regulations regarding cages, etc. plus you would then need regulations regarding turbos, ecu's, etc, to stop it becoming a race between someone with a large budget and 700hp (such as a workshop) being up against someone doing it as a hobby with a 320hp car who can't compete in every race. and you need some way or policing said regulations, so you don't get someone sneaking through a bored and stroked engine, etc. unless you simply had different categories

Or build to production car specs and go race?

Oh wait, then we could just go join the production car guys...

There are plenty or series' around to go run in, get a few mates together who have skylines and go run in superTT at MRA, then you race against others, but you can make it your own little personal battle with just the skylines.

The difference is....... the "trackday" guys with road registered cars drive them to the track. The guys with "race cars" tow them to the track....that is about the only real difference.

• 3 months later...

I have an R33 thats not complied for this sort of thing, would be great to see some sort of circuit racing category for skylines but im not sure I would be that thrilled to have to replace panels on my car because of somebody else's "rubbins racing" approach. For me It will be hillclimbs, motorkhanas and supersprints unless somebody can come up with a series for skylines.

For some reason a lot of one make series dont last. Swift GTI, Mirage, Minis to name a few.

There is also a new one for N14 and N15 Pulsars starting next year.

As for keeping the motors the same, they use sealing tags so you cant pull it back apart. I had to build mine in front of a guy who measured/ cheeked everything to make sure it was ok. The combustion chamber was a about 3cc out so I had to get that fixed before he would put the tags on it.

For some reason a lot of one make series dont last. Swift GTI, Mirage, Minis to name a few.

There is also a new one for N14 and N15 Pulsars starting next year.

As for keeping the motors the same, they use sealing tags so you cant pull it back apart. I had to build mine in front of a guy who measured/ cheeked everything to make sure it was ok. The combustion chamber was a about 3cc out so I had to get that fixed before he would put the tags on it.

I looked into HQ racing and it was the same deal , I think it would become a bit boring after a while racing the same god damn hatchback as everybody else and not being able to find any mechanical advantages. But then again, I guess that prevents chequebook racers from constantly dominating .

Theres alot of pro's and con's about one make racing , I think there are more con's and decided not to get into it.

I looked into HQ racing and it was the same deal , I think it would become a bit boring after a while racing the same god damn hatchback as everybody else and not being able to find any mechanical advantages. But then again, I guess that prevents chequebook racers from constantly dominating .

Theres alot of pro's and con's about one make racing , I think there are more con's and decided not to get into it.

The idea of one makes is to try and find advantages.

I've had a lot to do with the pulsar series starting up. We've done 10 cages currently and have 3 more booked in before the 27th first round. It could be successful or it could flop. I'm on the fence currently due to a few things.

One make racing is the best way to get into Motorsport. You can gauge your talent against other people that may have been driving longer or less time than yourself.

There are a lot of very established guys ready to go in the pulsars and there is also a lot of guys who haven't driven in a door to door race before but I think have some talent to do well.

HQ is what Ive just started in. There is still things mechanical advantages that can be had, but it still really just comes down to the driver which is why I decided to do it. Im 10rwkw down on the good cars, but are still having a great time learning to drive.

We just had a 4hour enduro at Winton (really just 2hour race Saturday and 2hour Sunday but get lap penalties for changing anything major on the car) . On both days you do a driver change around the the hour mark and both drivers do a wheel change as well.

I'm still around Chris. Haven't been racing due to time constraints with the workshop.

I've ended up with a VY supercar so looking to get it running and head back out this year.

I've got one pulsar left to do before the series begins.

I love one make racing, did a few seasons a couple of years back and it was by far the closest and most enjoyable I've done.

Unfortunately I can't see the critical mass for a skyline series, if you are serious about giving something a go try the pulsar series.....cheap cars (cheap panels), nice and close, sounds like a great concept