SAU Community

Fitting Whiteline Swaybar

samos69

Hi all, I'm trying to fit an adjustable front swaybar to my GTS-T and the supplied bushes are too big for the factory brackets. Whiteline don't show a universal bracket with the centre ridge so I assume I'm supposed to use the factory D brackets.

Problem is I've cranked them up as tight as possible, I may have even threaded the hole, and there is still a gap. The bush is compressed super tight and the swaybar can still swivel so I assume function won't be affected. Anyone see any problems with leaving it like this? The front nut is done up tight.

Pics (blurry but you get the idea)

DSCF3511.jpg

DSCF3513.jpg

Grind the Nolathane (or whatever material it is) as necessary until the D clamp is securely fastened as per OEM (small gap IIRC).

This will not affect the function of the sway bar. These chassis mounts are simply used to constrain the Anti Roll Bar vertically and longitudinally.

Edited by R32Abuser

On the GTR i dont recall having any problems doing up the D bracket on whileline adjustables. If the bolts aren't turning easily with the bracket that loose, then there's something wrong. I would take the bar off and run the bolts all the way into the holes to check they're free and easy all the way.

Thanks for the replies, I'll give it another go and if not grind the bush. The bolts run freely, I copper grease everything an run a tap / die over everything I remove to ensure they are good to go.

Alternatively a local guy can make me a D bracket. Pedders stuff seems pretty pricey over here in NZ.

Thanks, I looked into the KS6 but it doesn't have the ridge in the centre that the bushes have, and it presumes a flat mounting surface (which as the pics show it is not).

I had another crack today and ended up dremeling the bracket so got it all done up but this happened:

DSCF3519.jpg

see the crease in the corner, not good. Checked the other side and its the same so I pulled it off and figured out the problem.

The bracket is staggered, with one side higher than the other. The bush fills the bracket to the lower side of the bracket.

DSCF3521.jpg

The chassis mount point has a bump in the middle, above that point.

DSCF3522.jpg

So what I'm going to do is spin the bracket 180 and put the slotted end forwards which will put the bottom of the bush level with the "bump" on the chassis. Then I'll get a spacer to go between the bracket and chassis and make up the gap on the backside. Plus a longer bolt will be needed. This will mount it securely without deforming the bush. Hopefully.

If you're using a 28mm bar, I'm already thinking that Heavy Duty links are required too.

I used HD links on a Whiteline RSB and one of the D brackets broke - and that's a Whiteline one!

I replaced them with Pedders D brackets and haven't had a problem despite hairpin bends at E Blaxland and Hawkesbury Hts. $20.

It's a 24mm bar, product number seemed to indicate a 28mm but my mistake.. I'm sourcing some longer bolts and will make the spacer out of either some hollow steel or just use washers for now.

Part number BNF28Z

B = Bar

N = Nissan

F = Front

28 = the 28th Nissan bar that has been designed (that one happens to be one of my designs)

Z = Adjustable

The D bush looks like a GTR one, they are different to the GTST. There should be a part number moulded into the side of the bush. Take a note of it and give Whiteline a call, they can confirm if it s a GTR or GTST D bush

Cheers

Gary.

Thanks Sydneykid, you're exactly right on the part number. I read somewhere the 2 digit code was the diameter but obviously that info was wrong!

Bush is 5093-24, I'll give whiteline a call tomorrow and see whats going on. Failing that as above I'll shim the bracket but I was surprised it wasn't a direct fit given how long they have been making these!

Right so whiteline say there is no 24mm GTR bush and that the bushes I have are correct. They also say that they have seen this issue once before and that the car had GTR brackets instead of GTS ones possibly fitted after an accident or something. I have another GTS-T shell in storage so I'm going to raid that and see if it all works out..