SAU Community

Bbs Lm Big Brake Clearance?

R32GOJIRA

Hello Ladies and Gents,

Can anyone here tell me whether BBS LM's will clear Alcon V8 Supercar brakes?

I know that 18" will clear the diameter, im more worried about the clearance between the caliper and the spokes.

Wheel size that i was looking at was 18x10 +20.

Id like to try and find this out before i buy a set and find they dont fit.

Cheers, Damo.

They will clear 365mm rotors, if you are using 376mm Supercar rotors then it will be getting tight but I think will fit.

To give you an idea the Alcon Mono6 kits on 365mm rotors clear those rims, though the extra 5mm radius and the extra width of the caliper means you may be suspect. I know people that run the Alcon Supercar caliper and rotor setup are able to get them under 18" Enkei RP-F1 and also LM GT4s and TE37s.

They will clear 365mm rotors, if you are using 376mm Supercar rotors then it will be getting tight but I think will fit.

To give you an idea the Alcon Mono6 kits on 365mm rotors clear those rims, though the extra 5mm radius and the extra width of the caliper means you may be suspect. I know people that run the Alcon Supercar caliper and rotor setup are able to get them under 18" Enkei RP-F1 and also LM GT4s and TE37s.

Thanks Roy. I know that they fit under the TE37s and so on, but they have been so done to death, and every man and his dog has a set, i even have a set of TEs but they are 17x9.5, so they wont fit once i put these brakes on, plus i kind want something different. I dont see many BBS rims on cars up my way.

Even thought of the BBS E88 off the porsche cup cars with the deep centre for brake clearance. Very Similar to the LMs, but more expensive.

I wont risk buying the LMs if they might not fit.

Ill just have to wait and see what i can find i suppose.

You wouldn't happen to know anyone selling a set of Alcon supercar calipers would you? That is the only part of my brake setup i am missing now.

Speak to Risking. He has a lot of touring cars passing through his workshop and deals with some privateer teams.

I just bought some R35 rotors to use with my Alcons...if not I woudl have sold you mine :)

Already on the case thanks Roy, spoke to him a few days ago and chased up a few leads. Nothing so far.

I have AP CP5555 calipers (Troy did I get that right?) on 355mm rotors and run BBS LMS 18 x 9 +20 and they fit fine. Hope that help some.

Hey Nick,

Thanks for that mate. The only concern i have is that im pretty sure the Alcon caliper has a bigger body than the CP5555s, that coupled with an extra 20mm in diameter and im worried that the calipers will fowl on the rim towards the outer limits of the caliper.

I guess the only way to see is to fit the caliper on and test fit with a rim.

Just out of curiosity, how much clearance do you have between you caliper and spokes?

Hey Nick,

Thanks for that mate. The only concern i have is that im pretty sure the Alcon caliper has a bigger body than the CP5555s, that coupled with an extra 20mm in diameter and im worried that the calipers will fowl on the rim towards the outer limits of the caliper.

I guess the only way to see is to fit the caliper on and test fit with a rim.

Just out of curiosity, how much clearance do you have between you caliper and spokes?

Will check for you later (car not with me now) but it's not mega like the curvey spoke design rims like TE37s. From memory nor is it so tight you'd be concenred about it on my set up.

Will check for you later (car not with me now) but it's not mega like the curvey spoke design rims like TE37s. From memory nor is it so tight you'd be concenred about it on my set up.

No probs man.

Can you do me favour and let me know the distance from the surface of your disk brake to the back of you spokes, and the distance from the outer face of your caliper to the back of your spokes. That should give me some idea and i can work out the extra distance from the differences in rim widths myself. :cheers:

Thanks Nick your a champ.

Ill have to see if i can dig up some body sizes on these calipers and sus out just how much clearance i am going to have.

Cheers for that guys.

Regards, Damo.

Damo, I am guessing that you will be getting hats and caliper mounting brackets made up.

Remember that you can then shift the caliper inboard a little more (as long as there is inner clearance of suspension arms etc.) if you're doing this...

that may give you ample clearance?

Damo, I am guessing that you will be getting hats and caliper mounting brackets made up.

Remember that you can then shift the caliper inboard a little more (as long as there is inner clearance of suspension arms etc.) if you're doing this...

that may give you ample clearance?

Yeah ive already thought of that. I have all the measurements from my hats and know how much difference there will be between the stock items and the set that is going to go on the car so i should be able to work out how much clearance i will have.

Basically the hat and disc i will be putting on, will be the same overall height if you were to lay the discs face down. So the only real worry i have is the caliper clearance. But i can get the caliper body dimensions, and thanks to Nick, i should now be able to work out whether they will fit or not.

Fingers crossed.

• 1 month later...

Well i finally got around to doing this (not much spare time lately), and to my disappointment the LMs will not fit at all. I had a look at a 32GTR that was at the meet in silverwater a few days ago that had LMs and a brembo set up from what looked like a 34GTR. It had next to no clearance between the caliper and the spokes. So the massive alcons will not fit at all. Bummer.

Thanks for all the help guys.

yeah i can see that, but the V8 supercar calipers are so much bigger than the mono6 and i have 375mm rotors. it definately wont fit. But thanks for the concern man.

• 3 years later...

gents!

My appologies for brining this one up from the dead!

Few years back i owned a set of 18X10+20 LM GP's (GTR model) which i sold.. now I want to go back to them again, however this time around i'm running larger brakes than stock S13.

To be exact these are Wilwood 4 piston superlites, relatively small brakes in comparison to many BBK out there. If i had to compare them to something R34 brembo's would be very close to them but i dont have those to adequately determine this.

I would like know for those who have +20 LM what is the distance from wheel hub to the spokes? I need 1.12" of clearance from what i've been able to find on Wilwood's website, or preciselly 28.4mm

I would like to build custom LM's 3PC with new barrels and get biggest lip possible for my non-track wheels :-)

Thank you for the feedback in advance!

• 3 years later...