SAU Community

Want To Get 'fit'... Read This First

NickR33

I see where your coming from Mitch and the golf analogy is a good one... and yes at a beginner level you just need to go out and hit a lot of balls (like my mate needs more mat time)... do I think gaining some strength would help at this level? Yes! You see lots of people on the course who do not have the strength and coordination to swing a club correctly... strength has a big effect on coordination and balance... strength is not just brute power and speed... it allows you to hold your body in the correct position and apply force

it always staggers me that people think (guys and girls) that if they start a strength program they are going to end up with less mobility and be 'muscle bound' etc... maybe if you train like a bodybuilder... but have a look at olympic gymnasts... the guys have massive muscle development... big upper bodies, lots of mass in the arms... yet they move easily, have great flexibility and endurance

increased strength helps with coordination, balance, speed and endurance

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll treat that as a joke, like youre taking the piss

wasn't.

Lifting heavy for low reps stimulates fast twitch muscle fibers, which are responsible for rapid movement in the body, so you develop explosive strength in those muscles.

Heavy squats = explosive leg strength = jump higher / quicker and run faster. Therefore useful to sprinters and anyone who needs to move fast for short periods of time.

In contrast, marathon runners depend on their slow twitch fibers, which contract muscle slower, but also wear down slower = better endurance. High rep, low weight training stimulates these.

Pretty sure that's how it works anyway.

good response, cheers. Have looked at muscle fibres in the past but can never remember the difference between em.

I see where your coming from Mitch and the golf analogy is a good one... and yes at a beginner level you just need to go out and hit a lot of balls (like my mate needs more mat time)... do I think gaining some strength would help at this level? Yes! You see lots of people on the course who do not have the strength and coordination to swing a club correctly... strength has a big effect on coordination and balance... strength is not just brute power and speed... it allows you to hold your body in the correct position and apply force

it always staggers me that people think (guys and girls) that if they start a strength program they are going to end up with less mobility and be 'muscle bound' etc... maybe if you train like a bodybuilder... but have a look at olympic gymnasts... the guys have massive muscle development... big upper bodies, lots of mass in the arms... yet they move easily, have great flexibility and endurance

increased strength helps with coordination, balance, speed and endurance

could be right, hell the people i play with have 10-20kg on me and only one manages to out drive me. That being said they all lift. But hell who knows.

Benefits are there.

FigJam

Which one is a faster runner and why?

Sprinter-vs-Marathon.jpg

surely the one on the left is a walker.

and obviously the one on the right............. he is black :ph34r:

Adductor group birds, abductors are round the back side

Edit: you seem to have written both words in one haha

LOL adductor is what I meant, must have been covering myself for both instances of being wrong :/

BJJ... yeah I understand it's mostly technique and smaller guys can have a lot of success over bigger guys (the beauty of it really) but if you think a strength program won't improve your Jitz your tripping*

especially when competing with guys at the same weight and skill level like you do in BJJ competition... anything to give you that edge IMO

*and Palhares will find you and rip your leg off lol

To a point - I will disagree with ya on this one. A mate of mine was very sizeable (110kg, 10-12% BF). He lost a good 15kg's and his BJJ increased dramatically as he was just "too big" for his body size even @ 6ft 2in. Couldn't get the range of movement etc.

Certainly his strength helps him, but trimming down (and thus dropping some of that strength) to gain some endurance made a world of difference.

Obviously a tad off topic given he isn't a novice to training or anything like that and found the gains by doing :)

Good overall thread otherwise for some late night reading

yeah but if he's 110kg with 10% bodyfat I'm assuming he's already built a solid strength foundation... so the article not really aimed at him... my mate has never picked up a weight in his life... has the moobs to prove it lol

plus if he was training like a bodybuilder, he may have a lot of mass but not be particularly strong for his bodyweight... I see a heap of jacked guys who can't do pullups

just like cars its about power to weight ratio... of course there's diminishing returns when adding muscle mass, but you can never be too strong

well, he is a different kettle of fish all together.

I know that a strong person isnt necessarily not flexible, but he could have his range of motion could have improved with the loss of 15kg. So many variables maybe a little quicker and agile with the less weight, could also be as simple as that is his ideal "fight weight". Also there is everything that Nick just mentioned.

Also when I trained, alot of the naturally bigger guys and I am talking more about the +6ft +90kg guys without weights, were harder to submit then the average height guys who worked out. I found it more awkward and a different game. In saying that, I only hit purple belt and wasn't really a fan of BJJ when I was training.

One another note, my little brother is over 6ft and 92kg with no weight training. When he was younger, he was like a big breed puppy at sport. His body was to big for his brain.

yeah but if he's 110kg with 10% bodyfat I'm assuming he's already built a solid strength foundation... so the article not really aimed at him... my mate has never picked up a weight in his life... has the moobs to prove it lol

plus if he was training like a bodybuilder, he may have a lot of mass but not be particularly strong for his bodyweight... I see a heap of jacked guys who can't do pullups

just like cars its about power to weight ratio... of course there's diminishing returns when adding muscle mass, but you can never be too strong

i like this