SAU Community

Vq30Det S15 200Sx Spec-R

• 2 months later...

possibly one of the best engine swaps i've ever seen! absolutely beautiful.. awesome work.

I have a Nissan a32 Cefiro stock with an auto vq30de - and even that goes like hell. I've had countless races against people thining they can beat me yet I haven't lost a single race :P Even against rb20det's, sr20det's.rb25de's,4litre falcons and v6 commys... I could go on. Bottom line is vq's are tough!! And I bet your one will fly.

I'm one day thinking about taking that motor out and putting it in my vl commodore... before people start asking me am I out of my mind just remember these commodores are already rb powered, so why not replace with a better nissan engine?

• 3 months later...
Thought i'd dust this thing off, still hasn’t seen the dyno so its time to change that…

(chucked together a V8 (1UZFE) Datsun Bluebird over the past few months which has proven to be a major distraction to this project)

So an update.

So have been planning a LS1 coil conversion for a while (because the stock coils are rubbish), finally bit the bullet and started this week…. Have been putting off the conversion for a while as I couldn’t really work out where the coils were going to go, I have bugger all room anywhere.

After a bit of buggering around the passenger side ended up being quite easy, mounting to the valve covers I was able to use a lot of the stock coil-on-plug bolt holes (studded with spacers) which gives good spacings and a neat look with the LS coils…. As a plus I was able to use a set of off the shelf LS factory leads which are cheap and gives me a few spares… The spark plug end fits perfectly into the spark plug hole.

And because everyone loves pics :D

Workbench

1403601575664.jpg

All bolted down and connected

20140624_214334.jpg

And all installed, just looks like stock.

20140624_221147.jpg

Drivers side, not so easy… had to fabricate a bracket to hold the coils in place…. Still a work in progress.

20140621_174055.jpg

20140622_134131.jpg

Hopefully have it all running again by the weekend.

And if anyone is interested this has been my distraction over the past few months.

20140103_170656.jpg

20140302_112853.jpg

20131109_170033.jpg

10295355_293347207502054_337309397344269

1UZFE 4.0L V8 (from Toyota Celsior)
5-speed conversion - W5x gearbox from (from Toyota GX100 Chaser)
R31 Diff conversion
R31 front brakes / R31 rear brakes
R31 front struts (converted to coilover) S13 rear coilovers
R31 Wagon fuel tank conversion
Apexi SAFCII
AEM WB02

Physical build took 11 days over xmas/new year 13/14.... Have spent the past few months on-road sorting and refinement... pretty nice package now.

Edited by psi_999
  • Like 1

nice straight blueie... check

cool wheels and the right height... awsome

...toyota mota... nooooooooooooooooooooooo

In all seriousness, that's suuuper clean... nice job.

Phooey.

Shame about those LS1 coils. they are pretty old school and produce average spark power with fairly long dwell durations. Having said that, Ive used those things in the past and they work ok and neaten up wiring and so-on without the need for additional clobber like coil triggers.

The coils you need to use are the D585 (GM Yukon) coils.

These blighters, again internally triggered,literally generate thunderbolts that you can almost weld with and are not a gret deal pricier than those old LS1 clunkers!!!!

Really good stuff!!

Cheers

E

Edited by tassuperkart

Tass: yep good old tried and proven El cheapo ls1 coils, think the set of 6 set me back ~$130 so a nice cheap upgrade. Truck coils are the plan later down the track if all goes pear shaped.

Scotty: not sure mate, have two friends that have run into issues over 400rwhp on stock vq30 coils so swapping them out now makes sense. LS coils pack a fair bit more punch so hopefully it'll work nicely. I've already finished the install now and feels much cleaner off idle and light cruise... big spark ftw :)

Jon

Im about to order 8 of them for a M8 and myself for the Pullstarts. Wnat me to grab 6 more!!! LOL

Cheers

E

haha thanks for the offer.

Should be OK though, 10secrx7 on performanceforums has made 1250rwhp on stock ls1 coils (and another bloke 906rwhp on 155,000km old coils) so should be right for a bit lol.

There are much better coils out there if you want a big spark, I have seen LS coils fail dismally on the dyno, especially if you don't have good dwell adjustment. The only benefit is their cost.

Tass: yep good old tried and proven El cheapo ls1 coils, think the set of 6 set me back ~$130 so a nice cheap upgrade. Truck coils are the plan later down the track if all goes pear shaped.

Scotty: not sure mate, have two friends that have run into issues over 400rwhp on stock vq30 coils so swapping them out now makes sense. LS coils pack a fair bit more punch so hopefully it'll work nicely. I've already finished the install now and feels much cleaner off idle and light cruise... big spark ftw :)

If I changed parts simply because others had issues I wouldn't have ever finished my build. The amount of times I have been told to run copper plugs and change my coils... They are all wrong, it's a VQ, not an RB.

More than likely your mates had dirty coilpacks from sitting at the wreckers, or copper plugs in an engine specifically designed for platinum/iridium plugs. They would have been told the same thing as tuners told me, just change them before you go on the dyno mate...

There are much better coils out there if you want a big spark, I have seen LS coils fail dismally on the dyno, especially if you don't have good dwell adjustment. The only benefit is their cost.

Good ole' LS-1 coils do a reasonable job against their price, makes them an attractive alternative to anything stock without the hassle of multi-channel igniter (trigger) packs, additional messy wiring and so-on.

However, move along to D585's (GM Yukon and several others IIRC LS-2/LS-6....cant remember exactly) coils and spark issues are over for anything short of a welding rod.

Bruce Bowling (Bowling and Grippo developers of Megasquirt) who prolly knows a thing or two about engine management does a nice evaluation of them against a few other like coils. Youtube it.

The spark energy generated V's cost is unbeatable.

E

If it's up and running bring it round to mine this week. Writing the final 1000 words of university papers tonight. No more uni ever.

Once the S15 is sorted you won't want to drive anything else.

Edited by simpletool

• 2 weeks later...

Running great with the LS1 coils, i can absolutely tell the difference between LS and stock coils :D

So another job finally ticked off – oil catch can.
$400 in bits so I’m not surprised I left it until later in the build…. LOL not really, I just had no idea where to put it.
Ended up settling on an off the shelf 2L baffled catch can and had a friend modify it slightly for my purpose. Tucks in nicely in about the last mostly unused space in the engine bay…. 2 x -10 inlets & stainless mesh filter.
Previously occupier of said spot:
20140628_105918.jpg
Installed:
20140712_163135.jpg
20140712_163147.jpg
Just need to rehome the boost control solenoid, drop in some new sparkplugs and its dyno time :D

So took a punt i'd be able to sort out a better solution on the very visible oil catch can filter.... defect central.

Result:

20140715_195533.jpg

20140715_200036.jpg

Filter sits nicely down inside the front bumper, where the OEM intercooler once was.

Also boost controller has been remounted on the fuse box lid:

20140715_200057.jpg

And just because, this is pretty much it... wont be any more engine bay changes from here on.

20140715_195932.jpg

Next, dyno :D

• Like 2