SAU Community

Vq30Det S15 200Sx Spec-R

Oii....how's the writing going? Why are you always fiddling with wiring when I'm on uni break?

I'll leave it up to PSI999 to explain what happened to Nistune. From memory there was too much work left to do within Nistune to do with assigning variables for cranking and idle (lots of tables did nothing and some variables such as crank pulse-width seemed completely absent - not good for over double the injector size). Tried to do some work-arounds but looked like it wasn't going to be resolved satisfactorily.

This is the crux of it, big fan of Nistune but I was probably asking way too much of it in the timeframe I had (or wanted) to get it sorted. Matt from NT had been extremely helpful but in the end I decided to move to a full stand alone system. As I’m keen to run this on both E85 and PULP Haltech with its new flex fuel sensor makes a lot of sense.

So anyway time for an update, i’ve been incredibly lazy (well not really, new kid, shitbox rally (Brisbane, Adelaide, Ayres Rock – Perth) and my other project car (1UZ 5-speed bluebird)).

But as for this POS unfortunately Haltech ECU's wont work out of the box on a VQ30DET - easiest way to to resolve this issue is a custom 36-1 trigger wheel.

So i had one machined up.

IMAG0140.jpg

Which ended up as this (interference fit on crank pulley).

20130608_213613.jpg

Then attached with M5 bolts, tooth removed and painted.

20130705_193508.jpg

And finally installed with raised sensor platforms.

20130705_223515.jpg

ECU installation – Early progress… going for a stealth installation.

20130630_162656.jpg

And as of this week ECU has been powered up & upgraded to lastest Haltech firmware.

Wired and tested:

- Air temp sensor

- Coolant temp sensor

- TPS

- Ethanol sensor (tested with some old EFLEX, 68% - magic little box)

- Crank trigger

- Fan switching

- Clutch switch

- Fuel pump relays

- Boost control

- Shift light

- WB O2 sensor

Wired but untested:

- IAC (4-wire idle stepper motor)

- Ignition coils (12v power source OK)

- Injectors (12v power source OK)

- External MAP sensor

- Digital tacho synchroniser (6 cyl ECU outout – conversion box - 4 cyl dash tacho)

- High/low boost switch

Skid time is fast approaching :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, you make it sound like we're hopeless! :whistling:

Actually no reason at all, i just checked ECU manager and i didn't realise that aspect was programmable. I actually bought the box to run with the stock ecu so i'll pull it out of the mix - cheers for the heads up.

(have exchanged a few emails with Matt on other items, cant be happier with the service from the Haltech guys)

And i have more updates..... (after lots of late nights) its running.

Few little jobs to be sorted including the Idle solenoid - 50/50 chance of wiring it the wrong way, it was the other way :D
I'll also need to check trigger wheel offset (synchronise the ECU) and drop in a new battery, last 6 months sitting around hasn't been kind.
Other than that it all seems to be working as it should -running on all 6 with the worlds shittiest fouled plugs.... Happy Days :D

Good stuff. :) Congrats on getting it running on the 36-1 wheel, are you using a home sync on a cam? Take your time dialing in the trigger offset, it can be tedious but its worth it in the end.

Matt is a genius when it comes to Haltech. 25 years tuning cars will do that!

No home or sync, wastespark and semi sequential (tight arse 1000 :D)

Ive also wired this bad boy up with the flex fuel sensor, this function alone sold me over the PS500 (well onboard data logging helped as well :D)

Matt sorted out my issue straight up - incedently Ive done the shitbox rally for a few years with a few of the Haltech guys, nice blokes.

Edited by psi_999

Hi Jon

Long time since ET days eh?

Another signature project I see!!! As always very nice work M8.

I have to say tho that Adaptronic would have sorted your triggering issues with instant P&P compatibility with a VQ!! Every other feature you could have asked for for far less as well.

I dont use anything else now!!!!

Newhoo, drive on and keep us informed!

Cheers

Evan

one word.. WOW!

Awesome transplant mate well done!! ;)

Cheers guys.

Hi Jon

Long time since ET days eh?

Another signature project I see!!! As always very nice work M8.

I have to say tho that Adaptronic would have sorted your triggering issues with instant P&P compatibility with a VQ!! Every other feature you could have asked for for far less as well.

I dont use anything else now!!!!

Newhoo, drive on and keep us informed!

Cheers

Evan

Cheers mate, and yeah another one of those projects :D

For old times sakes, trip down ET Pulsar 'memory lane':

E17 Stroker - Methanol injection and N20

psi99920050718122700pslfile1.jpg

GTiR RNN14 SR20DET with GT3040 turbo

psi99920050716172959pslfile1.jpg

psi99920041128110341pslfile1.jpg

Hopefully this one wont try and kill me every time i put my foot down LOL.

Actually had considered an adaptronic (EMS will also run a VQ30 out of the box as well) but i had a mate that had mixed results with an Adaptronic on a VQ30 so thought id just go straight to a Haltech - bit more pain but hopefully that's all behind me now :).

Also I have UPDATES!

Shift light mounted. Hidden away in one of the A/C dash vents.
20130721_145335.jpg
Super bright Cree LED so no issues with stealth install - it'll light up the windscreen at night its so bright.
20130721_165750.jpg
And after a bit of frigging around with the maps i took it for a ~1.5 hour road test this afternoon - laptop on the passenger seat and started to tune.
Idle sorted, tad high (1000rpm) but its consistent with decent AFR's
And a short video of in car.
Few things to fix up, no tacho (wiring/software config - not high on priority list) and idle stepper motor hasn't been touched yet.
More tuning this week :D
Edited by psi_999

Hmmm thats strange (Adaptronic) Andy is the most helpful dude Ive ever known and Ive not known a running issue yet that he didnt not and sort out! S'appens tho!
I have an adaptronic 420C on the old Pullstart and a 440 select on the VG30det and its sensational!!!

Thanks for the Pullstart memories! I always drooled over that particular thing!! Its not something I'd contemplate doing but I love it anyway!!!

Cheers

Evan

Edited by tassuperkart

• 4 months later...

For old times sakes, trip down ET Pulsar 'memory lane':

E17 Stroker - Methanol injection and N20

psi99920050718122700pslfile1.jpg

GTiR RNN14 SR20DET with GT3040 turbo

psi99920050716172959pslfile1.jpg

psi99920041128110341pslfile1.jpg

Hopefully this one wont try and kill me every time i put my foot down LOL.

Jesu Christo!

you must love tyre smoke and noise. faark