SAU Community

Which Type Of Saw Do I Need?

Duncan

My immediate need is to do about 100x 45 o cuts in very thin ally to make flyscreens, but I figure I should get something that will cover the majority of car-faby sort of things as well.

What do I need? Any particular blades as well to deal with thin ally, 1-3mm steel etc?

Hacksaw just doesn't cut it! (Ha Ha, I kill me)

Get a cold cut drop saw like the one at the workshop.

No abrasive crap flying everywhere, cold cut joints so no burning yourself.

One blade to cut almost everything

Blades can be sharped for $25.00 ( I do mine every 3 months)

Hare and Forbes sell them or eBay.

Abrasive drop saws are rubbish you'll spend more time cleaning up the mess in the garage than doing the job.

I'd just use a grinder with 1mm wheels, either the specific aluminium ones or just general purpose ones with the wax. A cold saw will need to be spinning pretty damn fast or it will grab and bend your piece if it's thin. Make up a template or guide so you don't have to mark each one.

definately the frame. And while a nibbler is on my to buy list I am looking to make a bunch of 45o cuts easily so knife/hacksaw etc isn't going to do it.

brad...by the look of it a cold saw is a bit OTT in functions and price for what I need.

brenton, I've definatly got a grinder so if I do go that way I guess I need a template and a clamp to hold it in place, still seems a bit open to error though

From looking around it seems a compound mitre saw is probably what I'll go with, does anyone have any tips or opinions on type or brand?

definately the frame. And while a nibbler is on my to buy list I am looking to make a bunch of 45o cuts easily so knife/hacksaw etc isn't going to do it.

brad...by the look of it a cold saw is a bit OTT in functions and price for what I need.

brenton, I've definatly got a grinder so if I do go that way I guess I need a template and a clamp to hold it in place, still seems a bit open to error though

From looking around it seems a compound mitre saw is probably what I'll go with, does anyone have any tips or opinions on type or brand?

A grinder with diamond blades , supercheap has a pack for like 15 bucks for 2 , cuts anything like butter no kickbacks

It cuts braided lines in seconds clean too

watch the sizes grinders come in a few !

They work, still need to be careful. I seen blades shatter because people weren't paying attention. Make sure its clamped tight (As can be, can't clamp thin ally too tight) and use some WD40 on the blade as a lubricant. Aluminium gums up blades, and they don't cut.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks, mate, I ended up grabbing a bosch one (similar price to the makita but included laser which was helpful).

I ended up cutting up the frames over the weekend, the saw was perfect. I did grab an aluminiun blade because there was so much to cut and the frames are so damn thin. Also made heaps of use of the saw frame to cut lengths to the same size without having to measure each time....I can see why people make up jigs when they have to cut multiple pieces.

post-74-0-06998500-1359365316_thumb.jpg

Was given a tip about using saw wax as well which I had never come across. To soon to say if it was any use in this case, but it was cheap insurance