SAU Community

I Want To Get Back On 2 Wheels - Superbike 1000Cc

hi all,

ive been riding for almost 15yrs but i threw the towel in about 4 yrs ago.

bikes have changed dramatically with all of these electronic assist gadgets (abs, traction control, wheelie control etc) & ive been doing my own diligence...1 bike stands out BIG TIME in terms of performance - BMW S1000RR :)

interested to hear what others are riding & more so, if anyone owns a "planet power bmw"

thanks

try the newer 1k blades 08-13 when they come out, like a 600 in size but heaps of power and no anti fun controls if your going to ride every day, or i like the new r1's sound great but are heavy from i've been told, if i was you i would test ride them all and see what you like the best, then see if they have any issues from searching online and go from there.

Build a old modern classic, new bikes are so common, if your not going to race it that is, if not be the coolest dude at the milkbar will a old slabside/katana/CB1100RR/Ducati 900 MHR/Kwaka Z

My 2 Favs of all time, when my old 86 GSXR1100 was parked up no one would be looking at anything else.

Not mine but the same.

The Honda, well I didnt have the coin.

Greekos - you are right that I should ride the zx10r, r1, gsxr, blade and even the 1199.

Mlr - I luv old skool bikes and appreciate them but for me, it needs to withstand track days.

I used to race competitively so it needs to perform, just like my gtr :)

The Beemers are pretty crazy bikes, but for a solid $6k premium over one of the Japs, combined with questionable reliability, I'd go a Jap four any day of the week.

If you are hellbent on gadgets, wait until this years bikes roll out. Kawashitty have gone down the TC, ABS etc, etc route and Honda et al are rumored to be following suit this year.

Gadgets are good but a 'blade with $6k dropped on it will spank a Beemer.

Then again, at the end of the day unless your name ends in "'obert" or "oner" or "han" it's unlikely you can push any of the modern 1000s to within 80% of their capabilities so it's really all much of a muchness.

If you love the look of the Beemers and don't care about throwing $6k more on it, then go for it. The only thing you should be concerned about in that situation is reliability/quality. The S1000s have had some issues.

My godbrother had a katana when they 1st came out back in the mid 80s...that pop up headlight was revolutionary

A friggin' legendary bike. He doesn't still have it?

The pop up headlight 1100s are worth a pretty penny these days.

Build a old modern classic, new bikes are so common, if your not going to race it that is, if not be the coolest dude at the milkbar will a old slabside/katana/CB1100RR/Ducati 900 MHR/Kwaka Z

My 2 Favs of all time, when my old 86 GSXR1100 was parked up no one would be looking at anything else.

Not mine but the same.

there is one just like this sitting at my dads workshop, i think it's even the same year. i've often thought about buying it. he's reconditioned it for the owner a while ago so i know its in good shape mechanically, but the guy's health hasnt been the greatest so he's not likely to ride it again.. dad seems to think i could probably buy it for around $1500 would this be a good thing? only thing wrong with it is its missing the front/side fairings

Been off the bike for over 3yrs myself since both patellas were removed.

Rode my cousins ZX14r a week ago, all I can say is omg! Over 200bhp and stomping amounts of torque. Insane.

Too heavy for my liking tho, sounds like you're like me & need something to handle the twisties as well as possible....

Look into any of the 1L sports machines, testride & see what suits you best.

Id love a 1L v-twin next, or ZX12r, but would most likely go for a mod'd Gsxr or Fireblade, & spend coin on setting it up to suit my height.

Have fun with the test rides!!!

If you want to have a spastic amount of fun in the twisties look for something like a Hypermotard. It'll run out of puff down the MS of PI but you won't need to brake to T1 :) The rest of the track will see you eating sports bikes

I'd have one in a second only all my bikes end up rooted due to getting the flogging they cop in peak hour everyday. Commuting is hard on bikes so I can't bring myself to drop $20k on something I know will be stuffed in three years.

i remember when i was on my r1 (or could have been my zx10r or gsxr1000) about 6 yrs, i went thru a corner knee down & still warming up the tyres on the first few laps and this hypermotard went past me on the outside with the rear tyre kicked out and his inner leg kicked out like he was riding on the dirt...i couldnt believe it lol

once my tyres were hot though - it was bye bye :)

I recently sold my GSXR-750 K9...and I'm really feeling the urge to get back on 2 wheels again. In terms of the looks department Honda has gone down the toilet. I mean look at the front end of the fireblade...damn ugly, and now the 600RR looks crap too.

I am aiming for a Kawasaki ZX-6R 636 (2013 model)...that to me, is a gorgeous bike. If only I had the cash to splash on it now. :unsure:

If I was buying a bike I'd buy another r6 but if it had to be a 1000cc it would be an r1, I'm currently looking for a yz250 for a weekend trail bike

But I "might" be a little bias lol