SAU Community

Time It Takes Your Car To Reach Normal Operating Temp?

RTHRTY3

Just wondering how long it takes your car to reach normal operating temp from a cold start under normal (no lead foot) drive?

I've got a stock as a rock R34 GTT apart from an apexi pod...it takes under 60 secs to reach the half way mark on my engine temp gauge. Using Cusco 5w 40 oil.

Cheers

It should probably take a little bit longer than that, but these hot days may be causing it to come up to temp a bit quicker. I'm assuming that is while you are driving? In which case how you drive will also play a part.

If that is 60 seconds of idling then unless it is super hot where you are, that is a little bit on the quick side as it takes longer when idling.

I should add that it may just be that the gauge is just a little bit happy and there is nothing wrong with the cooling system. The gauge gets to the normal point from about 65 degrees and above

yeah mine takes not long at all really. driving at suburban speeds maybe about 2mins and its up to temp or if i start it up and jump straight onto the open road (100kph) it comes up real quick yeah maybe 60 seconds

Before with my almost dead thermostat, it would take 20+ mins.

But after swapping over to a new one, it'll take roughly around 2-3kms @ 60km/h.

As mad082 said, it really depends on the weather as well. If it's a really hot day, then the thermostat will open a lot sooner versus a cold night where it'll stay closed for longer so the engine can warm up properly.

Thats only coolant, temperature,

+1, so you shouldnt use that as an indicator that its ready to be driven hard. You want the oil temp to be normal before you do that, and it takes a lot longer.

i must have somthing wrong then, according to the power fc, im at approx 50degrees within 5min. living on acreage it can take that long to get out the front gate with a toddler getting his seatbelt on, lol, then after 5-10min at 60-80k/hr im upto high 70's,

do you guys recommend a standard thermostat or aftermarket? and what coolant temp is considered the normal?

Edited by AngryRBGTX

82 degrees is normal. and definitely go standard. go genuine nissan. you can buy plenty of aftermarket ones with lower temps, but they are a waste of time and money, partly because they will make you use more fuel.