SAU Community

Your Detailing Results - Picture Thread

How can i make my window rubber surrounds black again? They're chalky and look shit.

I've tried 4 coats of back to black and it lasted a few months but I'm after something that will be glossy and last. You detailers must know of something ;)

to rejuvinate it needs constant reapplication for an extended period...so every 2 weeks for 6 months for eg, it should start looking better...Otherwise you are only masking it really, think of it like putting a coat of paint on rusty metal.

Wether you use a cheap or expensive product , you will find applying a little product often will work better in the long term than applying alot all at once..

back to black is a reasonable product it may just be your application is wrong..

Alot of people like aerospace 303, personally I find Mequirs rubber gel works good too for a cheap product, ..its purple and it smells like bubblegum..:D..I'll apply it every six months or so and my rubbers all still look great..

something else that works is leather conditioner, it has alot of oils in it that seem to soak into rubber well..

otherwise get in contact with waxit Im sure he will have something for rejuvenation of old rubber

I'd recommend Cquartz Dlux. Not cheap but it lasts.

Here's a good review.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/52351-carpro-cquartz-dlux-review.html

Thank you :) I actually read the same thread a few years ago but could never find it in australia. just found it on waxit.

to rejuvinate it needs constant reapplication for an extended period...so every 2 weeks for 6 months for eg, it should start looking better...Otherwise you are only masking it really, think of it like putting a coat of paint on rusty metal.

Wether you use a cheap or expensive product , you will find applying a little product often will work better in the long term than applying alot all at once..

back to black is a reasonable product it may just be your application is wrong..

Alot of people like aerospace 303, personally I find Mequirs rubber gel works good too for a cheap product, ..its purple and it smells like bubblegum.. :D..I'll apply it every six months or so and my rubbers all still look great..

something else that works is leather conditioner, it has alot of oils in it that seem to soak into rubber well..

otherwise get in contact with waxit Im sure he will have something for rejuvenation of old rubber

That was exactly my intention, to mask it. The last time i looked at these products i could not find anything to get rid of the chalky stains. I just found duragloss 481 on carcareproducts, they seem confident about their product. Now that I can get rid of the chalky stains I can get something that will restore shine and protect :)

I will give the rubbers a hit with duragloss 481 then use cquartz dlux.

Thank you for your help you two :)

I just bought this Turtle Wax black tinted acrylic trim coating, looks pretty interesting. Normally not a fan of Turtle Wax products but they have been bringing out some good stuff lately, especially the towels and applicators

https://www.turtlewax.com/shop/products/turtle-wax-jet-black-black-endura-shine-trim-coating

Edited by junkie

i used to get that kind of result from the original version of meguiars nxt wax, the gloss, flake pop and swirl filling were incredible. too bad it would last a week max. current nxt 2.0 is pretty average unfortunately, does last longer but nothing special otherwise

I tried this new synthetic paint sealant. Wolfgang deep gloss.

20140622_132626_zpsc229fc15.jpg

DSCN1648_zps39e9aecc.jpg

i just thought this was an interesting comparison...its coated in AMMO sealant, 2 coats and 1 of ammo creme...It doesnt do alot for the flek and colour contrast as you can see, yours has darker blacks and the purple has more pop though lighting and camera type is probably playing a part too< im assuming yours is a phone picture that usually have higher built in contrast settings.....I really wanted to use Polishangels coatings like this purple Audi, the wetness is amazing..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=281360095379185&set=vb.279199828928545&type=2&theater

but time and budget restraints meant i used what I had here....have been using the ammo system on my cressida for the last year almost, its definately holding up ok and comes up like new after every wash..but it does tend to flatten colours and metallics a bit...I still find california gold wax to give a richer shine than the ammo, but has nowhere near as good protection.....will be recoating the cres with Polishangel glasscoat next time and probably a layer of Blue xilion to try get some more colour into it...Its just looking a bit bland for my liking...

my next test will be chemical guys blacklight and hybrid v7, bought both but been too lazy to actually use them. meant to produce a pretty awesome result. the next item on my to buy list is naviwax ioncoat. not produced anymore but can still be found online

Yep that was a phone pic. Its amazing how different sealants bring out different colours on MNP cars. Both look nice and wet.

My phone seems to capture it well. I havent had a wax/sealant that makes it this purple. And I must say I like it.

20140625_111818_zpsaghlaxrs.jpg

• Like 2

You've just 10 fold increased my MNP boner Hadouken, that looks incredible! More pics plx :)

Has anyone tried 'Meguiar's M66 Quick Detailer Polish', I've scored about 3l worth and providing weather holds out this weekend might give it a run.

• 2 weeks later...

Another weekend, another black R34...

started here...yes the wholoe car was like this :/

DSCN1870_zpsc40a9e26.jpg

fg500 and some yellow pad got it here

DSCN1874_zpsb47bb1ea.jpg

FF4000 and a blue scholl pad got it here

DSCN1875_zps15a8c26e.jpg

Quick coat of sealer and carnuba got it done...

DSCN1883_zpsb7901669.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fresh paint:

Sand 1500, polish 5 or 6 times, wash, Lime prime light, Dodo hard candy, Dodo rainforest rub, Autoglym extra gloss protection. Some "black wow" on the old grey rubbers came up well.

post-89755-0-48498900-1406167412_thumb.jpg post-89755-0-81240300-1406167508_thumb.jpg post-89755-0-22823300-1406167644_thumb.jpg

post-89755-0-78672900-1406167702_thumb.jpg post-89755-0-40014000-1406167835_thumb.jpg post-89755-0-80689000-1406167917_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Lookin great! But, I suggest sealant first then wax on top. I would imagine sealants would have a pretty hard time bonding to wax as most are designed to bond to clean paint instead