SAU Community

Tunes?

hey guys,

looking to tune my r34 GTT

heard some tuners say nistune is bad because it uses old tech, and some say its the best bang for money etc, just wondering if anyone can give me some info about different tunes etc?

Old tech! Haha. The old Hitachi et al ECUs are still good bits of kit. If you don't need bells and whistles, then a Nistuned factory ECU is the absolute best control for a lightly tuned engine, and still more than capable of dealing with even heavy modification. The only real downside is needing to retain the AFM.

If you need a lot of bells and whistles, then it makes sense to look elsewhere.

And of course it is the best bang for buck for many people. A few hundred $ for a board put in and whatever it costs for the tune.

You ask "just wondering if anyone can give me some info about different tunes etc?" I don't really know what you mean by that. Do you mean different ECUs? The only "different tunes" you would have for any engine would be one with no safety margins and max power, a safer one with less timing and richer mixtures, and perhaps versions of those for different fuels. Anything else doesn't make much sense.

well some one was telling me that standard tune would be a nistune, then some say mild tune, then some say safe tune, i have no idea what they are on about. is there like different brand of tunes at different prices and stuff or am i looking at this the wrong way?

well i went to one tuner. he say yeh get a nistune, cheapsest atm and can things simple

go to a different tuner, and he says stay away from nistune because its out dated.. uses 300zx tech or something... man seriously didnt know wtf he was on about... i just nodded and smiled... so yeh... not sure how to approach getting car tuned etc.

well some one was telling me that standard tune would be a nistune, then some say mild tune, then some say safe tune, i have no idea what they are on about. is there like different brand of tunes at different prices and stuff or am i looking at this the wrong way?

well i went to one tuner. he say yeh get a nistune, cheapsest atm and can things simple

go to a different tuner, and he says stay away from nistune because its out dated.. uses 300zx tech or something... man seriously didnt know wtf he was on about... i just nodded and smiled... so yeh... not sure how to approach getting car tuned etc.

You need to get a few things straight in your head so it makes sense.

1) Nistune is not a "tune". Nistune is a daughterboard that gets installed in the factory ECU in place of the original EEPROM (or equivalent). The daughterboard provides the ability to emulate the original EEPROM to the ECU, whilst being programmable through the Consult port in the car. Win! You can change nearly everything in the ECU's tune (there are, obviously, some limits to what you can do).

2) No ECU is a "tune". An ECU is just that, a piece of hardware. The "tune" is the work done to set up the fuel, timing and other tables in the ECU so that it runs the engine the way you want it to run. Or, you could consider the "tune" to be the finished product of that work.

3) Nistune for an R34's Neo engine uses the R34 ECU. The only engine that you can't Nistune with it's own ECU is the R33 RB25DET because the ECUs in those things have a bad dose of the gheys. And even using a Z32 ECU to put Nistune onto an 33 is still better than leaving the R33 ECU in charge of the engine.

Who's this someone? would like to know.

R33 use Z32 modified ECUs or even R32 ECUs with an external VTC controller

R34 use R34 ECUs

Essentially you can consider Nistune like a standalone ECU is a sense where it can be plugged into a laptop, maps tuned however the fuark you want them. So it can be aggressive, mild or safe however you like it done.

So the person who said that Nistune safe or mild or whatever the heck he said is wrong.

Biggest nissan AFM (Z32 AFM) is up to 500hp.

If you are chasing over 500hp you need map senser ecu (motec , haltech etc).

So ECU is depends on power.

If you are drive mainly on street nistune (remap) is best.

The best piece of advice i can give you is figure out what you want to use the car for daily? track duties? whatever.

then pick a power figure where you will be happy.

figure out your budget.

once you have established these three things compromise on what is going to best suit you as far as an ecu.

if you want to run any sort of additional functions Launch control anti lag E85 you will need an aftermarket ECU

interesting thanks fellas i think i have a bit better understanding.

so let me get this, there is no specific tune names for tune, and the nistune is a daughterboard ecu for the stock, but the r34 ecu is remappable thus i don't need to buy a new ecu for the tune.

i was chasing around 400HP.

i googled nistune, didnt really tell me how much "make way more power than you will ever make, using nistune."

so whats more recommended or vouched for? a nistune chip or apexi power fc?

Nistune and PFC are approximately the same capability. PFC is less legal. Nistune is also illegal, but at least it is in the factory ECU, so it looks like the original ECU.

400HP at the fly or at the wheels? Either is really a doddle for either ECU anyway, so it hardly matters. You can get close to 400HP at the flywheel on the factory AFM with Nistune or PFC. 400 at the wheels will require a Z32 AFM, but also be pushing the limits of what an unopened engine is happy running without breaking anyway.

Biggest nissan AFM (Z32 AFM) is up to 500hp.

If you are chasing over 500hp you need map senser ecu (motec , haltech etc).

So ECU is depends on power.

If you are drive mainly on street nistune (remap) is best.

Dont forget Ford lightning MAF or a multiple afm setup.

400 - 500rwkw no worries.