SAU Community

Should I Stay Or Should I Go?

Funny thread title considering I only just joined!

But its not about the R35... its about whether I should stay with the Fords or cut my ties after 15+years of doing the Falcon thing.

Over the last 6-7 years in particular ive had some pretty hardcore Fords and have a very active membership on Australian Ford Forums but having owned an MY11 R35 for the last 14 months im at a bit of a crossroads as to whether to stick with the local product or move forward in evolution so to speak.

I have to downsize the "fleet" and seling the R35 just doesnt sit well with me as it feels like im taking a step backwards but the 2 bigbanger Falcons I own have essentially been finished and all the hard $$$ have been spent on them so it would make sence to just keep them and enjoy them (which I do), then later on sell up and get back into a GT-R... that would seem the logical step but when is the right time to "move on"?..... maybe I am already there?

So while it seems like one of those annoying rhetorical threads where the OP can only answer himself, I guess im looking to hear from any other non-Nissan dyed-in-the-wool members on here that have been in a similar situation with Fords, Holdens, Rexies or Evos (or anything else) that made the call to jump over for good or ill.

While I feel like I will lose out either way im really feeling like diving into the GT-R scene with both feet!!!

Daniel

I owned a Evo 9 before I got my MY11 r35 and honestly I haven't looked back apart from driving a manual can be alot more fun and also the blow off valve sound haha

But seriously the GTR makes the Evo seem like its a Excel and with the amount of money you need to put into most cars to have the same amount of power is it worth it and then also reliability once u have all that power the GTR has a lot of hidden power which can be extracted from basic mods and still remain a reliable 10s street car. I hope this has helped you out :)

Thanks Jason, Yes Josh (Prescott) told me about your R35 he said you were very happy with it, the same car as mine colour and all.

My DD FG Falcon has run 9.8 @ 145 with a bit still left in it and is quite reliable so its not about power or speed so much its about AWD powerdown and the fact that its not built on Taxi underpinnings... such a great platform to start with as you say.

Daniel

I owned a Evo 9 before I got my MY11 r35 and honestly I haven't looked back apart from driving a manual can be alot more fun and also the blow off valve sound haha
But seriously the GTR makes the Evo seem like its a Excel and with the amount of money you need to put into most cars to have the same amount of power is it worth it and then also reliability once u have all that power the GTR has a lot of hidden power which can be extracted from basic mods and still remain a reliable 10s street car. I hope this has helped you out :)

I can sympathize to a degree.

I originally had an R34 GT-R I purchased in 2002 and spent 8 years doing all sorts of different things to it and using it for different activities from originally a street car to a tarmac rally car as well before unfortunately bending it slightly into a tree at Targa Tasmania in 2010. I then made the decision to buy a new shell and build the "perfect" R34 from the ground up from everything we had learnt over the previous 8 years but this time starting with a clean slate.

I built the car, ran it at Targa Tasmania in 2011 and it was fantastic but felt strange afterwards in that I had kind of reached the end of what I was going to be able to do with one of those cars, so 6 months after having built this "perfect" car I sold it and started the R35 project.

Even now my R35 is finally getting towards where we want it to be - but I have started to think about looking into a completely different automotive direction (am thinking about getting a Radical SR3). I will keep the R35 project going for now with the objective still to run it at Bathurst next Easter - but I will be interested to see if after that goal is completed whether this urge for a new challenge will take over or not.

Not sure if any of that is relevant but I do find a new challenge does excite me more than re-doing what I have already done before.

• Like 1

....it was fantastic but felt strange afterwards in that I had kind of reached the end of what I was going to be able to do with one of those cars...

Not sure if any of that is relevant but I do find a new challenge does excite me more than re-doing what I have already done before.

Thankyou... that's where my mind is at right now. My supercharged AU T-Series Falcon is a T56 6 speed (PPG H-Pattern) and has run 10.07 and is the fastest manual modular V8 (think Boss V8) in Aus by a fair margin, while my twin turbo FG XR8 @ 9.83 secs is the fastest ZF 6 speed auto currently and are both fantastic street cars running R888's full time with 700-1000rwhp depending on tune and fuel.

While I know I can do more and go faster etc etc I kinda feel like ive reached the end of what I can (or want) to do with them.

Either im really ready for a change or im thinking of "going out on top" in my minds eye... thats how I see it from my POV.

My close friends tell me ill regret it and that selling later when I "know" im ready for a change is smarter, but in between ill be left wondering when.

Grrr, its hard when you have two good choices hahahaha

Actually my R35 has been 18 months of pain (came with a bad motor which we tried to work around but eventually had to replace, and I've also had a bunch of gearbox issues plus a crash thrown in there as well).

And through all this time I've had heaps of people say to me "I bet you regret selling the R34 now" and the honest answer was no I don't regret it at all. This R35 will be epic when it's finished and the journey is all part of the fun. I think if you've made your mind up that you want to try something new you won't regret that decision if you put your heart into it in the same way as you did the Fords.

• Like 1

Have had my R35 for 4 months now, Sold my 3yr old HSV E2 Clubsport R8 as part of the process of upgrading. I loved the HSV, but I must admit i havent missed driving the HSV because of the constant pleasure / surprise in driving the R35.. Sounds like both your Henry's are mighty beasts, but frankly you could re-do that sort of work on base model's anytime into the future, therefore i think you should sell the fords and keep the GTR. . I would however keep an eye on whether Ford brings out a GT-HO in these next couple of years (FG-Mk3 or whats next) to give there FPV a Kick-along.. That would be worth serious thought !!

Given how much i enjoy V8 Supercar, my biggest dilmena is do i support my long followed HRT Team or make a clean brake on the Nissan Teams. I have decided to follow both , but HRT is still my primary team at the moment..

• Like 1

Cheers Mike, the other side of the argument is: "the cars are already modded and well set up so if you are wrong......"

Most feedback so far seems to be that generally people dont look back, ive never made the transition before from one marque to another so its a real leap of faith for me.

I know its not forever but if I give up what I got it will sure feel close to impossible to get back there should I be wrong.

Maybe diving in headfirst and not looking back is the way to be... if I shell all the Ford projects I could go pretty hard on a '35 Mwahahahaha

Daniel

Edited by CAT600

im going onto 3 years of ownership (bought new may 2010) and has now become the longest ive ever owned a car

i wouldnt mind something new, something different, problem is everything else is a backwards step. i take it to the drags for a laugh and reel off a 10.81 with 21" street tyres with the aircon on. put it on the boat and do 1300kms in 3 days in tassie and marvel at the stupid levels of grip, power out of a corner and perfect stock dampening over the bumps. i can't think of anything at any price point i could replace it with that will do all that so effortlessly, so i continue to keep it

what i did do recently is buy a 2012 evo x mr to play around and feed the mod/new project bug, and is proving to be quite a great little car - just as tune'able as the gtr but at a far lower price point, eg; new mhi turbo for 1700 bucks shipped and ill only have to lean over the valve cover to fit it. once i put the ohlins coilovers on it ill be taking it to track and entering targa events (in touring class to begin with)

Daniel , fair point.. Changing Marques if you have always been a Henry owner would be tough.. I must admit after having: 2 Chryslers, 1 Ford, 1 Toyota, 1 Mitsubishi, 1 Holden, 2 BMW's, 2 Nissan 350Z's, 1 Honda, 2 HSV's and now the GTR i have lost my connection to any one Brand..

BTW: You got a GT-Blue R35 as well ?

Domino: Yes mate im hearing you on the backwards step, and even moreso knowing what it takes to get a Falcon to run mid 10's on street tyres (ok R888's but thats how I roll hahaha) and even with Coilovers and 380mm 8 piston Brembo's still fall so far short in suspension engineering it just gives me all the more respect for the team of little white-coats in Japan that designed this amazing vehicle.

Its like they gathered round and said: "how do we build a stock car that will impress Daniel Otway?"

Just got so much respect for the car.

Mike: Yep love that Aurora Flare!... I really wanted Silver but the Blue just grabbed me and I got it for a great price (136 + ORC when it was just 8 months old) the best bit was that I drove that exact car when it was new, the previous owner bought it with 400-odd kms on it and some of them were mine.. couldnt justify the 192K driveaway price when new but what a bargain I got!!!

The Fords are awesome for what they are, very easy to drive but I have had big plans for the GT-R and once I get my teeth into cars I go hard!

Any more thoughts guys keep 'em coming!

Daniel

Hey Daniel,

We're tarred with the same brush - as you would probably know from Ford Forums. I've had a number of high powered Fords over the years and recently jumped into an R35.

Right now I've got a 2009 F6E(currently on the market), 2010 GTE (one of the quickest in the country atm - 10.8@130) and a 2010 R35. Pump fuel and street tyres is also my "thing".

I bleed blue, but if necessity forced me to chose between the GTE and the R35 right now, the GTE would go and I'd pick up another V8 later. I tell you this though, I would fight bloody hard to hang onto both.

Honestly hoping you can hold onto at least one of the Fords -AND- the GTR.

Regards,

Phil.

I also notice that Brian (BCL) frequents this forum (I know him from FordXr6turbo.com from a few years back). It would be interesting to get his perspective as he now has an R35 after having a string of high powered Turbos from other manufacturers.

I find it interesting that a lot of enthusiasts are ending up here.

Thanks Sutty... yep its hard and while definatley not going to shed everything I really want to hang onto both my workshop (got plans hahaha) and the R35 so somethings gotta give.

The unfortunate thing is that while the Twin Turbo (FG) is easier to live with every day (it drives like a totally stock FG plus 600-odd hp) my heart is with the AU so its a bloody tough one were only one to stay... thats why im dicing with moving the Ford thing on altogether and just diving into a new chapter of life.

.. I spoke with Brian not long ago and his perspective was somewhat similar to mine. I see his 1000hp Ford weapon on Carsales and it just makes me wonder "Do I want to do it that way or do it now when I feel I can exit a little easier on the conscience?"... I guess I would hate to do it too late?

Here is some pics of the Fords... Might help understand my reluctance to let go... not that I expect owners of R35's will fall in love with my Taxis but the amount of work that has gone into making them reliable at this kinda power is huge

My humble little 780rwhp AU:

Ford GT Supercar wheels with 295/30/19 R888's

6caeba3f.jpg

5.0L of supercharged Quad cam

DSC03693.jpg

PPG T56 dogbox, Corvette ZR1 front plate with oil pump and input shaft lubricataion:

DSC03779.jpg

Halfway across Aus.. averaged 15L per 100 full of gear (like 2.5T worth) @ 700rwhp

P1050311.jpg

Heathcote Park at the Forum nationals:

2012AFFDragNationals_0118.jpg

The 1000rwhp twin turbo FG:

Engine built at home in my shed:

cb823a16.jpg

8 piston Brembo's:

DSC03642.jpg

On a 9 sec pass, there is plenty more left in this car should end up in the mid-9's

233C6EFE-5E5D-4667-BC27-797217BCD35B-832

Fuel system:

DSC03140.jpg[/url]

Engine Bay:

DSC03193.jpg[/url]

Photo shoot for a local mag:

AluminaTTor2.jpg

The three muskateers:

a5861600.jpg

Twin Turbo's racked up!

DSC03790.jpg

If only it were so!

Nothing special here, an offshore mechanic on a wage, it pays well no doubt but the cars have been my life so far so prioritizing them over family or travel was an easy decision.

But time marches on, things change and I met the right lady so it's time for the next chapter... Love to keep all three but it's not possible unfortunately, either financially or time commitment wise.

Daniel

I also notice that Brian (BCL) frequents this forum (I know him from FordXr6turbo.com from a few years back). It would be interesting to get his perspective as he now has an R35 after having a string of high powered Turbos from other manufacturers.

I find it interesting that a lot of enthusiasts are ending up here.

Hi Daniel,

The timing of this thread is very pertinent to me.

I understand fully your situation.

Some times you finish a project, reach a goal or just need or feel like a change, or something changes in your life that forces you to change.

We all have mv needs, dd requirements, small or large family drives size of vehicle required, as well as need for speed, either ¼ mile or circuit.

Sometimes you just have to let go.

My children have grown up, so there is now more of a focus on my wife and I, plus retirement requirements in the near future, and the need to spend the kids inheritance.

For me, living in a city, garaging/storage is also an issue.

For some of us it is a self indulgent passion.

Below are my 5 turbo cars, picture taken last Friday at my place.

bcl_5_turbo_cars.jpg

R35

2 F6’s, blue car has done a 138mph pass on street tyres, grey F6 132mph & 11 flat on pump fuel

2 STi’s, MY06 STi (wifes car stock), MY00 STi for circuit racing, and it set a NSW WRX club record at Wakefield last month on street tyres.

I’m in the same situation, and have to downsize “the fleet”.

So last Friday I sold the blue F6. That car was the culmination of an expensive project over 5 years, and I believe the first xr6 turbo in the country to have a 1000HP engine. I had to let go. I couldn’t justify storing it the garage anymore, and rarely driving it. I should have sold it 3 years ago. I have owned 10 Ford Falcons, the first was an XY in 1975, so hanging on was more of an emotional rather than rational situation.

Funny, I bought a new lawnmover 2 weeks ago. None of those 5 cars could fit it so I took my run-around spare Suzuki SX4!

R35 is king, only mildly modded, but off the mark beyond anything I’ve driven

Grey F6 with over 450rwkw and ZF box is a great taxi, mostly a dd, comfortable, good torque, but lack of traction is an issue.

MY00 STi is a fun car; more power than R35 with only 1300kg & 275 rubber at all 4. Cosworth engine. It’s currently around 1-2 sec quicker around that circuit than the R35. More guys are getting into smaller cars, for circuit use. I bought this car in 1999.

More guys that I know, especially those that have circuit cars, are also purchasing 4-wheel drives, for extra storage and practicality, and for use as possible tow cars. I may end up selling my F6 for such a changeover. My wife has put her foot down and said no more cars unless I sell first!

So, after all of the above I think it is time to let go of one of your Fords. It will be painful after all the effort, but nothing lasts forever.

Regards

Brian

• Like 1

Brian,

Thanks so much for taking the time to input, really appreciate it because it takes a bit to put yourself out there on these somewhat sensitive issues.

For some time I think my heart has been trying to hang on and "convincing" my brain to fall into line, but just like that famous line in "the Matrix" something just doesn't feel quite right, "like a splinter in your mind"

Letting go won't be easy, I'm just lucky to have had so many great experiences with the Falc's, and such a great car to continue on with in my automotive journey!

Daniel