SAU Community

Our R32

No huge updates, been flat out with uni so haven't made any more progress on replacing the oil pump gasket, although I did get the necessary genuine parts from Nissan to do the job:

20131007_225733.jpg

End of semester coincided with a much needed trip to Sydney/World Time Attack, many race cars were seen and many beers were drunk. It was also great to be there to support a couple of local Tassie boys who entered the Tectaloy International Drift Challenge, Lloyd Smith and Ben Purtell.

20131019_204303.jpg

Whilst I was there I took advantage of the trade stalls and managed to haggle for a bit of a discount on a new Velo steering wheel from the Autosport Direct (http://www.autosport.com.au) stand.

20131024_143102.jpg

A few weeks ago I replaced the front shocks with 2nd hand items I got a off a mate as one was leaking, turns out one of the 'new' ones is leaking too, so we've decided to do it properly and put in some brand new damper/height adjustable coilovers. The idea was to try and get a bargain at WTAC but there were so many options we didn't feel comfortable making the decision on the spot. I spoke to MCA about a set of their Blue series coilovers but they are still in development for the R32 and won't be available until early next year sometime, so we've almost decided on a set of BC BR Type RS coilovers instead as I don't think we can wait.

Looking forward to finishing exams and getting stuck into it!

• Like 1

Yeah his car is so well setup! It's ridiculously quick too, just had to look at his lead run with Mad Mike and you could see he had a good 30m on him, that battle should have gone to a re-run imo. Did you catch Lloyd's 360 entry into turn one on Saturday night?

• 1 month later...

Finally there's been a bit of a development with the car, firstly, I have bought out my brother's share in the car, he seemed to lose motivation a long time ago and I was doing most of the work anyway so it's probably for the better.

Before that happened I finished pulling the oil pump off and my brother put it back on along with the new gasket and front main seal, and re-sealed the sump. It still wasn't completely clear where the gasket had failed when we pulled it off, probably partly due to us butchering the gasket a bit in the process, which is leaving me a bit apprehensive as to whether the problem is fixed. We've considered it could be a crack in the oil pump, or even block, but we inspected both pretty thoroughly and couldn't find anything obvious, so I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

I made up an airbox out of 3mm alloy sheet and got Aaron Martin at AzCustoms to weld it up for me. I may have to make the opening where the intercooler piping goes through a little larger to better allow for movement of the engine.

20131115_143012.jpg

20131115_142820.jpg

Then there was a bit of a break from working on the car, until now, as I had more uni work, then surgery on my jaw! I'm still in the process of recovering but managed to get out in the shed today and finished putting everything back together, all that's left to do now is dump/front pipe back on, fluids and set ignition timing.

20131224_164441.jpg

In other news I bought a Z32 AFM off a member on here in preparation for getting a Nistune board installed and tuned (already have a Z32 ECU). I will also be purchasing some side feed Deatschwerks 550cc injectors and DW200 fuel pump.

I've pre-ordered some Gktech V3 rear adjustable camber and toe arms, and I'm eagerly awaiting for them to develop adjustable front camber arms, which I've been told is happening soon. I also spoke to Josh at MCA again and he reckons the Blue series coilovers for R32 aren't too far away so I'll wait another month and if nothing happens I'll probably go for the BC's.

Also bought a couple of 'dress up' items (socks and gear knob).

20131224_164517.jpg

20131224_121216.jpg

Anyway, enough writing, Merry Christmas! :)

mate your lucky you get to work on your car like that. id kill to have room to do that to my car.. being in a uni house i cant "use" the garage for anything but parking :verymad:

all in all thats a great build so far, love the front end work yous have put into it, it looks a charm. also are you still running a standard turbo? if so how much more responsive did it make your turbo? when i got mine chopped and faced forward on my old r32 it made a heck off a difference mind you i was running large turbo for an rb20.

keep up the awesome work mate will be watching and waiting for more! :cheers:

Thanks for the kind words mate :)

Its not much but its definitely better than working out on the gravel driveway like I used to do.

Yeah still standard RB25 turbo, going to see what I can get out of it first before upgrading. To be honest it was so long since driving it that I couldn't really tell if there's much of an improvement in response, as well as I've only really had about 10min of spirited driving most of which was spent with one eye on the gauges. So I guess it would only be a minor improvement, I wasn't really expecting any huge gains though.

Nah I haven't put much thought into it yet, I want to learn to drive it properly and get it handling well before seeking more power, but maybe 250 - 280kw later down the track, I know I'd be more interested in responsive power than a big power figure.

Yeah I've considered a high flow I'll have to look into it a bit more.

Small update, finished putting it back together today and filled with fluids, started pretty easily and initial signs are good, no oil leaks, but I won't know for sure until I reach max oil pressure which will hopefully happen in a few weeks when I take it to Baskerville for another test run.

Awesome thanks for the feedback. Do you know what power they are rated to?

Another small update, I gave it a good drive today and revved it right out to limiter in 2nd and all seemed good. Oil pressure reached ~95psi and dropped off at limiter, standard should be about ~80psi at 6000rpm but using a standard oil pump with shimmed pressure relief valve hence the higher pressure. At least the oil pump gasket seems to be holding up ok so far!

Sounds the goods mate. would be good to have it run in again.

Ive heared some are rated too 240kw-270kw but also there are people(in the 25det dyno thread) running them well up to 300kw.. I guess it depends on your supporting mods and how far your willingness to push it

• 4 weeks later...

Well finally some decent progress...firstly I've bought some new wheels, these are going to be for when its registered to use on the street, because they are way too heavy for anything else haha. They're Dynamic D-hole 17 x 8" +15, there was also a 17 x 9" +10 which in hindsight I wish I had gone for, but too late now. These won't be to everyone's taste, and I admit they don't look that great on the car as it sits at the moment, but I have a few plans cosmetically (namely, get it painted all one colour!) and it should all tie in nicely when complete.

20140113_192747.jpg

Next, I added some heat tape around the exhaust opening in the rear bar as the exhaust touches the rear bar as its slightly bent, this was just a band aid fix and it didn't work as well as I was hoping. The tape is not suitable for direct heat contact.

20140114_141355.jpg

20140114_142007.jpg

Then I got around to fitting the Velo wheel I bought ages ago at WTAC, I had been waiting quite a long time to receive a HICAS compatible boss kit from RHD. You can see in one of the photo's why a HICAS compatible kit was needed. I know you can remove that 'thing' but then I would have to cut plugs and rewire the horn and I couldn't be bothered hah.

20140115_133145.jpg

20140115_143351.jpg

And the interior complete (in track form).

20140115_163510.jpg

Then I took it back to the auto electrician to have the 14pin consult port wired to the ECU so I could connect to ECUTalk to make life a little easier, and also for when I get a Nistune board installed. I'm just using an eBay spec consult cable, seems to do the job fine.

20140124_170731.jpg

Don't worry that's not what my ignition timing is set at, the car wasn't running when I took the photo haha.

20140124_170630.jpg

And finally I got it back out on the track today! The engine feels solid and ran great, no more oil or coolant leaks, apart from boiling powersteering fluid :/ At first I just ran it at actuator pressure (7psi) and when I was satisfied everything was ok I fitted the boost T and turned it up to about 10psi, the car felt much better/easier to drive after this (as you'd expect). AFRs were good for most of the day until the fuel pump started to fail so I called it a day. Best time for the day was 68.77 sec, which is about equal to my previous best time in the old chassis.

1012558_728722820473659_246639121_n.jpg

Plans are now to fit a new fuel pump, I have a DW200 pump already on its way, and fit a powersteering cooler. Then take it for another run and up the boost some more. Then finally get the car back to street form and get it mod plated/registered.

I have also bought Tony's (blah_blah) Hypergear SS2 turbo, but that won't be going on till after the car is registered.

Would like to enter a Supersprint event or something similar if possible before it goes back to street form as well.

Thanks for reading! Any suggestions, throw them at me :)

• Like 1

Nice build mate, unfortunate about the old chassis!

If you are planning on doing more drift and sprint events I highly recommend getting an accusump and plumbing that up. It is a good budget solution for oil surging issues which you may end up having later on down the track as you get faster and faster.

Love the inlet manifold too, that is very nicely done.

ahh so your the one who bought his turbo haha i had my eye on that bad boy. good buy mate, money well spent. once you put it on youl be happy you got it

top work as always man. good to see the car is coming back together with promising results

Nice build mate, unfortunate about the old chassis!

If you are planning on doing more drift and sprint events I highly recommend getting an accusump and plumbing that up. It is a good budget solution for oil surging issues which you may end up having later on down the track as you get faster and faster.

Love the inlet manifold too, that is very nicely done.

Thanks mate! Yeah I have considered an accusump, they look like a good bit of gear. I'm going to see how I go with the just the baffled sump first as I think this should be sufficient.

ahh so your the one who bought his turbo haha i had my eye on that bad boy. good buy mate, money well spent. once you put it on youl be happy you got it

top work as always man. good to see the car is coming back together with promising results

Haha yeah, you got me thinking when you mentioned high flows, then that showed up for sale and I couldn't pass it up.

Can anyone suggest options for a power steering cooler as I'm struggling? This one would be ideal but they only make them with retarded inlet/outlet sizes, I need 3/8" in/out. http://derale.com/products/coolers/power-steering/series-7000-tube-fin2013-10-28-09-53-271671358447/16-high-output-curved-blade-electric-puller-fan-detail I don't want a big cooler as it would be overkill and just get in the way.

Also, the postman was very kind to me today!! :) I didn't even realised the DW parts had been posted haha. Perfect timing considering fuel pump started to fail yesterday! I've already mentioned it but its a DW200 pump and DW 550cc sidefeed injectors (direct drop into standard rail).

20140131_140325.jpg

Edited by Bushy

Still looking for ideas on power steering cooler.

I installed the new fuel pump last night, turns out the one that failed was a Bosch 040 in tank pump, check out the difference in size between old and new!

Hpost-87836-1391337644202_thumb.jpg

I hadn't done a fuel pump instal before but it was relatively straight forward, no issues really, I have already noticed a difference in fuel pressure at idle, I haven't driven it yet though. The DW200 kit included the following:

post-87836-13913379712241_thumb.jpg