SAU Community

Neo Head Or Not?

Ben C34

Update time. Had a two week windrow whee I could borrow a car, decided on using neo head and a good running bottom End. slapped together and tuned 305rwkw at just over 5000 rpm. heaps of torque and awesome on the street. Car now really stalls to 2500 so that will help alot. Currently at AIR waiting, about to run it down the strip. So to recap only mod is rb30 bottom end compared to last time running 12.7 at 114.4 with a 2.1 60ft. Will update later.

sweet as, sounds unreal, how did it all fit with stocky manifolds?, have to change anything or lower motor at all?

Can't wait to see how you go at drags , it has a low 12 in it if you get that 60' down.

cheers

darren

Does anyone know whether the neo head coilpack harness will work with the rb25 s2 coilpacks?

Thanks

should do, pretty sure the plug setup is the same for s2 & neo coils

(just check the symbols near the plug for wiring)

Ok, to update again.

Engine went in no worries, I didn't slot the mounts at all. I currently dont have the strut brace on, as it touches on the joiner on the crossover pipe. I think if i use a non TCT throttle body it might clear, or I could space the strut brace up a touch or slot mounts, but honestly at this point I cant be bothered for a bit.

The result at the drags was good. The only thing changed was the bottom end.

Same crappy HYFLY 225 tyres and still with bike rack on roof!

Result was a 1.95 60ft (wow!) with a 12.5 at 108 mph.

Mph heaps lower due to power falling off, im not running much timing up top and think cams might need checking, and turbo would be restrictive now, but at the end of the day, its my daily car, and very soon to be family wagon, so Im not chasing max power. Played around shifting to 4th but didnt make much difference as that shift is kinda slow, so any gain is cancelled by the slow shift.

The car absolutely hammers on the street and is awesome to drive.

Next on the cards is E85 and crank some more preload onto actuator to try and hold boost and see what it can manage, but that probaly will be in a few months, need to sort out some better brakes.

• 3 months later...

any updates on this?

No, other than its running sweet and getting used daily.

Baby girl was born in september and has been the priority, but have still managed to tinker with the car (brakes, stereo, tidy wiring etc) but nothing major worth reporting.

I have bought an Aquamist water injection kit, as Im not 100percent keen on e85 due to availability around me (sa is really lacking e85)

Hopefully can get that sorted and tuned in the next few months.

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

I used the stock pump, shimmed to bump up the pressure.

I blocked one oil feed to the head, which makes it flow nearly identical amount of oil as a neo block, as the neo block had 2 1.5 feeds and the rb30 has 2 2mm.(based on surface area 1 2mm works out very close to 2 1.5 holes)

Normal external vct feed, as per pdf.

Theres no real trick with the neo head, the main difference is the smaller combustion chamber which will result in higher comp than a non neo head, which is what you want.

stock 30e pump.

Shimmed with a washer or two, cant remember but I had a target thickness. I think Simon-s14 helped me out there, he is also using a shimmed rb30e pump (26 head) in a drift car. Maybe ask him if he remembers.

Never actually checked oil pressure though....