SAU Community

V36 Tyres?

The tyre sizes are front 225/50 18 and 245/45 18 rear, I've been trying to decide between Michelin pilot super sport and the more affordable Kumho ku22.

Budget wins out on this one Kumho's it is.

How much are the KU22 for a set of 4?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Stormie,

Probably a bit late but if it helps....I had the same problem. Looked around at a lot of tyres (considered the Yokohama's 'cos they are OEM on the 370Z but couldn't get a reasonable price) but finally went with a newer offering from Falken, the PT722. I had not thought about that brand as my impression was just cheap passenger car crap, but these are actually pretty good tyres. I went up a size so 235/50-18 on the front and 255/45's on the rear and walked out with change from a grand!

And don't get caught up in the bullshit about speed rating - at 180Kph that's it, so why pay through the nose for a Z rated tyre?

The Falken's probably don't have the same level of adhesion as say a Continental tyre, but they do have a lot of feel when pushing the car hard.

For the price not a bad deal.

Because there is more to the speed rating of a tyre than the actual top speed that the car will go.

Its more about tyre construction, and torque handing characteristics of the tyre.

Not to mention voiding your insurance...

In SA (and I think other states are similar) the law says:

"The speed rating of the tyres fitted to a passenger vehicle must be at least 180 km/h ('S') when the tyre placard requires a higher speed rating than 'S', for all other vehicles a speed rating of at least 120 km/h applies ('L')."

So putting S rated tyres on any car won't void the insurance, nor is it illegal. In my opinion, if a tyre is rated to 180 kph (and you can bet there is a decent safety margin - the tyre won't explode at 181 kph), and I'm not using it on a track, I believe that the tyre construction & torque handling characteristics will be more than sufficient for our nanny-state speed limits.

Agree with you GeeDod.

The PT722's are rated V so 240Kph should handle it.

I understand that the higher the rating the better a tyre [should] be, but you would like to think that a modern tyre of this size and profile would provide the expected quality.

My point was more to the significant jump in price when you spec W or Z tyres when realistically most of us wouldn't push quite to the limits where we would notice the difference.

370GT SP has 19in wheels as std

370GT SP has 19in wheels as std

I think wogboy is bang on the money. I was going to say the same, and surprised nobody else has mentioned it. Each and every one of the 4 sp's my mates and I have brought out had 19" wheels.

So either;

1. It's not an sp model.....sorry

2. It's an sp with de-specced wheels.....sorry

3. I'm misinformed....in which case, I'm sorry