SAU Community

Error Code Help

A bit of background first.

I have recently done a DIY minor service, cleaned the throttle body and installed a SxExCx grounding kit and since then the Check Engine Light (C.E.L) display constantly while driving. And when the car is given the beans, the VCD and SLIP lights come on and stay on; only on occasions, not every time which was odd.

The car drives perfectly, no misses or leaks, gear shifts are great. It actually feels heaps better since the service/clean/grounding kit. So it is very odd.

Please also note, I performed the ECU reset and could not clear the C.E.L.

So today I had my car scanned and I got back 4 error codes.

ENGINE: ign signal primary

ABS: abnormal batt voltage

ABS: engine signal 1

CVT-TRANS: starter relay circ.

The codes were deleted/reset but the engine/slip/VCD light came back on while driving home. I will be taking the car back for another scan and a better look into any of the problems.

Does anyone know what would be causing these problems and how to fix them? Any advice would be great.

Cheers,

All those codes may have been there for a while, I would check the new error, getting the code number once it's scanned and plug it in to google. Was it a local Mech you went to?

Nissan's Consult3 units give a much more detailed description of faults (sometimes) and it can be worth taking it to Nissan for a scan, but at $150-200 it isn't cheap. The Chinese Consult3 knockoff I use works well on all the ecu's in the car, I also have the Osirus cable which gives good descriptions of engine codes. Other units can be hit and miss, and it would depend if the mech updated the unit with later Japanese protocols.

The slip light could be caused by mismatched tyre sizing also I think. So all three lamps come on together?

My brothers a mechanic, and he scanned it at his work. They had a brand new scanner that had the option for Infiniti so figured it would work.

He said some of the codes could have been old. Will find out tonight what the outcome of the rescan is.

If the codes re-occur, I would be tempted to disconnect the grounding kit and see how it goes, since they seem to be voltage related issues. Also check you didn't leave any factory ground disconnected.

I have my grounding kit going on the tbs to negative terminal and also engine block n terminal n chassis. My tbs are more responsive and easier to drive. Pretty sure it isn't only me who thinks the grounding kit works

Thanks for the input guys.

So the rescan came up with the same 4 codes. It points to a voltage issue which could stem from the grounding kit supplying higher voltage which the ECU cant deal with so the engine light comes on. Its not doing any harm to the car, its just an annoyance. So I will be disconnecting the grounding kit to see if it solves the problem.

It would be a shame as I have noticed a difference since putting it on. Its marginal but know how the car felt and drove before and after, its not just a placebo. The factory grounding is weak, just one connection from the battery to the chassis and then a couple from the chassis to certain components. Adding this grounding kit to have connections from the battery to the engine and from there to other point and the trans has to be better right.

Grounding kits aren't necessilary bad, but they need to be designed properly. If someone just throws a kit together without much thought, you can end up with earth loops which will cause all kinds of voltage/sensor related issues.

From what I have heard, the grounding kits can help a bit with auto transmission shifts. But you would be much better off cleaning the factory grounds and invest in a shift kit for the transmission.