SAU Community

250Rwkw+ Rb25Det Journey, Turbo Options And Setup Opinions?

Hi Guys,

I'm new to site, I've had a bit of a look around and can't seem to find the complete answers on most of the posts.

I have a 1993 S1 R33 skyline running a pretty much stock rb25det

Right, so my idea is that I'm after 250rwkw+, anything on or over that, I'll be pretty happy with.

As I said the engine is pretty much stock. Only mods it has are:
Splitfire coil packs

Heavy duty clutch

3" exhaust

I have on the way a front mount intercooler and a triple core aluminium radiator and I also have a Power FC

My plan was to help me get to 250rwkw+, I would run a setup similar to this:

Power FC

Front Mount 600x300x76

Aftermarket radiator

Split fire coils

HD clutch

3" exhaust

Deatschwerks 555cc injectors

Bosch 040 fuel pump

Standard Motor
Standard Cams

Standard intake and exhaust manifold

and of course a bigger turbo

I'm trying to be on the tightest budget possible at the moment without doing anything completely dodgy and cutting too many drastic corners.

To any who have or are planning to go down a similar path, what do you think this set up will be like and what other things can I do to make it a more successful setup?

Also with the turbo, I'm after opinions from people on their experiences with different turbo's. I'm after something that isn't going to lag heaps but will spool up around 3-3.5 and pull right through to 7.
Something with some good torque that will throw you back in your seat but will keep pulling hard until limiter.

Pretty much I'm after the right turbo to complete to combination and get the best results. After the best bang for my buck.

The right combination is obviously going to give me the best result so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for so many questions in one post just after the right info.

Thanks everyone in advance,

Ryan :)

Edited by r33ryan

Hiflow your standard turbo. Hypergear is probably you'd best option. Although if you can find a HKS gtrs or 2535 there fairly good options for 250kw. With the deatchworks 555cc injectors why not go slightly larger? Like 740cc's or I'm sure deatchworks even do a 1000cc option in side feed stock fitment. Although I'd ditch the the side feed option and go top feed rail with ID1000's. Are you going to run e85? If that's not available I'd run water/meth. You'll yield more power and have less chance of damaging the engine. You'll also need to replace the stock rubber turbo inlet pipe with a metal one as the factory pipe tends to start sucking closed up around the 220kw atw's power +.

Cheers Josh

Yeah hi flowing thw standard turbo did cross my mind bit why pay $1500 to make the standard tuebo better. I mean yeah i think on average 240-250kw is found at around 18-20psi with the hi flow but i could get something else for that price or a little more and possibly see over 260rwkw.

I was thinking something like a gt3037 or something like that. Theyre the same price as the hi flow and could possibly yield better results in the end.

The reason i was only going 555cc injectors is because I am using the car as a daily so im after not great fuel efficiency but a reasonable fuel efficiency. Just trying to find the happy medium pretty much. Good horsepower without the really really crap fuel efficiency.

Cheers

Ryan

Injector size has nothing to do with fuel economy mate :) Ive got an evo 9 and when it was 100% stock was getting around 350-400km outta a tank im now using E85 with ID2000's and fuel economy is around 320-350km to a tank.

Obviously the extra fuel usage is cos of the ethanol and extra 120kw lol!

Buy a hypergear ss1pu it will make 250rwkw's easy I am just under 300kw's on it and climbing.

Get bigger injectors as when you get to 250 you will want more buy 660's or 740's otherwise you will kick yourself later for having to upgrade them again.

make sure your exhaust is full 3" not just a catback, get a quality cat converter too.

Injector size has nothing to do with fuel economy mate :) Ive got an evo 9 and when it was 100% stock was getting around 350-400km outta a tank im now using E85 with ID2000's and fuel economy is around 320-350km to a tank.

What a nugget :ph34r:

extra 120 killerwasps?

I wasnt claiming 120kw just by swapping fuels that was from stock to where it is now! So relax before you all try flaming me lol! My whole point was about fuel economy :)

Lol yes its still a stock turbo nugget Matty :(

250 rwkw is not hard or really that expensive, shop around for a second hand highflow turbo, a decent front mount, 3 inch exhaust, 850cc injectors, 044 external pump or 040 internal pump, z32 afm, nisstune or apexi pfc and u will hit over 250 rwkw EASY.

guesstimation on prices

turbo $400 to $800

Injectors $300 - $500

fuel pump $100 - $150

exhaust $200 - $400

Front mount $150 - $300

z32 $120 - $200

ECU $350 - $700

Tune $600 - $1000

All up $2200 to $4000 and would only cost you $4000 if you just didn't shop around properly.

My 33 drift car netted 280RWKW with the GCG XTR S1 turbo, jecs 850cc injectors, 044 pump, z32 AFM, Apexi PFC, hybrid front mount, no name 3 inch exhaust and an E85 tune from Garage7.running 19psi

All up cost to me was : second hand GCG $700, NEW injectors $550, Z32 $110, 044 pump $120, Hybrid cooler with piping $200, APEXi PFC $700, free exhaust and $600 for the tune. All up was just under $3000, and I didn't really shop around, just grabbed the items when I saw them for sale.

Something worth considering is the dollars spent to support 250kw.

The same or similar supporting mods can support 300kw+

e.g. Apexi PFC, z32, FMIC, Exhaust, upgraded injectors,and fuel pump etc.

Your turbo choice will be the biggest determining factor. Notwithstanding the mods above, the other is fuel choice i.e. 98 vs. e85 with the appropriate tune.

I found it very helpful worth investing the time to take a look at Dyno Thread.

You may notice a pattern of the turbo selection and fuel choice for those making 180-220, 230-70, 280-330 and so on.

See if they meet the 'response' your after at the chosen power level. I would argue pegging your power level a little higher at say 270KW+ and put those supporting mods to work.

Admittedly I went too big for my setup for my original power level of 260. So I went 300.

I wasnt claiming 120kw just by swapping fuels that was from stock to where it is now! So relax before you all try flaming me lol! My whole point was about fuel economy :)

Lol yes its still a stock turbo nugget Matty :(

Buy Alex's FP Black :ph34r:

You coming today my man?

Cheers for all of the replies guys.
Had a bit of a look through the dyno thread.

I reckon I will be running bp ultimate or shell vortex for the dyno, but I usually run 98 anyway.

I had a thought about running a gt3076r or hks 3037. Both pretty much the same i'm sure, both turbos are good for around or a tad over 500HP which isn't too bad at all.

I'll most likely go with what most of you said and not limit myself too much on the injectors so I might go larger, something like the 740cc injectors. Just so I'm not maxing out the 550's.

Also I reckon I will be going an 044 external with a surge tank rather than maixing out the 040 intank. From what I could find, 040's are good for 250-270kw which is what I'm after, but a 044 might benefit me in the long run if I decide to keep going up.

Cheers Jim for reassurance of buying second hand, it was an idea in the back of my mind but I just wasn't 100% sure on whether I really should or not.
I've found a gt3076r for $1000 so I might possibly look into that.

• Like 1

Cheers for all of the replies guys.

Had a bit of a look through the dyno thread.

I reckon I will be running bp ultimate or shell vortex for the dyno, but I usually run 98 anyway.

I had a thought about running a gt3076r or hks 3037. Both pretty much the same i'm sure, both turbos are good for around or a tad over 500HP which isn't too bad at all.

I'll most likely go with what most of you said and not limit myself too much on the injectors so I might go larger, something like the 740cc injectors. Just so I'm not maxing out the 550's.

Also I reckon I will be going an 044 external with a surge tank rather than maixing out the 040 intank. From what I could find, 040's are good for 250-270kw which is what I'm after, but a 044 might benefit me in the long run if I decide to keep going up.

Cheers Jim for reassurance of buying second hand, it was an idea in the back of my mind but I just wasn't 100% sure on whether I really should or not.

I've found a gt3076r for $1000 so I might possibly look into that.

500hp at the engine maybe but on pump fuel you will be in the 400-430 region at the wheels.

As for the 044, my single maxed out at 350rwkw (I think that is 470hp maybe or close enough).