SAU Community

Intercoolers - 500Rwk+

Hi Guys,

I need an intercooler for my SR22VET. Has to support 500rwk+, will realistically make and be run on 450rwk. Ideally want a tube and fin core as I most likely will run it 'inbay' with the radiator directly behind. It will need to be 4" (90mm or 100mm).

So far the options lead to Plazmaman but they are around $1700 and if I have no option I will run one of these.

Want to know what other options might be available and what you guys are running for these power levels. So what is out there, what are you running, where did you buy it and how much was it?

Cheers,

John

China 4' core tube and fin with 3' ends making 550rwkw.

999 automotive $250 :)

Your kidding!!!

I take it this is on your car? Its not providing any restriction at all? Have you measured intake temps to check cooler efficiency?

BTW out of curiosity, where you out on a cruise last night with a few big powered cars?

Edited by SRS13

Your kidding!!!

I take it this is on your car? Its not providing any restriction at all? Have you measured intake temps to check cooler efficiency?

BTW out of curiosity, where you out on a cruise last night with a few big powered cars?

LOL yes I was. How mad was it? :)

LOL yes I was. How mad was it? :)

I wasn't there unfortunately... but I saw some footage of you and Ninos :thumbsup:

So your car is tuned at JEM and made 550rwk. No issues with the cooler at all? Did Adam make any comment about the intake temps or the cooler efficiency?

Thanks FATZ, but dont think I need the twin entry lol!

Edited by SRS13

As Dave said, get a reasonable 'china' cooler and start from there.

Otherwise, get a decent am gtr cooler and stuff it in the nose.

That's what I'm going to do. If it works, fantastic, if it doesn't, I'll just get a better one. I think the cost saving potential justifies the gamble in this case.

I don't know about you, but i'd prefer not to do stuff twice, potentially wasting time and money on a gamble. At the end of the day, you're building a bulldog of an SR. 500 rwkw is a crapload of grunt. ARC M109 (105 mm core) and make it fit into the front end of I assume the S chassis you're running.

• Like 1

I don't know about you, but i'd prefer not to do stuff twice, potentially wasting time and money on a gamble. At the end of the day, you're building a bulldog of an SR. 500 rwkw is a crapload of grunt. ARC M109 (105 mm core) and make it fit into the front end of I assume the S chassis you're running.

I hear you loud and clear and trust me I have thought about it long and hard. It's a lot of money for what it is, hence this thread to see I there are other options.

Would you believe I was going to buy an ARC tube and fin intercooler 100mm and missed out on it at the last minute. it sold for $895 brand new. Was quite peeved to miss that.

Realistically it will be run at 450rwk but might get turned up more for drag events.

John, you of all people should know from Ninos's car the differences in power from his Chinese core to the Plazmaman 4" unit that is on it!

A 45kW gain at the wheels from nothing by an intercooler change, when I saw the result difference on the dyno I admit, I didn't believe it for a second. But when he went out and backed it up going from 140mph trap speeds to almost 147mph on the same boost, I have nothing but faith. Intake temps dropped by more than 25C.

I know that you want the most out of this setup so I will definitely say that a Chinese intercooler is money down the drain, as Piggaz said, you've spent an absolute bucket load on everything else for the best parts, it's like anything, you get what you pay for.

Another option would be for you to use something in their 3" range like BCH-10R, it makes 450kW comfortably with good air temps for nearly half the price, or any of the old Trust/HKS 4" coolers are good too if you can find a good second handie.

Edited by PJ.

Yes of course and that's why I'm so unsure on it. Your absolutely right, I've seen the results first hand and should not even risk it. I just wanted to see what options there were out there that perhaps could have been more cost effective.

Some of the results with the cheaper intercoolers ie NYTSKY are what is making me think twice.

In any case I'll think about it and make a decision closer to the date.