SAU Community

Massive Fuel Surge

poohkies

As above, seems when ever I'm having fun I get fuel surge even with half a tank of fuel. Has anyone installed a surge tank to the stagea's, I only suffer this when right hand down I'm yet to try left hand down

As above, seems when ever I'm having fun I get fuel surge even with half a tank of fuel. Has anyone installed a surge tank to the stagea's, I only suffer this when right hand down I'm yet to try left hand down

What do you mean by fuel surge? Are you losing power? I have a surge tank as it happens but never suffered from " fuel surge " before I installed it (or after). A surge tank is only necessary when you are tracking it with a near empty tank. I would say you have another problem. Changed your fuel filter lately or perhaps your pump is on the way out?!

Having said that your pickup is on the rhs so it is logical that the pickup is more likely to be exposed when turning right. Maybe your pump has not been installed correctly and the arm with the sock is not flat on the floor of the tank.

Are you running stock pump still ??

Surge tanks are insurance policy ,not just when tank is near empty but at any stage. By the looks of it you like having fun in the stag, I'd be checking filters including sock filter on pump and while you got it out change the pump to a deutchwerks Intank or walbro and give it a direct battery feed so 12v+ switched of course ,and if ya looking to mod in the future chuck a surge and external pump on when ya do :)

How did u get ur 260 to do a skid, i would say ur problem lays there. Ghetto wiring, and a shit fuel filter all add to the drama.

Tunes, cooler pipe leak, the list is endless untill you corner where the problem is.

mmmm guys I'm very well away of doing things properly, and I am able to diagnose fuel surge! I was more interested in if people suffered from it and what they needed to do to fix it, where and how the installed a surge tank,

I also competed in a motorkhana and experience the same problem with right hand down (so it's obviously a problem with fuel to the pick up)

and it's very easy to do burnouts in a stagea. Drive in at 40 , clutch in handbrake side step hold on!

How did u get ur 260 to do a skid, i would say ur problem lays there. Ghetto wiring, and a shit fuel filter all add to the drama.

Tunes, cooler pipe leak, the list is endless untill you corner where the problem is.

Ghetto wiring lol

Well here's my surge tank but I don't suggest you copy it. As its in a station wagon there is no boot compartment. I have made a metal cover which has sound absorbing material inside and outside but my Bosch 044 is still very noisy. If I were to do it again I would either put the surge tank under the body in front of the petrol tank or preferably get a tank made up with a home for the fuel pump(s) built below tank level so its all in one and you don't need a lift pump.

Fuelsupply02.jpg

fuelpumpcover001.jpg

where and how they installed a surge tank,

getto wiring, you guys are muppets! so before you make you stupid comments, not all people do dodgy's and some people can drive in a small area and whip donuts in 4wd with no problems, especially in a massive fridge.

In saying that towards the end the 4wd light came on, which obviously stop putting power to the front wheels believe it was from when the car got fuel surge. waited turned the car off at the end, turned it on again and it's been fine since

that doesn't show the roll in , but as you can see before the surge it was spinning as it would in 4wd

Thanks KiwiRS4T that's a start for me to have a look and work out where to go! I was going to look at in rear drivers side compartment, see if there is enough room around the atessa pump, see if could get a surge tank made to fit in there. or in the spare tyre area, get something fab in there, but like you said, main concern is it's a family car (Children in it regularly) that if we have a rear car accident I wouldnt want that to well you know what im saying.

Regards

I can see this car going bang soon ! You can fit a small surge behind petrol tank at the back very neatly. Still looks like your only rwd in the skid as you stop and start doing donuts from a stationary start or was that when your your 4wd light was on ? Grab your self a tcs controller and you can manually dial in ya front and rear split and save ya altessa system .

• Like 1