SAU Community

R33 Gts-T Head Rebuild Question

Hey guys,

Been watching these forums for the last year or so and have learnt a lot from you guys...

I recently had to take my baby off the road because I blew my turbo and a few valve seals (crankcase breather hose got loose and melted on my exhaust)!

I've rebuilt my turbo at GCG and now looking to do some head work - the question I got for you skyline guru's out there - I've got 2 alternatives that I got quotes for..,

1. Head service (general) + port and polish (inc. replacement of valve train - oversized) priced between $1500 - $1800

OR

2. Head service (general) + extra for any part of the valve train that needs to be replaced + tomei 257 poncams priced between $1000 - $1300.

Which of the 2 options do you guys recommend I choose? (Unfortunately my budget does not allow me to do both)

Note: my current mods are as follows: microtech ecu, blitz boost controller, GCG highflow stage 2 turbo(rated @ 500hp), front mount intercooler, Bosch in tank fuel pump, jecs high flowed injectors, 3" turbo back exhaust, 100 cell high flow cat, pod filter + an atmospheric bov.

Thanking you guys in advance ;)

Edited by Skud1988

If you are just putting on a high flow and aiming for 260-300rwkw - Just service the head and put the rest of the money in your pocket.

Cost vs gain, you aren't going to see it. Spend money on brakes/suspension/tyres/clutch/diff or otherwise where you'll get far more bang for buck

• Like 1

All I did with my head was get it cleaned up (sand blasted), Valve seats done, new valve guides and seals and cleaned the lifters

Added some Poncams and ready to go

All I did with my head was get it cleaned up (sand blasted), Valve seats done, new valve guides and seals and cleaned the lifters

Added some Poncams and ready to go

If you don't mind answering, what power figures were you getting with that setup?

Engine isnt in the car yet

And that head setup will have little to do with the power figure, Turbo and supporting mods will really do more then basic head re-conditioning. The Cams will help a little but apart from that its all pretty standard

While the head is out though I would just tidy up the exhaust ports. The huge lump around the stud is easy to grind off. how much difference it makes, don't know, but won't hurt it.

• 7 months later...