SAU Community

EOI..Dedicated Drift Track for Sydney

hey b-man

oh course they will want a return on the investment they make. CC_pulsar said it almost perfectly. they are willing to spend the money to create something people will use, only if they can get a return. There is no point building a track that wont be used and therefor not make back the money.

the plan for this is currently being made, and from what i have herd it is long and very detailed, including alot more than just risks and benifits i assure you.

what would you be willing to pay b-man..of course its not going to be $500 :headspin: i dont know numbers but would be intersting to see what everyone thinks is a reasonable price.

i like the idea of a big square skid pad area for the newbies and i think that is included in the plan...but thats great ideas keep em comming

the track design is the most important part (except saftey) and they are wanting as much input as they can get. they are speaking to pro's about it no doubt but i think they would be intersested to hear from the people going to be using it.

are there any people who have been to japan and seen/driven on a purpose build drift track ?? rezz maybe ??

if so , do you have any ideas or things to avoid in the process of designing the track. anything at all

----what do you guys think of a drift shop at the track...would you want a spare parts shop at the track ???

----what about if there was a supply of tyres you could buy at the track and get them fitted to your spare set of rims. Then all you would need is a spare set of rims and you dont have to worry about driving home on bald tyres or running out of rubber to drift with before its time to go home ??

thank guys

obnoxious title ..thats was a bit harsh...anyway

yeah sorry about that i didn't realize how many there were. it was surpose to be a character but came out as squares..oh well

Well the tyre fitter on site is a good idea, that saves everyone having to bring heaps of rims. As for spares its a bit hard unless htey just stick to S13 control arms ;)

If you were going to have a purpose built facility the most important thing is catering to different levels so it is busy more often. So include a skidpan and a changeable course that would suit both low and high speed drift.

And finally, site is easy. Talk to the MG Car club about their ringwood site. They already have a hillclimb there and were looking for investors to make a full race circuit. I'm sure that a funded drift track could either replace or complement the circuit idea.....

Obnoxious thread title fixed BTW

oh thank for getting rid of those squares ..

that would be an excelent idea

i will get into contact with them...

do you you think they would be ok with a drift track...yes it would be prob be interchangable and all ...then again i can't see why not...how often do they use the hill climb ???

hey not that would be somthing to see an MG drifting at D1 haha cool

thank guy

firstly I'm sure they wouldn't say no to a free track, no matter what it looks like. And they will already have experience with their local council's requirements which will save a heap of trouble. But the other option is that a circuit and drift track can be the same thing, particularly if they are designed that way from the start.

The hillclimb track is seperate to the circuit they want....as with all motorsport facilities I'm sure they want to use it as often as possible ;)

BTW I hope the investors understand the scale of this sort of project....something like this from scratch will cost multimillions in site preparation and bitumen.

oh yeah ....like i said before multi millions is ok

money is not the problem to start with ....its just making it back and then continuing with profit each year....which is good news for us who want it...bottom line is if they can see it making money there is no reason why it wont go ahead.

yes track design is like i said extremely important...we are taking ideas from all sorts of different people and places and trying to figure a few designs out

how often you guys individually would go to use it ??

once a week , 2 weeks, month, 3 months etc

i know it will be different for everyone by just post up and let us know

will people drive to port from syd and bris if it was there ? what s the population of port ??

Can't speak for others,but I guess some people would do the drive,and others would consider it too far....Port only has 40,000 odd people,so probably not the best location,bussness wise... I wouldnt mind having a drit track in my home town though! :rofl: nothing else here........

Duncan,that Ringwood site,is that just north of Newcastle? I know they've been trying to get a 1/4 mile built there for a couple of years,but some locals are blocking it! :( :( :(

Newcastle wouldn't be a bad spot,but they couldn't sustain the speedway there,so......dunno

As far as usage goes,it'd depend on how much it was to enter,of course,and also how far I had to travel to get to it,as I dont have much money,so fuel would be a consideration...For eg,if it was in Sydney,I'd be up for $100 in fuel,just to go down and back. :D

I'd like to think if wasnt too far,and a reasonable price,Id try to have at least one "drift day" a month.

the whole idea is get people off the street and preventing them from taking out people's letter boxes....and give them/us a safe place to practice without worrying about hurting other and minimising ythe damage to your car i.e. no guttering will come out of no where and get in your path...damn those gutters...got a mind of their own dont they...

• 2 weeks later...

Although this would be for high speed drift and general track use. I reckon this will be more profitable and sustainable than running a drift park. For example on days when there are no drift comps you could run track days. My favourite would be Ebisu Circuit in japan. Its got the best cobinations of chicanes etc and straights.

For drift only use you'd want a track with as little straights as possible and the most amount of run off, and MOST importantly good vantage viewing spots, as its not the drifters that pay for the event, but the audience... which si a very important consideration.

On the other hand, a pure drift only low speed circuit... like this one

driftland1.jpg

Is also ver viable as its not limited to weather conditions etc. Again a good runoff area would be ideal and you'd want a somewhat good vantage cviewing point, although in this scenario you're drifters will be paying for most of the runnign costs than the people who come to watch, as you can't really hold professional drift events persay. It is however smaller to setup and easier to maintain.

here's some maps (ebisu):

ebisu_minami.gif

Here's a map of Drift Land in japan, which is what is pictured in the photograph above, sufficiently large enough to hold amature drift events...

ebisu_dori.gif

here's another (Ebisu trainigng circuit):

ebisu_school.gif

Here's sports land, a combination drift, track and drag venue:

yamanasi.gif

Mobara circuit

mobara.gif

and okegawa circuit

okegawa.gif

Tsukuba circuit (I dunno if this is really the scale they are looking at lol)

tc1000.gif

Here's a link to Eibisu Circuit's Driftland arrangements

http://www.ebisu-circuit.com/index/drift/drift.htm

another map of Driftland

dori.jpg

This one outlines all the interesting parts of Eibisu including the South Course, the North Course, the Drift land and the driving school

http://www.interq.or.jp/japan/ebisu/cosu/top.htm

More pics of Driftland:

Dsc00595.jpg

Dsc00594.jpg

Dsc00589.JPG

Here's the obligatory skyline at driftland :cheers:

Dsc00585.JPG

That should satisfy you for now ;) Enjoy

I've been playing with approaching an investor to open up an exact copy of driftland for ages, i've got tons of links in my favourites to maps of Ebishu and clubs that use it regularly... mostly in japanese, I can translate if anyone needs help reading some of that.