SAU Community

Deformed Oil Filter, Oil Pressure Too High?

blue_vl_t

for the love of god what is wrong with you people???

Where did I ever say that ryco are bad or do not use ryco or ryco will blow yuor engine up???

What I am supporting is that for an expensive engine, why not give it the better of two options for very little extra cost? especially when the engine has presented a possible issue of deforming an oil filter already...

What makes the K&N better than the Ryco besides the nut at the end of the casing? That's what we're after (well I'm after), justification on why Ryco or Nissan filter should be skipped a more expensive filter be purchased. Are we going off the belief that the more expensive one is better?

What makes the K&N better than the Ryco besides the nut at the end of the casing? That's what we're after (well I'm after), justification on why Ryco or Nissan filter should be skipped a more expensive filter be purchased. Are we going off the belief that the more expensive one is better?

I believe the k&n one has a magnet in it to help stop shavings from going through the motor... Nissan and Ryco don't have this feature.

And how exactly are shavings supposed to go through a paper filter anyway? It's something of a waste of time and money. Once you have shavings in your engine, you already have bigger problems than what filter is in there.

Totally agree with ya but for me that extra 7 dollars is worth the extra security - i get my K&N filter for roughly between $18 - 20. :)

... do a little reaserch.

I'm not getting into something so stupid.

The body of the K+N filter is noticeably heavier gauge, it uses a better Oring seal, the non return valve I suspect is silicone, and the nut on the end is a godsend. I can see where my $18 has gone, compared to the $15 ryco which has obviously cost about 20c to make. Just my opinion, you are welcome to use whatever brand you like...

Not having a go at the K&N fans, but don't always believe the marketing and be sceptical. If the K&N has a better design and construction, better filter element, etc. then that's all great. If they add a magnet and a nut then charge extra $30 for essentially the same thing (or even inferior), is it really worth it?

Not sure if you lot can see this, but on the R31 Skyline club, someone did a comparison of the Ryco and Nissan oil filter. Would be interesting to see the internals of the K&N and other filters.

http://forum.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?topic=103539.msg975257#msg975257

*edit* ahh replies, cheers fellas.

The genuine Nissan filter is still made in Japan and only $13 no?

Nup, grey ones are made in Japan, and are discontinued. Blue ones are now made in Thailand, and are now commonly used. I don't see a problem with using stock filters Japanese or Thai.

Less pressure drop equals less filtration. There's no magic. Same with their shit air filters.

Stick to ryco or Nissan, and don't be surprised if ryco make them for Nissan.

There are 3 x 0.8mm restrictors between the oil pump and turbo on a VQ25det, I am guessing I would be more worried about large particle blockage than you. With finer filtration there is an increased chance of the filter medium blocking between changes, and bypassing all the oil without any filtration.

The K+N air filters are proven performers, and work well to trap dust etc. The only reason they are crap imo is the oil mist they spray onto afm elements, I would have no issue running one on a map sensored car.

Nup, grey ones are made in Japan, and are discontinued. Blue ones are now made in Thailand, and are now commonly used. I don't see a problem with using stock filters Japanese or Thai.

I bought 2 Nissan 15208-H890C gery box with made in japan printed on it, box contains a blue filter, bought 2 weeks ago ???

I bought 2 Nissan 15208-H890C gery box with made in japan printed on it, box contains a blue filter, bought 2 weeks ago ???

Well, might be wrong. Got the info off a Nissan fact mech a year ago or so. Might have changed back since then.

Same with their shit air filters.

Ba ha ha haha ha a... your an iddiot.

KandN air filters are basically industry standard for some industry applications... Anything from aviation through to (many multiples of) million dollar mega-yachts.