SAU Community

Where To Get Skyline Detailed?

TM7GTR

Hi all,

Basically I'm looking for a good place to get the paintwork on my 34 corrected, fairly extensively (not just basic polish job).

The paint has some swirls and holograms that I'd really like to remove asap, before taking the car up to time attack.

If you have had any good or bad experiences with any local business I'd like to hear about it. PM for bad experiences as to not spreading bad rumors over the forums.

Or, If any of you are whizzes with car detailing and you have all the appropriate equipment, maybe we can work something out there :thumbsup: Post pics of your previous work.

(Yes I used the search function, looking for up to date info)

Cheers

Personally had good experience with the guys from Kim's in Belco, as a weekend cash job....

Though I wouldn't recommend taking the car ANYWHERE unless it's got an aftermarket ECU that you can drop the RPM and perhaps boost limits right down, so whomever's hands you leave it in for the day CANNOT take it for a thrash.

• Like 1

Personally had good experience with the guys from Kim's in Belco, as a weekend cash job....

Though I wouldn't recommend taking the car ANYWHERE unless it's got an aftermarket ECU that you can drop the RPM and perhaps boost limits right down, so whomever's hands you leave it in for the day CANNOT take it for a thrash.

Ooh thats scary.

I would never risk that.

D I Y :yes:

Carcareproducts .com.au. Cheap and local (aus), good service too.

Im going to paint my car this summer, so i got a big box of stuff: massive selection of cloths, polishes, clay bar kit, DA and 7 different pads for it, and other sprays n stuff.

No ive never done it before, but thats what youtube is good for, expert advice.

I would love to do it myself, but I really don't have the time at the moment considering it needs to be done in 10 days time...

Jeremy and Troy, what was the quality of the finish like? No swirls or holograms whatsoever?

I'd say Fuller brothers won't touch it unless they paint something too haha.

Edited by TM7GTR

They made my paint look brand new, better than any car I've ever seen outside of a showroom. Anyone who ever got to see the paint on my 33's roof and boot lid will know that's some serious work lol...though unfortunately it didn't last (of course).

Kim's normally do show cars on weekends as well. Their weekend jobs are cash jobs

All on the books of course :whistling:

But yeah, short answer: Kim's work was amazing, however I'd still never trust anyone with my car (well, when I had the 33) short of a mechanic who deals with performance cars every day.

I'm fairly sure in the entire time I owned my 33, the only people who took it for a drive that I know of were Paul from Autotech and Chris from Inline. Glenn/boys from ESP may have when it was being tuned etc, but yeah...I hate the idea of anyone driving my car, especially when it hasn't had bitch-limits put on the ECU :P

The issue with most detailing places is the firs thing they do is take a mild cut and polish to your car. RUINS your paint.

For swirls:

1. Wash the car with a good product (meguairs is what i use)

2. Clay bar the entire thing with a meguairs clay bar kit (VERY easy to use)

3. Wax

4??? Profit.

Honestly that's all it needs. If you have swirls it means that either:

1. you have dirt in your paint that a wash isn't getting out

2. OR someone has taken a machine cut and polish to it already.

Either way a clay bar+Wax will get rid of it.

It took me about 4 hours to wash, clay bar and wax the GTR two weekends ago. I recommend taking the time out and doing it yourself.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Anfanee

All on the books of course :whistling:

But yeah, short answer: Kim's work was amazing, however I'd still never trust anyone with my car (well, when I had the 33) short of a mechanic who deals with performance cars every day.

I'm fairly sure in the entire time I owned my 33, the only people who took it for a drive that I know of were Paul from Autotech and Chris from Inline. Glenn/boys from ESP may have when it was being tuned etc, but yeah...I hate the idea of anyone driving my car, especially when it hasn't had bitch-limits put on the ECU :P

Haha always on the books ! Weekend rates ! :wub:

Seriously though those swirls are ALWAYS there. Doesn't matter if its a porsche with their magnetic paint or a old datto. The reason you can now see them is minute bits of dirt have become stuck in them. The clay bar will lift the dirt out of those swirls and the wax will seal it off.

DON'T get a detailer to take a "detail" to your car. Like i said, all they do is take a mild cut and polish and remove the top few layers of clear coat. Then you have all kinds of issues; milking, spotting, fading, peeling of the paint. This then becomes MUCH harder to keep looking nice (Ask Troy about this one).

Clay bar+Wax. Look after your paint and it will look after you.

I'm sure a detailing company knows how to detail :S It's kinda what their profession is haha

Share your concerns with the detailer etc Kim's does showcars and I'm sure those owners wouldn't be too happy for a dodgy detail.

The best thing you can do is express your concerns - if you're really anal about other people touching your car then just do what Anthony suggested and do it yourself - but know what you're doing beforehand (Not saying you don't know what to do haha).

Anyways, I'm sure you'll sort it out :D

It's not dodgy Jeremy it's just common practice. It's faster and easier than doing a full clay bar detail (and it looks good for the first few weeks you get the car back so people are happy). That's what they do. They take a mild buff to the car. They will openly tell you that's what they do lol.

If you pay someone to do a full hand detail expect to pay big money.

And I'm sure he put in a decent amount of effort to do it haha...but only for a small patch, and alas as you said it would need to be waxed afterwards to keep it that way for more than a couple of weeks....and even then, the wax coat would need to be maintained :(

Yeah because you had no clear coat left. Hence why i said Troy knows how much effort is required to maintain a car that has no clear coat left.

Anyway seriously.

Clay bar+Wax.
the clay bar will get rid of the swirls.

And wax it every month or so. And you will NEVER have to take a cut and polish to it ever again.

My 32 is painted gold (bought like that) and it looks like a good paint job, other than they didn't tape it up very good. (A lot of spray)

Whoever looked after the paintwork did a really bad job... If it ever was looked after.

I'm using it as my test to cut & polish, but will be going through a couple of YouTube vids so I'm not completely hopeless.

I'll chuck some before & after pics WHEN I do the deed.

Only doing this because I will be getting a respray in the future.. Still tossing up between a darker gold or white..

Edited by ZRBE