SAU Community

Tires Fitted, Where To Buy

GH05T

hi all

i need to buy some new tires for the stag daily

most probably 245/40/18

where do you guys recomend as far as buying and fitting?

i would prefer to buy them and have them fitted at one place but if their is for instance an internet based cheap as hell place then i will do that

i have been looking at a few options/prices so far

Falken 453 $279 each

continental (forget which) $249 eash

Bridgestone RE002 $267 each

Khumo KU31 $160 ish each

im open to brands and opinions if one is available for great prices,

do we have an SAU tire guy?

also if someone is selling good tires in this size pm me

im no northern subburbs SA

Edited by GH05T

I just bought another set of KU31's for my 32R off ebay. SellerID: INT-TT

These were 235/45/17's at ~$100 per tire ~$10 each for delivery.

However 245/40/18 would probably be significantly more.

Mind you your also going to have to front a cost to have the tires fitted. This cost me around $40 from tyre power at parahills.

All up around ~$480 for the full set fitted and balanced, which isnt bad.

yeah not too bad,

my problem is im not sure what price increase is worth the dollars,

for instance im looking at things like achillies for cheap vs a bit more for khumo which i think is worth it, but should i spend even more and get the bridgestones?

am i getting a huge ammount more for my money or am i just getting the next tire in the line.

If you are only going to be driving on the street than I would highly recommend RE001's from Bridgestones. Slightly expensive but worth it in my opinion. I have KU 36's on the rear and RE001 on the front and that seems to be a pretty good combination. 36's give reasonable drive and the fronts grip like anything I have had so far.

Just get Achilles cost you about 450 for the set , correct weight and speed rating for stags , and to be honest there as good as my khumos that are twice the price , jet r31 runs them two

The questions you need to ask yourself are, what are your expectations? What do you want out of the tyre? Is it driven in the wet? How often do you want to be replacing them?

The thing to consider is that tyres are a consumable. So if all you're doing is driving around on the street and its daily driven. Do you really want to be slapping on tyres that are 2x the price when you wont even see the full potential of the tyre? Sure you want the added safety and the ability to pull up as soon as possible. I couldn't justify spending $1000 on a set of tyres that would only last me a year.

I dont think i'dd ever go back to KU36's on a daily. My GTR was abit of a handfull in the wet on KU36's. Of course if it wasn't daily driven they would have been ideal.

I cant comment on RE002's but it was a consideration at the time. In hindsight i regret the purchase of my KU31's as i no longer drive my GTR to work so it sits in the shed until it gets a hammering :)

Hey Zx,

that's basically what im trying to work out.

i do 600km a week, half highway driving, half city, sometimes spirited hills drives/ cruises, highspeed large roundabouts :P

i have bridgestone....somethings maby re001 or the 050 i dunno, on my current 17s, amazing tires, i have had khumo ku31 on my R32, not bad for the cost.

getting mixed feedback on Achilles but i know they are bang for buck the best for cheap.

im not interested in ku36 for 600km per week i dont want a semi slick, the bridgestones seem to have good life and well good all round.

Achilles will be damn cheap and for $1100 the bridgestone will be the best for that price (seeing as i cant seem to find any under $1500 fitted)

it seems i just need to decide to i cheap out and go Achilles or spend the extra and get the bridgestones.