SAU Community

5K Service

RosieR34

Hey peeps,

So, I'm up to my second 5k service and thought I'd do it myself. I've never done one before so I was wondering what is actually done in a 5k service so I can purchase the goods :D

Also, I have no idea on what type of oil to use or anything of the such, so specifics would be great.

R34 GTT (RB25DET NEO)

Cheers :D

Ryco z145 oil filter

Ryco z200 fuel filter

Nulon 10-40w synthetic oil.

Clean pod.

Drive.

Would the Shell servo down the road supply that oil? Where do I get the other bits and pieces? Supercheap or something?

cheers

Do you know what spark plugs you have at the moment?

I do not - not sure if gapped or whatnot. I haven't checked.

Edited by RosieR34

Hey peeps,

So, I'm up to my second 5k service and thought I'd do it myself. I've never done one before so I was wondering what is actually done in a 5k service so I can purchase the goods :D

Also, I have no idea on what type of oil to use or anything of the such, so specifics would be great.

R34 GTT (RB25DET NEO)

Cheers :D

There are so many threads on all this information in forced induction. If you bothered to search instead of being lazy you would find an abundance of information. For someone that has such a high post count you really are a noob. Edited by Pattey21
  • Like 1

There are so many threads on all this information in forced induction. If you bothered to search instead of being lazy you would find an abundance of information. For someone that has such a high post count you really are a noob.

I am very aware of the search feature and the abundance of information. But I prefer speaking with my little tight knit community and getting their opinions- you know, creating discussion and such? After all it is Monday morning.

Lol

Rob's Autoservice in Dunlop. He will learn you !!

Take Wallet with monies and the willingness to follow instruction and get your hands dirty.....

I think Rob is a bit busy these days - Skywagon and all ! haha

Was going to crack open the YouTube and try my luck there. A lot of people seem to do their own 5k so i thought it shouldn't be that hard(:

I have heard of the search feature and the abundance of information it has. But I prefer putting in little effort and getting my post count above 2k before christmas would be awesome!

That's what I read.

At the very least have a browse first and have some idea. Starting up new threads about such covered fundamental information just dumbs down the A.C.T section. There is a wasteland thread after all.

Anyway,

I use penrite HPR5 SN grade fully synthetic, good value for money.

You undo the sump plug (make sure you have something to catch the oil. Whilst draining pull the spart plugs out. When finished draining take the oil filter off and put new one on (rub a bit of new oil on the seal of the new oil filter. Put sump plug back in. Fill up with oil. Really simple. Unless its a GTR because the oil filter is a bitch to get to.

Motul turbolight is what i use.

Everyone likes different oil.

A bit of moisturising cream on the hands first, it helps to wash off the oil and stuff afterwards.

Do the filter tight BY HAND not too tight or its hard to get off.

Check other fluids while youre there, coolant, pwr steering, brake, clutch, maybe even check condition and level of gearbox and diff oil.

Clean or replace the air filter.

Change the fuel filter.

Clean battery terminals, and check battery fluid levels.

Some of that aircon cleaner is nice, Autobarn i think. Kills all the mould and stuff in there.

Tyres, tread depth, pressure. Make sure ALL wheelnuts are tight.

Have a look at how much brake pads you have left.

Im sure i forgot something......

• Like 1

Motul turbolight is what i use.

Everyone likes different oil.

A bit of moisturising cream on the hands first, it helps to wash off the oil and stuff afterwards.

Do the filter tight BY HAND not too tight or its hard to get off.

Check other fluids while youre there, coolant, pwr steering, brake, clutch, maybe even check condition and level of gearbox and diff oil.

Clean or replace the air filter.

Change the fuel filter.

Clean battery terminals, and check battery fluid levels.

Some of that aircon cleaner is nice, Autobarn i think. Kills all the mould and stuff in there.

Tyres, tread depth, pressure. Make sure ALL wheelnuts are tight.

Have a look at how much brake pads you have left.

Im sure i forgot something......

Check suspension and brakes: Tie rods, ends, bushes (all of them) for movement. Shocks for leaks. Uni joints for movement/play. Brake pads for wear, Brake discs for wear, brake fluid and anything wrong with the brakes.

Check Exhaust for leaks, rust

Check tyres for wear (wheel alignment, camber wear)

I use Penrite oils but because I'm broke I use Shell at the moment (so cheap at Kmart).

In the end, you might just end up doing an oil change and not a service.

+1 for Penrite oils. I use HPR15, cause the engine is a bit old, so something a little thicker. I don't know what its like for RB25s, so maybe use a HPR10 or 5.

Also I don't know how hard it is to get to the filter on 25s, I have a fandangle filter claw thing (can get one from Supercheap, IIRC it was like $15 or so) that makes them a breeze to take off. On the 20s, its on the intake side, in the worst spot under the intake mani.

+1 for Penrite oils. I use HPR15, cause the engine is a bit old, so something a little thicker. I don't know what its like for RB25s, so maybe use a HPR10 or 5.

Also I don't know how hard it is to get to the filter on 25s, I have a fandangle filter claw thing (can get one from Supercheap, IIRC it was like $15 or so) that makes them a breeze to take off. On the 20s, its on the intake side, in the worst spot under the intake mani.

its under the intake on most cars . Pretty easy to get off.

Gotta say, this thread intrigues me...

All this time on SAU and you haven't researched what you need and how to do it?

How do you think I know about these things?

Cooz I says to myself, "Self" I says, "my car is gonna be up for some lovin' in the not too distant future, perhaps I should look into the dos and do nots involved in said lovin'".

"Do I have access to a wealth of knowledge which may enable me to make informed decisions regarding my queries?"

"Yes I do" myself replies, so I then investigate, research and absorb what I can/need to know and act upon it.

Your excuse? :P