SAU Community

Op6 Housing On R33 Turbo

mrsr32

I have a r33 turbo with a 21u housing. I can get my hands on a vg30det turbo that has an op6.

I believe the actually very turbo is smaller in the compressor side.

Can I just swap the rear housings and is it a job I can sit at home

No the old VG30 single ceramic BB turbo does have a smaller compressor wheel than RB25 turbos and I know because I have them both . If you want to prove it gently try fitting the compressor housing off the VG turbo on the RB25 cartridge but it won't go on because its profile machined for a smaller wheel . The housing casting is the same but it's machined differently and also doesn't have the anti reversion groove machined into its snout .

To remove the T housing people generally hold the center section in a vice and heat the T housing while tapping with a soft faced hammer . You want to do this evenly so the housing doesn't cock sideways and chip the ceramic turbine blades .

A .

• Like 1

Same casting, machined slightly differently, as said by disco above. Either housing would need to be machined for high flowed compressor wheel, so no difference there. OP6 back end better choice for high flow.

I wouldn't bother doing the swap at all. Assuming you buy it, just hold onto it as a spare in case the 25 turbo dies, or send it off for highflow before fitting. The time and effort spent on swapping it stock will be hardly worth it.