SAU Community

R32 Gts4 Front Wheels Locking Up

TheSteve

Having trouble with my R32 gts4.. Has rb25 awd and the front wheels want to lock up. I took the awd fuse out and still the same thing.. Just wondering if any1 has had the same problem or ever herd of it before? Also all the brakes are fine and dont lock on

Edited by TheSteve

I only just bought the the car . Dont know much about them and I drove it from brizzy to warwick not a problem.. Just went to move it in the back yard and it rolls about 3 meters or so then front wheels lock up..

Does the 4wd light come on?

Have you tried removing the front shaft (transfer case to front diff)?

You'll need a 12mm ring spanner ground down a little around the outside of the ring to fit over the nuts so you don't round them off. Then spin the front wheels by hand.

I found it easier to get 2 12mm spanners and use the open end. You'll need to jack the car so all 4 wheels are off the ground, then just spin the shaft with your hand to get all 4 nuts and bolts.

But when the fronts or rears start locking up it sounds like a transfer/diff/elec problem. What size tyres are on it? Are they evenly worn? Have you done an ecu fault read? I don't know much about the subject, but most people have problems when the rolling diameter is different.

Can't edit my previous post.

I was going to suggest front brakes but you said they're fine. Have you checked the diff and transfer oil?

Also do you have an awd button to lock it? Mine will shudder when it's turned on.

Found this:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/391468-centre-diff-locking-and-binding-diffs-ay-low-speed/

Will be taking transfer case off tomorrow to suss out... I have four brand new tyres on her and they are 205/45/16... I haven't done a ecu read yet... Also no oil leaks I can find.. Just hoping not running a dry front diff

Cheers Missileman ... I spoke to previous owner and he got a new gearbox put in it and that is all he could tell me and it was done by a mechanic... Cheers guys... Will let ya,s know the out come of me problem tomorrow... Have a good1

Can't edit my previous post.

I was going to suggest front brakes but you said they're fine. Have you checked the diff and transfer oil?

Also do you have an awd button to lock it? Mine will shudder when it's turned on.

Found this:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/391468-centre-diff-locking-and-binding-diffs-ay-low-speed/

My S2 RS4S also shudders when the attessa engages. Before my clutch change I searched & searched SAU for the part # for power steering fluid special which is KLF30-0004 (the 4 determines the size of the container in litres) which Nissan only recommends for the use as the correct fluid for attessa actuation.

Nissan doesn't have a listing for that part #. The closest they could give me was Jap spec power steering fluid KLF50.

The old fluid that i bled out was a gold colour. Bled the new fluid right through, & shudder was still evident upon road test. I suspect there might be excess slack in the drive chain which causes the shudder, as grip to the front in the wet is perfect, so clutch packs are doing their job.

Nissan Matic D was used in the transfer case, without any change to the shudder effect.

Ideas anyone???

My S2 RS4S also shudders when the attessa engages. Before my clutch change I searched & searched SAU for the part # for power steering fluid special which is KLF30-0004 (the 4 determines the size of the container in litres) which Nissan only recommends for the use as the correct fluid for attessa actuation.

Nissan doesn't have a listing for that part #. The closest they could give me was Jap spec power steering fluid KLF50.

The old fluid that i bled out was a gold colour. Bled the new fluid right through, & shudder was still evident upon road test. I suspect there might be excess slack in the drive chain which causes the shudder, as grip to the front in the wet is perfect, so clutch packs are doing their job.

Nissan Matic D was used in the transfer case, without any change to the shudder effect.

Ideas anyone???

I was talking to my friend about this last year and he has the same problem. He changed diff oil and was worried the diffs were on their way out. The handbook states that when the attessa button is turned on it will lock into 50:50. So if you have LSD's it would make sense they're shuddering. You will notice it more on wider lower profile tyres.

How were you driving at the time it locked up steve? ie. full lock, straight, did it completely lock up? etc

I replaced all drivetrain fluids.

Front & rear diffs are running Castrol Limited Slip 90.

Tyres are a fraction wider, but the overall diameter is very close to stock.

My odometer is out 400m over a 5k distance. So I have to remember those ads on TV, 'wipe off 5' when I see a police car!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...
7 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Hah! A guy with 6 posts is not checking his notifications from a decade ago.

Obviously im waiting for the gurus (you guys) to reply, what is more frowned upon, remaking a thread that’s already been made in the past or replying to on old thread. Idk lol 

1 minute ago, GTSBoy said:

I'd start a new thread with a clear explanation of your problem, rather than force prospective helpers to re-read an old thread and fish through whatever has been said in it to work out what your issue is.

Sweet I’ll find time to do that