SAU Community

Amplify/boost Spark

If anything what are you using to amplify/boost the spark in your RB. I have an RB25DET with stock coil packs (have a newer set of RB26DET coil packs to replace them with) but I want to get maximum spark. So I’m researching what has already been done so that I can choose the best option for me. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

There are plenty of options, and some threads on here.

Why do you want maximum spark? Do you have miss fire issues? a boost spark won't equal more power unless you have an ignition related misfire.

I seem to have a slight misfire under hard acceleration from low rpm. If i accelerate normally than everything seems to be fine. I'm going to be running some test of the coil packs when it gets a bit warmer, it snowed here in Atlanta, GA (USA). I will be working to confirm that it is a misfire. I have a set of RB26 coil packs that I'm going to make sure a cleaned up in top notch shape. I have seen some things on applying liquid tape to them and wrapping the extensions with electrical tape to keep them form grounding out. Also the car seems to have a bad idle after getting to operating temp. I think that may just be poor idle setting or tune. I will be checking into that also. I did not think to state that the RB25DET is swapped into a 1995 240sx S14. I guess my thinking was to optimize spark for smoother running motor by really making sure the fuel gets burned well.

If there is any fear/worry that your coils are not working right, I wouldn't bugger around with 2nd hand coil packs. Just buy some new OEM coils or a set of Splitfires and be done with it.

I hear you on that. A good friend of mine now has an RB26 and is going with the LSX coil packs for his ride. He gave me the RB26 coil packs in trade for an busted ka24de engine block. I'm going to have to save up a bit more before I can get some new ones (this summer). This is my first RB so I'm trying to do my homework, ask the right people the right questions and then do what is right for my ride.

Std new oem coil packs (not the 300 dollar sets on ebay which are copies) and irridium or platinum plugs gapped at 0.5mm will support close to 1000hp. Split fire and the same plugs will also handle more HP than most will ever need.

Sad part is none of the Nissan dealerships I have access to say that they can get any Nissan Original Parts for and RB. I have options but they all equal me spending $400-$500. That is what I get for going with the RB vs the SR. My goal is not high (350 rwhp) so stock ones will do the trick. Thanks guys I'll source a set and go with those. Would you still add a spark amplifier once you get that or not needed at that point?

And thank you everyone for answering my noobie type questions.