SAU Community

Too 20G, Or Not Too 20G, That Is The Question

s213b

the 20g still rocks my world everytime I mash the go pedal..so much fun....:D

That said ,Hypergear has moved mountains since I built mine and bang for buck its a winner for any stock manifold application..

if you insist on 20g get a billet wheel and it should go close to meeting your goals...

And Mick makes a point...my 700$ turbo doubled in cost by the time it was installed while his GTX was a Bolton in comparison for much the same money and less headaches

I still love it tho. ;)

• Like 1

And Mick makes a point...my 700$ turbo doubled in cost by the time it was installed while his GTX was a Bolton in comparison for much the same money and less headaches

I still love it tho. ;)

What would you do IF you had your time over again, if you know what you did now?

Tdo6 with billet wheel...I love my car. ... :P

and on paper the only thing that beats its midrange pull is HGs "new" hiflows. So to save all the headf**ks with custom pipework I would get a HG high flow...they are making fantastic power now and reliable as any other turbo on the market .....If your tuner says they are no good ,maybe you need another tuner...

In OPs case I think a GTX or a HG equivalent would be perfect for his needs ...leave the 20g for top mount setups

Before Artz came to me with his external gate ideas the 20G power output was only speculative. I don't think anyone had pushed one to 300wkw on a Skyline. I seem to remember it hitting 280kw on petrol, so there is either a restriction, or much more in his setup as I would usually expect 40-50kw from ethanol. Trent never pushed the tune hard as he was planning to track it.

The response was amazing for the power output. As he mentioned, a billet wheel would only help with flow due to the smaller hub and lighter compressor.

Only one I knew of was Dr Drift pushed 300kws on pulp at 22psi...with e85 im.getting same power on 17-18psi...I hit 312 @ 21psi, and I think Dori hit 308 @ 20psi...its definitely hitting a wall there though that I am pretty sure is compressor

In OPs case I think a GTX or a HG equivalent would be perfect for his needs ...leave the 20g for top mount setups

The GTX value is honestly out the window now, I was the last one to nab a deal off them and that was without turbine housing.

Bear in mind a GT30 IWG housing is over $500 and the required dump is also not a bolt bolt, so all in all the current HG highflow SMASHES competition for bang for buck. Like FFS it costs $880 and bolts back on exactly where the stock one came off. Cannot be beat!

BUT, I don't think the said highflow will do what OP is asking..

the 20g still rocks my world everytime I mash the go pedal..so much fun....:D

That said ,Hypergear has moved mountains since I built mine and bang for buck its a winner for any stock manifold application..

if you insist on 20g get a billet wheel and it should go close to meeting your goals...

I think if ill be maxing the td06 ill go hypergear a internal gated atr43ss2. It will put another month or two on my build but if it gets me to my goal I'm happy. Does anyone know how a hg atr43ss2 int gate would fair against a ext gate td06 10cm with billet wheel in regards to response?

Response wise there are a few hundred RPM in it. Check page 1 of the hypergear thread for links to testing, IIRC he tested the TD06SL2 turbine with his SS2 compressor back to back. The TD06SL2-SS2 combo was more responsive than a normal SS2 but made less power. It also is not compatible with an IWG housing (of HG's).

The SS2 is honestly a very good choice, I have seen a couple of locally tuned cars which run them (tuned by different tuners) and the results were on par with my expectations. Both cars had above 270kw on 98 and were mostly 'bolt on' packages, meaning I believe with better cooler pipes etc I believe they could have done better.

And yeah, don't tell your tuner what it is. Tell him its a 3076R LOL

Response wise there are a few hundred RPM in it. Check page 1 of the hypergear thread for links to testing, IIRC he tested the TD06SL2 turbine with his SS2 compressor back to back. The TD06SL2-SS2 combo was more responsive than a normal SS2 but made less power. It also is not compatible with an IWG housing (of HG's).

The SS2 is honestly a very good choice, I have seen a couple of locally tuned cars which run them (tuned by different tuners) and the results were on par with my expectations. Both cars had above 270kw on 98 and were mostly 'bolt on' packages, meaning I believe with better cooler pipes etc I believe they could have done better.

And yeah, don't tell your tuner what it is. Tell him its a 3076R LOL

My tuner is a pretty popular one here in Adelaide (not gona name names) but he was not keen on the hypergears a for some reason. I just don't want them to use it as an excuse if something isn't 100% on the dyno for them to be like 'oh we told you hg wasn't the best' - even if its not the turbo. If you know what I mean.

Haha ill say its a hg turbo (Honeywell garrett) ;)

LOL @ honeywell garrett.

Don't worry, I wen't to one of the better tuners in NSW and was told similar. Though I know of other issues in my setup and even the way it was tuned that were totally overlooked. They probably felt it was a waste of time without a fancy pants turbo.

That being said though, I was only 20kw short of what I felt was the best I could get, and my outcome was actually pretty damn good. Even when the tuner drove the car he was impressed, so he sort of ate his words lol

LOL Dave, IIRC you had a cropped GT30 with an old T04S wheel on it right?

Yeah a lot of hate on HG turbos.. I think its because when he first started doing business he was using much older tech stuff.. Things have changed now though and his products are great. My car really hauled ass with the SS1PU, if I wasn't chasing the big 300 I would have never changed it.

I think some of the earlier HG turbos didn't perform that flash from a lot of what I saw, the newer stuff while I am not convinced are as all conquering as there is some implication by enthusiasts - they ARE very good, if not the best bang for buck in terms of simplicity and balance of response and power. The customer support appears to be very good too, so if I lived in Australia and was doing a fresh internally gated bolt on setup I'd seriously consider going one.

If someone said they don't want one however, I wouldn't try and ram them down someone's throat - much the same as where people have asked about which Hypergear turbo to go for I haven't come in and told them to get which of my preferences I would go for.

I remember that POS Dave.

But it's BB core, must be magically better. :P

I believe it probably was a good bolton Hi-flow option....in 2004...it should never have been tagged a 3071 though because not one part of it was...well except maybe the core...but a core is only as good as the wheels bolted to it...