SAU Community

Rb26 Catch Can Install - Confirmation

PSIKO

Hi guys,

I've had a read of quite a bit of the catch can setups, however it has honestly left me a bit confused so I just wanted to clarify before I went ahead.

Can you please let me know if the following set up for the catch can is effective from the pics below?

Notes:

Original - 1:

this is how it is currently without the catch can in place.

The green dot means it is blocked off there. The intake manifold has instead been linked to the ViPec ecu.

The green loop means it is connected between rocker covers

The green snake to the right is exhaust side connected to the intake

Original - 2:

this is what the planned hosing will look like. Modified hoses are in blue, green means they're the same as before.

The exhaust side has been re-routed to the catch can

The other port on the catch can has then been routed to the intake.

Cheers all

post-867-0-06434700-1393143504_thumb.jpg

post-867-0-44696500-1393143513_thumb.jpg

Edited by PSIKO

why not just run both to the catch can? and plug up the intake? this will stop your oil vapour being recirculated through your intake and making everything dirty and lowering your power....not sure if its legal tegal to do this in WA though.

As above ...your plan looks ok. Do you have some form of baffles in your catch can? If not and you are getting too much oil into your intake you might need an additional oil/air separator and/or put some mines baffles in the cam covers or make your own.

why not just run both to the catch can? and plug up the intake? this will stop your oil vapour being recirculated through your intake and making everything dirty and lowering your power....not sure if its legal tegal to do this in WA though.

If the legalities of it all weren't a concern, this would work wouldn't it?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

As above ...your plan looks ok. Do you have some form of baffles in your catch can? If not and you are getting too much oil into your intake you might need an additional oil/air separator and/or put some mines baffles in the cam covers or make your own.

I'm not quite sure, I'll have to contact the people who originally made it and ask them as I can't visually inspect inside it.

So I can keep the other port on the rocker cover intake side blocked off?

And that line from the intake manifold is fine going to the ECU and not connected somehow to the other vacuum lines? Just concerned that I need to connect in the PCV valve to the system, that's all.

Many thanks again!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm not quite sure, I'll have to contact the people who originally made it and ask them as I can't visually inspect inside it.

So I can keep the other port on the rocker cover intake side blocked off?

And that line from the intake manifold is fine going to the ECU and not connected somehow to the other vacuum lines? Just concerned that I need to connect in the PCV valve to the system, that's all.

Many thanks again!

Yep route both cam covers to the catch can and you could block off the pcv valve too. The line going from the intake manifold to your ecu is presumably for the map sensor and should not be connected to any other line.

If it's a Sri catch can there's a hidden breather in the middle on the bottom. Don't know if it provides adequate venting capabilities for a modified engine as the openings very little

Grab a bar, a half inch ratchet extension will do, and gently turn the fittings in the rocker covers to face each other as well. Be careful with how hard you push as the fittings can be damaged if you have to push them too hard. Then you will have one cross over hose between the 2 rocker covers and the 2 outlets facing forward going to the catch can. Makes it look a little less obvious to the boys in blue. They should end up looking like this, bare in mind these rocker covers arent sitting correctly, but i am sure you can see what i am getting at. It just means there is nothing blocked off and it looks neater as well

IMG_7496.jpg

Where the can sits isn't a problem there's enough space there but if you look up the breather on the bottom, the gap between where the tube ends and the top of the catch can is very small compared to the surface are of most breathers which seem to be about -16