SAU Community

So I Got The Wrong Clutch

After some advice, my car needed an engine rebuild gearbox rebuild n a new clutch, so I ordered in a new nismo twin plate copper mix comp spec clutch from rhd in japan. But when the mechanic went to put the clutch in turns out a previous owner has converted it from pull to push type, an the clutch I got was a pull type (car is a 33gtr). Wot are the options? Don't really want to freight the clutch back to japan an freight a new one in even if rhd were okay to do that.

• Like 1

I know the theoretical difference between pull and push type clutches, but what are the practical reasons and implications for doing so? Why would someone opt to convert to push type?

To run an expensive push type clutch.

You mean inexpensive? As pull type clutches are more costly than push types.

Or you mean it's only expensive because you have to do the conversion and then by the clutch on top? :)

Expensive as in a $2k clutch, but yes, I'd imagine pull types might have been more expensive outright purchase and servicing wise. Please note the time stamp hahaha.

I remember seeing (I think) ORC clutch kits with the converter, no idea if they ended up costing more than the equivalent pull type.

If you get the right kit from new it will come with the correct bear etc

Company's like OS giken and others only make push clutches, so sometimes to run a really serious clutch you might need to go push.

I've changed between the 2 many times and the OS Giken pull to push kit is literally a few bolts and a different fork.