SAU Community

Anyone Have Or (Had) A Black Car... Good Or Bad?

Black on the V36 is super delicate. All my door handles are completely scratched up. Looks like a cat had a fight with it. And it goes glossy clean to faded & dirty within an hour lol. I'll never go black again

Nissans been cheaping out on their paint on the v36's imo. Iv got a pearl white 2007 v36 and imo the 2005 pearl white stagea I had the paint was miles better and had alot more pearl in it.

I see the paint code is slightly different. Stagea was QX1 and marketed as a special optional paint. The v36 has QX1 R it honestly doesnt jump out at you anything like the stagea did.

And yeah iv had a few black cars now. IMO the only black cars id buy are the euro's better quality paint...

Very true about bird poop also bat poop does my head it these bastards seem to like poopin on black cars for some reason thats what I think anyhow... junkie interested tp know what process you use for washing cars just might help me better it cheers

Its not hard. First, buy the right stuff... starting with two buckets, one for water+car wash and the other for water only. Get rid of your sponges and chamois, and replace them with microfibre mitts and towels, they are much safer on black paint. Wash products arent hugely important just buy something of decent quality, i been using a lot of Bowdens Own stuff lately they have nice products, decent prices and its all locally made too

Technique itself is pretty straightforward too, rinse the car, then wash one panel at a time starting from the top and working your way down. Use a separate wash mitt for lower panels and another mitt or brush for wheels, and rinse them often in the water-only bucket. When drying, i also use a light mist of quick detail spray to help remove the water and lessen the chances of scratching

Have a separate drying towel for wheels and door jambs too, never mix the towels. Finally, have a pro detail the car once you buy it (full decontaminate/buff/polish/wax process), as the caryard hacks are hopeless and will create more swirls than gloss and just spread cheap oily products all over the inside and on the plastic trim outside

Its not hard. First, buy the right stuff... starting with two buckets, one for water+car wash and the other for water only. Get rid of your sponges and chamois, and replace them with microfibre mitts and towels, they are much safer on black paint. Wash products arent hugely important just buy something of decent quality, i been using a lot of Bowdens Own stuff lately they have nice products, decent prices and its all locally made too

Technique itself is pretty straightforward too, rinse the car, then wash one panel at a time starting from the top and working your way down. Use a separate wash mitt for lower panels and another mitt or brush for wheels, and rinse them often in the water-only bucket. When drying, i also use a light mist of quick detail spray to help remove the water and lessen the chances of scratching

Have a separate drying towel for wheels and door jambs too, never mix the towels. Finally, have a pro detail the car once you buy it (full decontaminate/buff/polish/wax process), as the caryard hacks are hopeless and will create more swirls than gloss and just spread cheap oily products all over the inside and on the plastic trim outside

^

this

Got back from the big smoke yesterday, well Adelaide... ;) hey I live in the country.

Looked at a nice 370Z Pearl White, never thought I would like the white but doesn't look too bad, especially with the black wheels etc. Nice rides the 370Z's just to impractical for main car with only two seats.

Saw a brand new GTR.... DRool. Torture walking away from it.

So anyway I got to see two V36 370GT, one in black and the other in the grey or dark silver? I was blown away how every little scratch and swirl mark etc showed up big time, in the black. Also the black looks kinda faded... You are all right, it would do my head in trying to keep it semi clean for all of three hours, if lucky. Pity.

So black is definitely out now. I reckon it's going to be either the grey? (Could someone let me know if it is called grey?) and is there only one silver to pick from? Which looks quite light in colour. I would actually like a chrome like silver, that would be sweet.

Other colour I'm thinking of is the Slate Blue, I will attach a pic of that colour. Does Anyone reckon that would show up every little mark like black? I can't see one in person as I know they are a rarer colour.post-134916-0-27585300-1403258882_thumb.jpg

Edited by Black Dog

Excellent advice from Junkie and seconded. Though I do prefer to detail my vehicle with my own manual labour (as I don't trust myself with any machines to buff with for the fear of burning the paint), I do realise that one day I'll need to take it into a pro for that once in a while additional pampering. The key is to finding one that you can trust and that's not always easy. I've had the good fortune of being friends with many in the automotive industry who have had plenty experiences with various detailers and can give me trustworthy advice.

Once you find them, establish a good relationship with them!

Slate blue is only in V35s - the V36 coupe has a blue, but it is not Slate, and it is rare as.

http://revesby.australialisted.com/cars/nissan-skyline-ckv36-370gt-nbsp-2007_17267654.html

There are also 4 differene shades of grey from memory.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Skyline-2012/SSE-AD-2810335/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

Nightcrawler, This is the car from the picture I posted. To me they look like two different shades of Blue, from your link to mine. What do you guys reckon? The dark blue colour looks bloody nice, I'm just not sure if it would show all the marks like a black car. Also if anyone can please point me in the the right direction for what colours I can choose from for a 2009 (and upwards to the latest year) V36 370GT Coupe. I saw the post on here with hundreds of different colours, but it doesn't have it split up into models V36 etc. It's the last thing I need to get sorted before I can start the process of importing my baby.

Any help, would be great.

Cheers,

Paul

Yeah the one on Carsales is listed as Slate Blue - my mistake - Slate blue is a series 2 V35 and V36 colour. The series 1 V35 colour I was thinking of is Lakeshore Blue- which is much lighter.

http://gtcarlot.com/colors/car/1261170.html

Either way mate the lighter a car, the easier it is to keep clean and look good. The darker colours show up the scratches, swirl marks and dirt.

Current V36 colours (not sure exactly which years are included/excluded):

http://gocar.com.au/nissan-skyline-v36-coupe-guide/5

On a slightly side-note, I jumped on the Nissan Japan website and came across this - I can't believe the options are 2lt turbo or 3.5l hybrid!!

http://www2.nissan.co.jp/SKYLINE/?rstid=20140314rst000001001

On a slightly side-note, I jumped on the Nissan Japan website and came across this - I can't believe the options are 2lt turbo or 3.5l hybrid!!

This is the V36 sedan replacement.. already imported by Infiniti Aust as the Q50, so you won't be importing one any time soon. (the Aust lineup includes a diesel instead of the 2L T.) We also get the option of an AWD Hybrid.

I would be very happy with the 3.5L Hybrid.. have you read the specs??.. around 5sec 0-100 times (for the RWD).. and fuel economy of around 5L/100km. combined power/torque figures of 268kw/546Nm so considerably better than any current stock V36. and considerably better than the Q60 (V36/G37 coupe replacement), which only gets current VQ37HR engine.

You will also notice in Japan, it is just known as the 'skyline', Nissan badging has been completely dropped, even thought it has the Infiniti logo all over it, they don't have 'Infiniti' in Japan..

Edited by sonicii

swore I would never buy a black car but here I am :)

It looks great clean but gets dirty just looking at it, seriously I ended up making a cover set up to make it easy to cover it as it gets dirty just sitting in the garage. I just pull it up, hitch it and drive away, all good :)

post-134126-0-62134800-1403470731_thumb.jpg

post-134126-0-09266700-1403470927_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah the one on Carsales is listed as Slate Blue - my mistake - Slate blue is a series 2 V35 and V36 colour. The series 1 V35 colour I was thinking of is Lakeshore Blue- which is much lighter.

http://gtcarlot.com/colors/car/1261170.html

Either way mate the lighter a car, the easier it is to keep clean and look good. The darker colours show up the scratches, swirl marks and dirt.

Current V36 colours (not sure exactly which years are included/excluded):

http://gocar.com.au/nissan-skyline-v36-coupe-guide/5

Thanks Nightcrawler, I found the gocar website a few days ago, it's a great site. Heaps of information.

This is the V36 sedan replacement.. already imported by Infiniti Aust as the Q50, so you won't be importing one any time soon. (the Aust lineup includes a diesel instead of the 2L T.) We also get the option of an AWD Hybrid.

I would be very happy with the 3.5L Hybrid.. have you read the specs??.. around 5sec 0-100 times (for the RWD).. and fuel economy of around 5L/100km. combined power/torque figures of 268kw/546Nm so considerably better than any current stock V36. and considerably better than the Q60 (V36/G37 coupe replacement), which only gets current VQ37HR engine.

You will also notice in Japan, it is just known as the 'skyline', Nissan badging has been completely dropped, even thought it has the Infiniti logo all over it, they don't have 'Infiniti' in Japan..

I noticed the 3.5L Hybrid a while ago on the OZ site. Sure is nice and as you said the specs are awesome. If I had $82,000 approx for the top model laying around I would think of dishing it out on that.

Better yet I was looking on the USA Infiniti site & the 2014 Q60 IPL looks awesome. Loving the body kit & it has a nice tuned 348hp/260kw engine. Very nice, damn we miss out big time in Australia, not only do we not get the models but our prices are Farking insane....

http://www.infinitiusa.com/coupe/q60-ipl

swore I would never buy a black car but here I am :)

It looks great clean but gets dirty just looking at it, seriously I ended up making a cover set up to make it easy to cover it as it gets dirty just sitting in the garage. I just pull it up, hitch it and drive away, all good :)

Very nice ride Nismo. Like I've said I reckon you can't beat the colour black, it's a real head turner. It would just do my head in keeping it spotless :(

Big thanks to everyone who has replied, you have all helped me out heaps :)

I've definitely changed my mind on getting the black. I'm going to start another post, as I've pretty much narrowed down the colours I'm going for. I can't see these cars in person to judge the colours, as I live in the country & I know for sure no one has one. So again any opinions will be a big help. It's the last thing I need to get sorted before I can order my beast ;)

Cheers,

Paul

Edited by Black Dog

Better yet I was looking on the USA Infiniti site & the 2014 Q60 IPL looks awesome. Loving the body kit & it has a nice tuned 348hp/260kw engine. Very nice, damn we miss out big time in Australia, not only do we not get the models but our prices are Farking insane....

http://www.infinitiusa.com/coupe/q60-ipl

yes, except the price is in the GT-R territory in Japan, so probably the same if they brought it in to Aust. Given that, I would take the GT-R every time!

But if we could get something close to the USA prices, it would be great!!

Edited by sonicii

^^^ yea, but the GTR is a very unforgiving car - you wouldn't want one as your daily driver. Horrible in traffic for the most part, and not terribly comfortable to sit in for any decent distance. The Q60 on the other hand is a luxury cruiser with some punch when it is needed. Different strokes for different folks.

The beauty of the Skyline not being released here in all of the engine variants gives us power later on to get them on the SEVS list and import them.

yes, except the price is in the GT-R territory in Japan, so probably the same if they brought it in to Aust. Given that, I would take the GT-R every time!

But if we could get something close to the USA prices, it would be great!!

I thought the Japan prices were pretty good? I didn't find the Q60 IPL (equivalent) on Japan site. However I'm pretty sure when I converted the V36 370GT SP Coupe over to AUD the price worked out to $54,000

On the USA site in had the price of the same car from $48,000 ish AUD

So I wouldn't have thought there would be a lot of difference? If it is in GTR price territory, then yeah, GTR everyday of the week...

I know get the USA Q60 IPL and convert to RHD, easy... Yeah right I'm sure ;)

Given that Camaros etc cost $45k to convert to rhd, not to mention the fact that they sell the Inifiniti Q60 IPL here already, you are shit out of luck :D

Seriously that much.... That's bloody highway robbery!

I couldn't find the IPL on the OZ site?

Black looks amazing clean at night and wet. But shows everything thou. I swore I would never have black but it can look so good

So so so true. had a black 34 GTT - it looked THE BEST when it was wet from the rain, at night. Like some kind of sleek, sexy, stealth machine. But yes as with what everyone else said, I had to wash it once a week or two weeks at the most, it would be 'dirty' pretty much after cleaning it. But, black looks super nice at night, wet or not. And always keep it under cover when not in use! I also found giving it a good waxing helped keep it clean. Even sometjing like the meguair's quick wax.