SAU Community

Hks Pistons Noisy? 2.8 Stroker..

It's obviously the piston's fault, not the clearance. :P

Get on to your machinist/engine builder and ask him exactly what Piggaz asked above. My guess is he set it up loose because you want to lean on it hard, hence you will get a bit of noise.

very common for forged pistons, p2w ( piston to wall clearance ) will vary depending on the load / heat the engine will endure , Since forged piston expand with heat (more then stock) some builder will run a higher piston to wall clearance then recommended by the MFG so the piston will not hit the cyl wall when it will expand a bit more depending on the load / heat. This is what you call piston slap. It will quiet down as your car gets to operating temperature because of the expansion of the piston with the heat.

If the noise persists when hot, now that would be another issue.

I would like to know if you have the build sheet or could ask your engine builder what piston to wall clearance he is using for your aplication

Well the apparently hks gave pre cut rings for the 2.8 stroker kit.. I wanna hear from hks piston owners lol

I like the way you haven't answered how much piston to bore clearance you are running.

Well the apparently hks gave pre cut rings for the 2.8 stroker kit.. I wanna hear from hks piston owners lol

And aren't all piston rings "pre-cut"? They would be pretty hard to get on the pistons otherwise. Gap can only be adjusted by removing material!

So ask your machinist.....he set it up.

If you want to quieten it down you could always get new bigger pistons and rings and rebore/hone it correctly or friction coat the piston skirts which takes up a little clearance.