SAU Community

exhaust noise query

i recently purchased a 3" hi flow cat + cat back exhaust with a resonator. however, the noise in-cabin is starting to annoy me. does anyone have any ideas how to quieten it down? will sound dampening material in the boot help? will a 3" dump/front pipe make any difference to the exhaust note? thanks :)

A 3" dump + front pipe will quieten down the exhaust a little bit. Maybe get a muffler installed just before the cannon. May not be good for performance though

the Apexi ECV fits up just after the cat, and can be opened or closed as required.

Other than that, I did fit a heap of quilting material bought from spotlight inside my boot behind the trim and under my rear seats, that toned things down a bit and weighs nothing. Only cost about $6/metre.

bah, bit of exhaust noise is what u want! hear ur engine!

but yeh some exhaust designs/mufflers are more prone to "droning" than others when at low speeds. resonators should help with that.

my exhaust is 3" from turbo the muffler straight pipe, then muffler with 5" tip! but its surprisingly quiet below about 3500-4000rpm til it gets properly on boost. guess igot lucky :)

the dump pipe doesnt really make much difference to cruising noise. however, it does make the exhaust system noiser when u start giving it shit/hard acceleration.

(i know this as i had it upgraded on my car from when i first had the car)

• 6 months later...

I ditched my 5" canon muffler off my 3" exhaust & got a twin tip muffler with 2" tips, worked out perfect :( *but now im bored with the twin tip & putting the old fat sucker on again, I’ll get bored of that again then switch back to twin tip lol*

dstylez - let us know how you go and how much it costs. I have a 180sx and cabin noise is pretty high (3" CES front/dump + 3" catback/high flow cat), and on long trips I put in the silencer to make it quieter. I am thinking of getting a muffler added before the cannon.

It will make it quiter but it wont stop the droning . To stop that you will have to look at the design of the rear mufler and tip .

hmm thanks for the suggestions, i'm considering getting a centre muffler put in to make it quieter

Sorry to deviate a little. But I have a 3.5" cat back and want to go 3" dump/front (on RB25det in R33), currently standard dump and front. How much difference will this make. I really don't want it any louder!

It currently isnt that noisy - it is a kakimoto cat back...my friends astra turbo with 2.5" cat back is noisier. I dont't really want to have to add anything after I fit the dump to quieten it down.

Thanks

Yeah that might help the original posters Qn.. I think resonators are only about $100 installed or you might want to get a not so straight through rear muffler.

My car already has resonator - but I'd rather not go the dump if another resonator is required...

just wondering whether it will make much difference. I suppose I'm looking for someone who had a relatively quiet 3.5" cat back and then fitted 3" front/dump to see what kind of difference it made.

Thanks