SAU Community

Precision High Flow

cav33r

Hey im looking at getting a highflow done on my r33 gtst and been looking at getting it done by john at precision in wethrill park just wanted to know if anyone has gotten theirs done by him and what they think.

I did that turbo back in 2008, and yes that ball bearing highflow was real good, stock like response and midrange, I think I managed 230rwkw with a Toshi road tune but I was only running 14psi if I remember right

he does plain bearing highflows too but I went with the ball bearing option at the time

If the ball bearing highflow is still the same as it was before, then make sure you give him your turbo return drain so he can modify that to suit the Garrett ball bearing CHRA

standard coolant lines also didn't fit, you could cut the stock lines and fit new rubber hoses and banjos but better to get new lines made up

was quite a bit of work but it was worth it in the end. His after sale service is also good too

Having had skylines that had both precision highflow and GCG highflow I personally prefer the precision, the GCG felt laggier, takes a moment to pick up when you put your foot down

The precision r33 BB highflow was so responsive you could probably opt for OP6 highflow for a bit more top end

never tried the plain bearing highflow from precision so I can't really comment on that, I think I remember John telling me the plain bearing highflow will bolt up to standard coolent lines and oil return drain, but double check that with him

Erwin from Skylinespares also at Wethrill park might know about the plain bearing version, he was the one who recommended Precision to me

let us know how you go

Edited by chiksluvit

Yeah when I was talking to him he actually sugessted staying with the bush bearing until I basically said go as big as possible lol so I think im going to go for the full garrett setup where he actually machines the rear outlet aswell so see how that goes. I just wanted to get some first hand feedback

the BB costs a fair bit more than the plain bearing one I think, he also did recommend plain bearing saying it will make just as much power, but also admitted that the BB one would have better response

just the amount of work of getting the lines right during installation took a bit of time, but was worth it in the end

If I was to do it again then I'd go OP6 rear housing on the BB highflow, r33 21U highflow had stock-like response already, I think I could do with slightly less response for more top end

and boost it up to 17psi :banana:

Edited by chiksluvit

Well from what he has qouted me its $1600 for the highflow and re do all the oil lines with the op6 rear housing so its still fairly cheap seeing as though I dont have to change manifolds and dump pipes

Not that I want to take away from precision, because I understand they do some good work. But an informed decision is a good decision, so you should have a look at the hypergear thread in FI. He has just about tried every type of hi flow combination known to man on RB25s.

It appears a fair bit cheaper than what you've been quoted too.

• Like 1

Yeah ive been checking his stuff out too, and I agree with you he has done every type of setup possible lol. And I have priced up the two from precision and hypergear and after ive gotten the braided oil lines and the high pressure actuator on the wastegate which on the hypergear setup its extra and the precision setup there included they arent actually much different in price. The precision setup is still a bit more expensive but he is in wethrill park and I dont need to muck around with posting it down and worrying about it lol.

The Garrett cores aren't cheap

Price hasn't changed much since, I paid a bit less back then but had to do the lines and drains separately which would've add up to about the same. If he's supplying the OP6 housing then that's cheap

Heard lots of good things about hypergear and I also just installed one myself, don't know how it goes just yet caus I have injector issues to sort first

Not sure if Stao is still offering BB highflows but otherwise you'll need to compare hypergear with precisions bush bearing highflow to be fair, they cost roughly the same

As far as ive seen stao only really does bush bearings. And I guess only time will tell. Im more then happy to pay a bit extra if I dont have to muck about sending my turbo here there and everywhere just as long as im happy with the result I think thats all that matters

We can definitely high flow them in ball bearings, how ever there isn't any point doing so as it makes no differences in end result. We make up own exhaust side wheels for very specific purposes so our high flows are not in standard Garrett wheel patterns. This mainly makes the turbocharger been able to discharge good volume of air while working with restrictive factory housings. That stabilizes boost control across all rev ranges, while keeping knock level under control based on a minimum of 12 degrees ignition advance in upper revs using P98 fuel. There for, the engine makes power happily with factory drive ability that has very limited boost or power tappering in upper revs.

Using our standard 21U high flow, 260rwkws is usually archived based on 19psi of boost, 280rwkws would be the maximum capacity internally gated at 24psi. 24psi is usually reached by 3500RPMs, More power is achievable if a proper manifold and external gate is used. That makes a very drive-able high performance street / track car. You can find all results on our high flow threads, the latest few pages would be from our current development.

• Like 2