SAU Community

Time For A New Clutch

cpark

Hi all

My clutch started slipping something fierce since Saturday and looks as though I'll need to replace very soon.

It's still the stock clutch from what I can tell and only have the following mods at present:

* Nismo cat back exhaust

* K&N panel filter

* Boost restrictor pill removed

* Air box blanking plate removed

* Nismo engine oil cooler

Planning future mods to achieve around 300kwatw (max.) and would like some recommendations on clutches. Looking to hopefully get it out for 1 or 2 track days a year and the occasional launch here and there.

It's being used as a daily but I'm not too fussed about driveability issues that some people have said with twin/triple plates as I'm sure like anything you'll just learn to live with it.

The nismo twin plate coppermix is a little on the exxy side for me at the moment and was looking into the twin plate Xtreme clutches but not too sure on which one would be best suited to the above applications.

Also considering the single plate nismo super coppermix.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Also, any recommendations on who I should take it to for install in ACT and roughly how much you think it would cost I install.

Cheers

Chris

Edit: Fail read the whole thing idiot..

Get one made by NPC or the likes. OR get one to do until can afford a nismo twin. They are amazing.

Edited by Anfanee

Yep it's a daily. I have another car (Ralliart Lancer) but honestly it's been sitting in the garage since I bought the R and taken out for a drive once a week to keep the charge up.

Although it's a daily I don't mind it being "difficult" to drive as I'm sure I'll get used to it. Gotta love the rattle from twins/triples :)

It gets old trust meh. Ill be pulling my tripple out when the gearbox comes out in favour of a nismo. they suck in traffic man.

Just get one Built by NPC, very well priced and heaps better than those xtreme ones.

Thank

How would you rate the single plate nismo coppermix? I can source one for just under a grand and had one previously in my s15 which held up well (260kwatw).

Have heard good things about the NPC clutches.

Would be looking at around the $1-$1.5k mark at the moment for the clutch kit. Then probably look to change out later on down the track to either a custom NPC or the nismo twin plate (probably a good 2 years away till I get the mods to where I would want them to be).

How much do you reckon for install and anything else that I should get them to replace at the same time (e.g. spigot bearing, etc)?

Cheers

No idea on $$ to replace, have not done one yet. Wouldn't have thought it would be too much.

Call Trojan/Ultimate tunes/ESP/Autotech and ask.

Honestly if i was in this situation i would garage the R for a month or so and save the difference in fuel alone to justify the nismo twin. Just saying....

I have an Xtreme twin plate your welcome to come test to see how you like it. Easy to drive but yes they rattle with the clutch in.

Xtreme are Australian award winning clutches. A heap better than they were years ago.

Nismo twin is the pick but as you pointed out $$$. These don't make a noise (organic) and feel so similar to stock.

Estimate $400 to $500 in labour on top of clutch purchase.

DIY and bend something you have no comeback - just saying because it happens a lot to the uninitiated.

Half the shops in Canberra still get it wrong !

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

So called the guys at NPC and the HD single plate organic seems to be the way to go.

Would still be interested in the Xtreme twin. Might give you a call Richard to see how it feels before making up my mind. Do they come in pull type rather than push otherwise I'll need to factor in the conversion kit too.

Seems like it king to be around the $660 mark for install of clutch and flywheel but may as well get other fluids changed out at the same time (atessa, gbox, t. case and diffs).

Thanks everyone

No idea on $$ to replace, have not done one yet. Wouldn't have thought it would be too much.

Call Trojan/Ultimate tunes/ESP/Autotech and ask.

Honestly if i was in this situation i would garage the R for a month or so and save the difference in fuel alone to justify the nismo twin. Just saying....

Thanks waiting for some quotes which should come trough tomorrow.

The other car actually uses more fuel than the R! Can only manage around 250 on a tank in city driving whereas I will get around 300-350 with the GTR.

Clutches are mainly pull now days. coz all you young'uns :P

It's harder to get a push

Edit:

I went overboard on mine and got a big bastard with a huge clampload (1300kgs - overkill)

So it's obviously going to be a bit rougher.

Edited by Sinista32
  • Like 1

Thanks waiting for some quotes which should come trough tomorrow.

The other car actually uses more fuel than the R! Can only manage around 250 on a tank in city driving whereas I will get around 300-350 with the GTR.

jesus christ buy another car!

As for where to go Trojan are pretty awesome. I would like to recommend them to skyliners. Also, Ultimate Tunes' rep Anfanee :P seems to take his car there a lot so it must be pretty good as well as Anfanee doesn't joke around with his GTR.

How I personally see it, if Richard will allow John (Trojan) to work on his R32 GTR then it must be a pretty good shop.

p.s I hope you're not backing out on the cruise! :(

Edited by RosieR34

I have always preferred multi plate clutches. Adapted to them really easily.

I had the Ogura twin in the GTR for ages but upgraded to a quad when I went single turbo.

Might be available for a good price if you're interested but just got to check :)