SAU Community

Fuel Pressure Video. Is This Good Or Bad?

joe blo

Hi mates I'm troubleshooting my car. Had some problems of what I beleieve was related to fuel filter, it wasn't flowing too good wen I removed it. I've put a new one in now.

It's in a rb20. Fuel setup is the lift pump shown in the vid into surge tank then 044 into fuel filter to the fuel reg and rail and stuff. The lift pump is unknown and prob not a real good thing goin off the $29 price tag on the receipt I got with the car tho it obviously worked initially as made 330rwhp on a competent tuners dyno after tune. It's prob a couple years old now.

I'm goin to change it to a carter black.

My main reason for the post is for thoughts on the gauge flickering and losing pressure once motor is started.

Also listening to the fuel pump varying in noise would that suggest anything? Maybe differing quantities of fuel being available to it? I believe the main noise if from the 044. Could be voltage differing to it tho

The car was inconsistent in performance recently. Sometimes it would pull good and sometimes it would not right down like no fuel . Turning the boost down helped some but was still apparent.

Thanks mates

You won't learn a great deal about fuel pressure at idle as far as I'm concerned. It needs to be on a dyno with a bit of boost behind it to see if it is stable when fuel is actually going into the engine. the Engine isn't consuming much fuel at idle so fuel pressure might jump a little. Although the fact that the fuel pump changes note isn't a good sign. If it says its a $29 pump, change it right now. No fuel pump worth $29 has ever given good results. Best to just change it to something good right now.

Someone else with a bit more experience may shed some more light, but I think fuel pump needs to be upgraded to something better regardless

Can't quite see from the video but I don't like the way you said " lift pump to surge tank then 044 to fuel filter to reg and rail" I hope you meant from fuel filter to rail and then regulator.

I haven't watched the video, but it's completely normal for the fuel pressure to drop when the engine starts.

The vacuum in the manifold means the pressure drops accordingly.

Edited by Ben C34