SAU Community

PowerFC Tune Cost?

Black33

I'd say between $400-$500. Cost me $500 at Ice to get mine tuned, thats pretty standard.

Sounds about right... If your like me every little detail needs to be addressed, and it's quite common for a car to be tuned on more than one occasion.. so allow for it.

Just hope you don't have a MOTEC ECU, coz you can easily tripple/quadruple that figure of $400-500 for tuning time.

GTR's being tuned on a 2WD dyno need to allow for time/cost to remove the front driveshaft, so add that to your figure aswell.

David, when you go see the boys about my pump have a chat to'em, they pretty straight up with you.

Do they have to install the Power FC aswell as a tune?.. really I can't see them spending more than 2hours tuning your car, the only headaches that cause extra dyno time are if an issue is spotted whilst the car is on the dyno eg: misfiring etc etc... But you should be right.

David, when you go see the boys about my pump have a chat to'em, they pretty straight up with you.

Do they have to install the Power FC aswell as a tune?.. really I can't see them spending more than 2hours tuning your car, the only headaches that cause extra dyno time are if an issue is spotted whilst the car is on the dyno eg: misfiring etc etc... But you should be right.

thanks mate,

thats more like what i thought, 2-3hrs on the dyno - I'll give Nige a call

Just hope you don't have a MOTEC ECU, coz you can easily tripple/quadruple that figure of $400-500 for tuning time.

Whats makes you say that? I would have thought an already installed Motec would be quicker/cheaper to tune as they have laptop software, and a lot of them even have auto tune features that work closed loop off a wide band lambda sensor so only require tweakign not complete mapping.

That said i think certain workshops take liberties when tuning, say an R33 with IC, pod filter, exhaust and 13psi. How many do they see a month, and how different will the finished tunes be from one another?

Then again ICE are charging me $500 for a tune which i think is good value considering im running bigger injectors, Q45 AFM, cams, cam gears and bigger turbo...so its a lot more work then a reasonably std car... :P

Its sounds as though they are a very busy workshop which is always a good thing, just hope they can get my car tuned this week

Roy,

I had this convo with a mate the other day, about the MOTEC when he had it fitted to his STi MY03. He said although being one of the best tuneable ECU's on the market, they were more suited to a race car than an everyday car. That's why he got rid of it. They were tempramental to climate changes~"which sounded weird to me". But also they required alot more tuning time than others ECU's. I'm also pretty sure Ben from Racepace has a MOTEC on his GTR, and if I recall correctly, he is forever continuosly tuning his car...

I should have dyno prints from tomorrow so anyone wants to see them I'll bring them to NDSOC meeting at Whitehorse Hotel.

I've seen a few Creatd cars and they run pretty hard.

Simon I'd guess Ben is just hunting the perfect tune. I believe new MoTeC has self learning so can deal well with climate changes.

Motec doesn't have "autotune" but it does have "autolambda" where you can set the current load point to a preset Air/Fuel ratio.

Tuning is so complicated. Manufacturers don't spend hours and hours in climate controlled dynos for their own amusement :P

We charge about $300 for a stockish( ie. normal mods ) to tune the Power FC and have the laptop software.

What you are paying for is expertise...

Cheers

ken

We charge about $300 for a stockish( ie. normal mods ) to tune the Power FC and have the laptop software.

What you are paying for is expertise...

Cheers

ken

Does that include shipping from Melbourne and back?

:(

Gojira. I understood you could set a pre-determined lambda value for the load point and it would self learn to a certain extent. Had exclusive access to a couple of the MoTeC people for a whole day as we use their product in some of our military applications. Trying to get the 'company' to pay my way on their tuning and race engineering courses.

Great gear but way to rich for my pocket.

Gojira. I understood you could set a pre-determined lambda value for the load point and it would self learn to a certain extent. Had exclusive access to a couple of the MoTeC people for a whole day as we use their product in some of our military applications. Trying to get the 'company' to pay my way on their tuning and race engineering courses.

Haha good luck... Maybe you can mention that the M880 is Mil spec...

Unfortunately I had to just flashed my hard earned $$$ :(

Well I did the course a few years ago M800 was new then. And back then you could set the lambda value you wanted but to change the duty cycle based on that required interaction (pressing a key). Someone else asked about "autotune" but they were not keen... Vendor designed training courses do suffer from "that's not a bug, it's a feature" syndrome so it may be the case that they have added an autotune since I did my course and were just pretending it wasn't a problem.

Great gear but way to rich for my pocket.

Yes... funnily enough the MoTeC course convinced me the PowerFC was a better idea LOL :cheers:

I still want an ADL though :)