SAU Community

Hi Flo Gt-ss Turbos?

harks

Has anyone ever considered getting this done? It occur's to me that a turbo option somewhere between the -9/-5 range would make ALOT of people happy. And seems like it would be a perfect match for a 2.6.

I know some people will say its a waste of time and just choose from an existing turbo. But i have a set of GT-SS's where 1 needs a to be rebuilt, and currently have -5's on my car, I enjoy the -5's... but they do lack transient response and are a bit slower to get fired up. So if/when i decide to forge my engine its a perfect oppertunity to swap them out..

My thought would be turbos that could do 350kw on 98 (with all required supporting mods). On a 9:1 compression bottom end it would be a wicked street set-up. Or even with a 2.8 bottom capable of 360kw+ with full boost from say... 3200?... ballistic?

thoughts?

Current setup with -9s 350kw 98 stock compression (maybe lower) built engine etc

Setup in the build currently as did a ring in my engine (injector wiring chaffed)

2.6 9:1 compression nothing lower flex fuel setup and -9s

hopefully will be all done in 3-4months

Will post results when I have them should be fun hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

Hawkins turbos are more resembling of a -5 now than a -7. Hard to directly compare to your average joe with of-shelf items :)

I know someone with something very similar in the pipeline currently

You knew someone that had it too, long ago now though lol - Me :)

All info here:

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/350440-dyno-comparo-various-twins-rb26/

I spoke to GCG yesterday asking about highflowing my -7's, he said that just results in a -5. Is that right? My understanding of watching the motivedvd vids is that the inlet size is smaller than a -5 but the comp cover is machines enough to fit the larger wheel?

Edited by Jaeyon

That raises an interesting question... if the machining was done just to fit the -5 compressor wheel, with stock inlet diameter, would that give higher too end without -5 lag (obviously not -5 power, let's say a midpoint) OR would it be -5 lag with no real benefit because of the heavier larger moving parts with a restriction.

I would think it would be the latter?