SAU Community

Cvt Extroid (lloyd, Toroidal) 8-speed Gear Box Overheating & Servicing On 350gt-8 (pv35) Sedan

• 2 weeks later...

I had my 2002 V35 cvt-8 gearbox serviced last week at Wairau Nissan on the North Shore. Was a few coins over $1000 for the service. Gearbox never had an issue prior with 135k on the clock so was more about giving it a longer lifespan. The fluid came out slightly dirty and the biggest thing I noticed after the service was it seemed to have more drive off the line.Particully notacable when sitting on a hill in gear I no longer need to have the brake on to hold the car from rolling back.

• Like 1

Did Nissan do the TCU (Transmission Control Module) fluid deteoration fluid sensor reset as well??

Did they replace the o-ring & filter also?

I've got the same model with 90,000kms now & CVT.CO.NZ aren't interested in sending me the tranny filter & o-ring seperately!!!

Any chance you can find out the cost to ship the KTF-1 oil from North Shore Nissan to Gordon, 2072, NSW via Sea Mail & not courier via you???

Edited by PaulReeves.com - GPOWER.TV

yes i do. i think ive got them for sale for $45 for both + postage.

You sure the Gasket is the same for the GT-8 because you bought yours for the Y34 Gloria, didn't you Lee-Ham???

Im assuming they reset the tcu but after talking to the head mechanic the tcu doesnt accuratly monitor how hard the box has been driven. So you may have driven the hell out of your car for the last 40000k and the wear counter will only log that as a casual cruise.

Did Nissan do the TCU (Transmission Control Module) fluid deteoration fluid sensor reset as well??
Did they replace the o-ring & filter also?

I've got the same model with 90,000kms now & CVT.CO.NZ aren't interested in sending me the tranny filter & o-ring seperately!!!

Any chance you can find out the cost to ship the KTF-1 oil from North Shore Nissan to Gordon, 2072, NSW via Sea Mail & not courier via you???

can Nissan over there not do the transmission for you? it took some convincing for the dealer to even get nissan head office to send two bottles of KTF to do the service because of the price.

http://www.citynissan.co.nz/general-enquiry

Edited by winkienz
  • Like 1

You sure the Gasket is the same for the GT-8 because you bought yours for the Y34 Gloria, didn't you Lee-Ham???

Why don't you go to Nissan and ask for the part numbers and then cross-check with the images on my for sale page?

CVT .co.nz sell the same package for Y34 and GT-8. I don't see why an RE0 gearbox would have two different shaped dumps between models.

I'm not going to do your homework for you.

Also if you want cheaper oil, do a search and find one of my posts from late last year for a link to a website. $800 for 12L delivered

• Like 1

Why don't you go to Nissan and ask for the part numbers and then cross-check with the images on my for sale page?

CVT .co.nz sell the same package for Y34 and GT-8. I don't see why an RE0 gearbox would have two different shaped dumps between models.

I'm not going to do your homework for you.

Also if you want cheaper oil, do a search and find one of my posts from late last year for a link to a website. $800 for 12L delivered

I only found the web site global.rakuten.com.

Is that the one you were referring to Lee?

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/453809-y34-body-kit-extroid-cvt-suspension/#entry7479057

• 2 months later...

Hey felas.

I've been in talks with Gerrit from CVT.CO.NZ and he is suggesting I not buy the KTF-1 oil from Global.Rakuten Japanese web site because a couple have done so & now have stuffed transmissions!!! Is this the fact??? Or his just wishy washy talking me down from buying from Rakuten for cheaper & therefore him losing out???

He says if I don't have the TCU Reset, my car will start to limp after a short while because the oil contamination sensor counter has not been reset by doing the correct adaptation procedures.

Has anyone on here bought from Global Rakuten & used the KTF-1 without any hassles???

Here are the screen shots below;

post-139129-0-73053700-1438036237_thumb.jpg

He didn't say don't buy the KTF-1 from Jp- he just said make sure you buy the CORRECT oil, otherwise you will blow your CVT, which is true.

What about the adaptation procedure he is talking about?

That doesn't explain why I should or not follow his instructions.

There's an auto box on eBay for $550. Add shift kit, throw it in, laugh around town. Will save you the hassle of going through all this with a massive possible downside.

I'm sure the guy at nzcvt is heaps happy you posted for all to see that he is happy to commit a crime and under declare the value to avoid tax.

Auto won't simply bolt in though, not electrically.

You will need the Consult 3 unit to reset the oil contaminant counter.

Well Gerrit is suggesting I can do it all by myself.

So I've had enough guess work.

Will just take a gamble & get his $1,600 CVT kit & then see how it's meant to be done.

It seems only the Waikaru, NZ fela had Nissan GT-8 Extroid flushed & even then he reckons they didn't reset the TCU...

I can't imagine the ECU jumping into 'limp' mode just because you don't reset the fluid det counter. Some have suggested there may be some changes in the way the TCU controls the transmission based on the fluid age. I haven't seen anything official to confirm this and I have my doubts this is any more than a plain old counter, but if it is true, it would be a good idea to reset the counter when you replace the fluid.

No idea if there is a 'non-consult3' way of doing this on the V35. I know for sure it is a consult only procedure on the maxima CVT TCU..

Edited by sonicii
  • Like 1

I can't imagine the ECU jumping into 'limp' mode just because you don't reset the fluid det counter.

this what I have said to others.

But even if it did, I would much prefer the peace of mind knowing the oil is changed.

As far as the Y34 goes, there is a km's counter menu in the navigation system used to monitoring service intervals. It can be reset with a few buttons. Have no confirmation that it would actually affect the TCU though.

• Like 1